Azamara - Australia / NZ

Karen Lynn

Anyone done this itinerary in February ?

Wondering what the waters are like given a smaller vessel?

Thanks ..

We sailed on Celebrity Mercury late January 2008. Mercury was in the Century class, bigger than Azamara, but not as big as the Millenium class ships.

Unfortunately, we had rain in Sydney for our pre cruise stay and as we left Sydney harbour it was quite bumpy. However the weather then improved and we had beautiful weather the entire cruise. The Tasman sea was like a mill pond, no movement what so ever, which I am told is unusual!

Who can look into the future and predict the weather?

Two years ago we did Tahiti to Singapore on a Princess R-ship with stops on the north island of NZ and Sydney to Darwin on Oz. We docked in Cairns on March 18 and just dodged Cyclone Nathan leaving.Cairns. So cyclone season does not end in February. We had little issue with ship's movement during the two days near Nathan.

We've done three or four Atlantic crossings on Azamara ships. We felt the most motion on a 3000-passenger ship coming out of Madeira heading to Miami. You may get calm seas or big waves. No one can predict. But the weather is the issue, not being on an R-ship.

Two years ago we did Tahiti to Singapore on a Princess R-ship with stops on the north island of NZ and Sydney to Darwin on Oz. We docked in Cairns on March 18 and just dodged Cyclone Nathan leaving.Cairns. So cyclone season does not end in February. We had little issue with ship's movement during the two days near Nathan.

We've done three or four Atlantic crossings on Azamara ships. We felt the most motion on a 3000-passenger ship coming out of Madeira heading to Miami. You may get calm seas or big waves. No one can predict. But the weather is the issue, not being on an R-ship.

Makes sense ...appreciate the feedback

No one can predict. But the weather is the issue, not being on an R-ship.

Azamara Quest

We recently did a crossing from Southampton to Montreal. We were in the path of Tropical Storm Ian. Captain Jose, did an excellent job of avoiding the eye of the storm, steering a more southerly route towards the Azores. We had one night where we went through the tail of the storm, which could not be avoided if we were to keep to our Port schedule. When we were in Quebec, the CD told us that he had had lunch with the CD from the other ship in port ( I cannot remember the name now) They had spent FOUR very uncomfortable days going through the eye of the storm.

I am of the opinion that Azamara captains look after their passengers!

Edited by upwarduk

Azamara Quest

We recently did a crossing from Southampton to Montreal. We were in the path of Tropical Storm Ian. Captain Jose, did an excellent job of avoiding the eye of the storm, steering a more southerly route towards the Azores. We had one night where we went through the tail of the storm, which could not be avoided if we were to keep to our Port schedule. When we were in Quebec, the CD told us that he had had lunch with the CD from the other ship in port ( I cannot remember the name now) They had spent FOUR very uncomfortable days going through the eye of the storm.

I am of the opinion that Azamara captains look after their passengers!

Right. Captain Carl did the same on our last westward crossing. Burns more fuel but makes happy passengers.

Sorry no 'Crystal Balls' in this household[emoji3]

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

To be honest this is the best answer. The Tasman Sea is notorious and because of the geography there may be no way of sailing around rough seas if they happen. It's a very different proposition to the open Atlantic. The seas can whip up pretty quickly. This global site showing Oceania gives a good idea (and we are now in Mid-February). The R ships ride very well, but if it's rough it will be uncomfortable on any ship. Click on "loop":

http://www.weatheronline.co.uk/marine/weather?LEVEL=5&LANG=en&CEL=C&SI=mph&MENU=0&CONT=aupa

We did the Australia/NewZealand trip in January 2016 on the Quest. The crossing was fine, it rained in the Milford Sound (not surprising), the rest of the trip as I remember it was pretty much rain free.

R Ships are really great in rough seas. During our Singapore/Hong Kong cruise we had very rough (20ft. +) seas for a few days in a row and the ship rode fine. That's not to say there weren't some green passengers and crew, but I was surprised how well the little ship handled the seas.

Okay , great info and I appreciate

In the interest of motion sickness ..deck 7 or deck 8 in your opinion? Location better on deck 7 as more midship , slightly forward on deck 8 but I'm seeing lifeboats right below deck 7?

If anyone has cruised on Journey perhaps an opinion?

Hmmm also available are the VX's but AFT #6093

Experience tells me they can be noisier

Again, my thanks

In the interest of motion sickness ..deck 7 or deck 8 in your opinion? Location better on deck 7 as more midship , slightly forward on deck 8 but I'm seeing lifeboats right below deck 7?

Again, my thanks

We were in 6093 in December and had no issues.

Regarding seasickness: Azamara's captains are excellent at giving warnings about upcoming rough seas. If your captain gives such a warning, head to the guest reception desk and ask for meclizine tablets (no charge). If you are at all prone to seasickness, take them this right away. We are not prone, but do so anyway. Why risk losing a vacation day or two? There are also candied ginger outside restaurants and at the guest reception desk and green apples at the latter. No reason to tough it out unnecessarily when the appropriate precautions are right at hand.

Again, my thanks

We like deck 7. We think that it is the quietest deck on the ship. Of course mid ship is best in rough water, just be aware that the laundry room is on deck 7, mid ship on the port side, and that can get very busy and sometimes noisy at times. We usually book a starboard cabin mid ship on deck 7.

Again, my thanks

I like deck 7 too or deck 6 as long as you aren't too far forward over the show lounge. I avoid deck 8 if I can because there are public decks above. Just look at what is near you or above/below you. In heavy weather it makes a big difference in how much movement you get. Low and midship is best. This spreadsheet compiled by poster uktog gives a good narrative on individual cabins.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=394674&d=1474406382

• 1 month later...
Anyone done this itinerary in February ?

Wondering what the waters are like given a smaller vessel?

Thanks ..

I had a similar question on a 'part' section of a Singapore to Sydney cruise (the particular part only available thru RAC Australia from Bali to Perth) right in the middle of monsoon season. Having trouble finding a site that provides historical data during that period for the Indian Ocean, only able to find projected data.

We have just returned from this years Sydney to Auckland on Journey. A fabulous cruise, with sunshine all the way although at times there was a cool breeze, particularly in the south of the South Island. Unfortunately those on the reverse itinerary in March were not so lucky.

There was a very slight swell crossing the Tasman but nothing major. Captain Johannes always kept us informed of expected sea conditions.