Aye, any Canadians out there?

BBMacLaird

Although I think in "Canadian" the phrase might be "Any Canadians out there, eh?" [emoji1], we appreciate the heads up.

Thanks for thinking of us.

Does it show that I'm not fluent in Canadian? Though if I had said it out loud I would have know to pronounce "out" as "oot" :D

Does it show that I'm not fluent in Canadian? Though if I had said it out loud I would have know to pronounce "out" as "oot" :D

Nice try, but I don't know anyone who pronounces "out" as "oot' not even our east coasters who have a distinctive accent much like your east coasters.

....but because we're "nice", we won't hold it against you.:rolleyes:

Nice try, but I don't know anyone who pronounces "out" as "oot' not even our east coasters who have a distinctive accent much like your east coasters.

....but because we're "nice", we won't hold it against you.:rolleyes:

Thanks macmax, I appreciate the leniency :)

Thanks macmax, I appreciate the leniency :)

The best solution to your interest in our language is, of course, to spend some time with Canadians on board your next cruise.

We could even organize a Spelling Bee that reflects proper usage [emoji1].

We're waiting for a quote for a fall Med. itinerary to take advantage of this sale. I am not from the East, and although I spend lots of time in the States, I was identified as Canadian lately by some who caught me saying 'oot'.[/QUOT.

We had table mates on one cruise who spoke with (what I thought) a Newfy accent . When I asked where on the "rock" they were from they said that they were from the Ottawa Valley.

Accents can be very interesting.

We had table mates on one cruise who spoke with (what I thought) a Newfy accent . When I asked where on the "rock" they were from they said that they were from the Ottawa Valley.

Yes they can! There are some very interesting accents in the Ottawa Valley, indeed. But for interesting accents, my TA takes the cake. She's from New Zealand, but has lived in Dallas for something like 30 years or more. Very pleasant accent, but definitely unique.

We got out Canadian booking, btw, so we're onboard Journey on September 30th in Rome!

We're waiting for a quote for a fall Med. itinerary to take advantage of this sale. I am not from the East, and although I spend lots of time in the States, I was identified as Canadian lately by some who caught me saying 'oot'.[/QUOT.

One hypothesis might be that both areas were settled by large influxes of those of Irish rural origin, hence the similarity.

We have a town near us which is also a valley location and of Irish heritage. Until recently, the inhabitants spoke with a unique, for this area, syntax and accent. One such greeted me one day with, "Good morning sir, she's a brrrr out there!" Colourful and correct.

To go back on topic thanks again, Bonnie, for the posting, as it has provided some alternatives for us.

Was completely entertained by this little conversation. The Ottawa Valley is more rural Nova Scotia than Newf in accent similarity and, in colloquial exclamations like "my stars". Lived in both NS and Ontario/Ottawa area. I think some similarity in early settler history....

So interesting that in general folks (even Canadians) think Canadians are fairly similar in accent (Newfoundland is always excepted) when we do have distinct regional differences.

In BC for instance, you order SCA-lops in Nova Scotia SKOL-ups

A BC baby has a soother, a Nova Scotia baby has a sookie. And a good insult is to say someone is a sookie-baby (a cry baby)!

So fun!

Was completely entertained by this little conversation. The Ottawa Valley is more rural Nova Scotia than Newf in accent similarity and, in colloquial exclamations like "my stars". Lived in both NS and Ontario/Ottawa area. I think some similarity in early settler history....

So interesting that in general folks (even Canadians) think Canadians are fairly similar in accent (Newfoundland is always excepted) when we do have distinct regional differences.

In BC for instance, you order SCA-lops in Nova Scotia SKOL-ups

A BC baby has a soother, a Nova Scotia baby has a sookie. And a good insult is to say someone is a sookie-baby (a cry baby)!

So fun!

Yes it is, and endlessly fascinating. I agree with the Ottawa Valley being much more like Nova Scotia than Nfld. Many settlers from Scotland and Ireland. Also areas with lots of Poles. I have a friend in Florida who is from Nfld originally but has lived in the States for many decades--she is still identifiably from Newfoundland to me, yet I have a friend here in Toronto who has new Newfoundland accent whatsoever, born and bred.

Here we call them pacifiers. Elsewhere they can be called dum-dums.

Well, this thread is going off the rails, as all good threads do in the end.

The Irish settlers certainly had a huge influence on the accent and the music in the Ottawa valley.

Another element in the Ottawa valley accent is Polish, in particular the Kashub's. It also shows up in the vaguely polka-like rhythms of some of the music in the Ottawa valley.

There are parts of Texas where the same diaspora influenced the accents and music. You can nearly hear the polkas in some traditional Texas swing tunes.

Maybe there is small part of Dallas where the kids speak with a semi-Kiwi accent because they live near our travel agent.

I'm looking forward to meeting some of you in September.