What to do with 3-days in London?

BBMacLaird

"How to Spend 36 Hours in London"....I'd love to hear your thoughts on what we got right in this blog, and any additions or substitutions you'd add if you were spending 3-days in London?

"To help you make the most of your time in London, we’ve put together two 36-hour itineraries: one for a first-time visitor, and one for returnees."

https://www.azamaraclubcruises.com/b...6-hours-london

I would add in a meal or cuppa at St Martin in the Fields Cafe in the Crypt at Trafalgar Square. It's gorgeous and the food is cheap and yummy. Not only that but the shop down there is lovely - check out the advent calendars! For returnees a morning in Greenwich is a must. The naval college Painted Hall is stunning! The Queens House is a free art gallery and there is also the Cutty Sark and Greenwich Observatory. For Harry Potter fans a visit to Leavesden Studios is fun, you can easily get there on public transport.

Sent from my SM-J200Y using Forums mobile app

I think this is a terrific blog. Great photos and maps with walks. Could not ask for more. We had 3 days in London this past December, first time there since 1973. How could that be? Anyway, the highlight of our whirlwind was the Victoria and Albert Museum where we went to 2 special expos, sipped tea in a beautiful cafe and decided we absolutely have to go back for more, which we will this coming April when we will stay for a full 2 weeks.

I agree. An excellent blog. There is so much to see and do in London and they are some very good ideas. I also really enjoy going to Greenwich. You can catch the Thames Clipper river boat down and it takes about half an hour. It's a nice chance to see London from the river and once there you have the Royal Greenwich Observatory, the National Maritime Museum and the tea clipper Cutty Sark. Stop off on the way back over the river in the financial district for a meal and/or drink. There are lots of nice places in the area. Or go to the Grapes in nearby Narrow Street, a 500 year old pub on the Thames. Lots of Dickens history and these days owned by actor Sir Ian McKellen. Very typical and oldy worldy. A nice restaurant upstairs too.

Bonnie

Good blog however a couple of additions and points of accuracy if I may (from a Londoner).

At the Tower of London, the Yeoman warders’ guided tours are informative and funny.

At the National Gallery you might mention two of our greatest English artists, Constable and Turner.

Big Ben is actually the bell in the clock tower, which is now called the Elizabeth Tower.

The best time to ride the London Eye is dusk, going up in daylight and coming down as the lights come on.

Cold beer is a relative term – English real ale is not cold in US/Australian terms!

Harrods is not in Kensington, it is in Knightsbridge.

The British Library has a Magna Carta and a Gutenberg bible as well.

Interesting that you focus on the parks a lot and miss out, for example, the British Museum. There are also the others at South Kensington: Victoria and Albert, Science and Natural History. I suppose that fitting those in a 36 hour trip is not very practical however.

Another suggestion – the river boat trip from Westminster to Greenwich is a great way to see lots of London landmarks with a commentary.

Interesting that you focus on the parks a lot and miss out, for example, the British Museum. There are also the others at South Kensington: Victoria and Albert, Science and Natural History.
I believe entry to these museums is free, unless there is a special seasonal exhibition, but tickets can be bought within the museum on the day for that if you choose to go.

Madame Tussaud's however has an expensive entry fee (£29)

I believe entry to these museums is free, unless there is a special seasonal exhibition, but tickets can be bought within the museum on the day for that if you choose to go.

Madame Tussaud's however has an expensive entry fee (£29)

Sometimes, it depends on how popular the exhibition is - some are time slotted and capacity controlled.

"How to Spend 36 Hours in London"....I'd love to hear your thoughts on what we got right in this blog, and any additions or substitutions you'd add if you were spending 3-days in London?

"To help you make the most of your time in London, we’ve put together two 36-hour itineraries: one for a first-time visitor, and one for returnees."

https://www.azamaraclubcruises.com/b...6-hours-london

Very nice - thank you for posting!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

The boat from Westminster to Hampton is a wonderful way to get to Hampton Court Palace. You'd see all the rowing clubs from palatial clubhouses to little sheds. Go through the locks with a punt squished in with you. Walk where Henry VIII lived and see his tennis court still in use today. Tea at Browns Hotel. Cozy and so British.

I wish I could have even one more day in London.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Imho. The eye, Winston Churchill museum, Kensington palace, tower of London, changing of the guards, St. Paul's cathedral and walk down the aisle understanding that long walk Diana took at her wedding, and Hyde park on Sunday, Harris's and Westminster abbey whew!!!!

Start in Piccadilly Circus.

Walk to Trafalgar Square and visit the National Gallery, if you wish.

Carry on down Whitehall for photo op. with the mounted guards of the Household Cavalry. Continue down Whitehall past the gates of 10 Downing Street. Carry on past the Cenotaph (war memorial) into Parliament Square.

Cross Westminster Bridge for pix of Big Ben and the Houses of Parliament, the London Eye Ferris wheel is there if you want to partake. There are river boat cruises down the Thames to the Tower of London and Tower Bridge from there.

Or walk back across the bridge and go down Birdcage Walk, past St James's Park to Buckingham Palace.

Plenty of pubs and restaurants en-route. Allow 5-6 hours with pit stops. Not too far in miles.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Bollinge - you have reminded of a lovely pub which I missed out in my list - right by the Houses of Parliament and Westminster tube station.

http://ststephenstavern.co.uk/

Has lovely beer and a division bell which rings when there is a vote in the HoP. Obviously a great spot to wait for Big Ben chimes as well. My second favourite pub after the Harp in Chandos Place.

To our US friends - treat Tanglefoot beer with respect (it does exactly what it says!):evilsmile:

We're always spending 2-3 nights in Heathrow airport after our cruises, always trying to figure out where we should go in London by train from our Heathrow Marriott Hotel although we've stayed in London 3X before. We never know which is the best places to see at our age 70+ and not get lost n not be able to get back to hotel before it gets real "Dark/ Very late"! [emoji33]

So this is a good thing please keep it coming! Thanks for all the tips everyone[emoji3]

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Another idea is to go to Fortnum and Masons and just browse around the food hall and buy some English Tea as used by the Queen to take home as gifts. There are also lots of other lovely things to see there foodwise. Alternatively, if you are likely to want a quieter afternoon indulge in English Afternoon Tea at the Ritz, Savoy or Fortnum and Masons (advanced booking essential)

Another great place for a refreshment stop is if you do go on a tour of Buckingham Palace, there is a café on the terrace overlooking the gardens. It is lovely to sit there sipping tea and eating cakes and imagining you are at a Garden Party. Its self service and not the refined elegance of afternoon tea at a hotel but is a great slightly less expensive way to treat yourself.

Imho. The eye, Winston Churchill museum, Kensington palace, tower of London, changing of the guards, St. Paul's cathedral and walk down the aisle understanding that long walk Diana took at her wedding, and Hyde park on Sunday, Harris's and Westminster abbey whew!!!!

If you visit St Paul's it is well worthwhile going up to the Whispering Gallery.

St Paul's itself is best approached these days by using the (pedestrian) Millennium Bridge which crosses the Thames from the restored Globe Theatre on the South Bank.

Very close to St Paul's is the Monument which commemorates the start of the Great Fire of London

It's been years since we spent any time in London. However, my wife's absolute favorite was "the Jack the Ripper walking tour" she still talks about how much she enjoyed it, 20 years later. Not sure if it's still offered, but it was worth the time

http://www.jacktheripperwalk.com/

Starts every night at 7.30 from Tower Hill Tube Station