Since when do they allow pets on Carnival?? Dog on Fascination

island777girl

Hey everyone:

Just got back from the four day Fascination. We were very surprised upon boarding to see a small shih-tzu sitting on a chair beside her owner in the Coconut Grove Grill the. The dog was on the ship the entire cruise and the owners carried her around, she was leased or carried most of the time or passed around to other people. The owner danced in the promenade walkway while a man held the dog. The dog appeared well behaved, but have no idea where it went to the bathrooom!! I had no idea that Carnival allowed pets, besides of course a guide dog. I should bring my own shih tzu and chihuahua next time, NOT!! LOL!! My daughter says maybe she was the CEO's family or something!! Anyone else see pets on Carnival??

on one of our cruises several years ago, one lady had a seeing eye dog with her. the crew fixed it a place to go with some indoor outdoor carpet. i know she got very upset when someone approached the dog and gave it some food without asking her permission...

Probably a service dog. My uncle took his guide lab with him. Everyone on board absolutely loved the dog.

Unfortunately, Carnival was not very good about providing a place for dogs to "go" while taking their walks. Hopefully in the last several years, this has changed.

Probably not, saw one on Caribbean Princess last year and also saw it urinate in the companionway almost every day.

Theres no way in heck that a shih tzus would be a service dog, and I do get Dog World and Dog Fancy Magazine every month, I have never seen a dog that size be a Service Dog. Just not possible. I would of just asked the lady, Im sure she was Uncle Bob Sister.

Heres the Answer:

Does a serviced dog have to be a certain breed?

NO, even though most of the service dogs you meet are

Labrador Retrievers, Golden Retrievers or German Shepherd

Dogs, any breed, mixed or purebred and any size may be a

service dog. The typed of service the dog provides dictated

the size of the service dog. Alert dogs may be small, medium

or large dogs, but seeing eye dogs and mobility dogs must

be large enough and strong enough to take on the task at

hand.

Fred

Theres no way in heck that a shih tzus would be a service dog, and I do get Dog World and Dog Fancy Magazine every month, I have never seen a dog that size be a Service Dog. Just not possible. I would of just asked the lady, Im sure she was Uncle Bob Sister.

Heres the Answer:

hand.

Fred

I don't understand your post. You negated your own opinion with your quote. "Alert dogs may be small, medium or large dogs". No one said the shih tzu was a seeing eye dog.

Probably a service dog. My uncle took his guide lab with him. Everyone on board absolutely loved the dog.

Unfortunately, Carnival was not very good about providing a place for dogs to "go" while taking their walks. Hopefully in the last several years, this has changed.

They did put in those lush putt-putt courses... Allthough I'm not sure they'd appriciate the astro-turf being, well, "soiled" hehe...

Heres the Answer:

hand.

Fred

Fred, small dogs most certainly can be service dogs. I have a friend that has a maltese which is her seizure alert dog, previously she had a poodle. As the quote you posted indicates, they can be any size. Not all dogs have the ability to be a seizure alert/response dog... but they are becoming more and more common in the epilepsy community, many different breeds and sizes.

Heres the Answer:

hand.

Fred

yea this confused me too... are you quoting someone else... or disagreeing w/ yourself?

all a dog has to do to be a "service" dog, is pass the tests that are taken for the job they will be doing..sense seizures, diabetic shock detection, lead the blind, hear for the def, all while never being distracted while they are "working". then, they also need to be able to turn it off when commanded and stop "working"

I'm a veterinarian, and I found this thread interesting.

Service dogs come in all shapes and sizes. They can be used to assist blind people, deaf people, diabetics who can potentially suffer seizures from hypoglycemia. They can also assist epileptics and even people with anxiety disorders. The list has become a good bit longer over the years.

Also, just as aside, miniature horses are being trained as "seeing eye dogs." They are smart, and they can live much longer than your average dog (sometimes more than 30 years).

Dogs (and other animals) are proving to be great assistants for humans in many ways.

On a lighter note........ as a vet, I don't want to take my animals on a cruise. If I bring the animals, I'm not on vacation-- I'm at work!!!

Saling TOMORROW on the Glory!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Beth;)

I travel everywhere with the smallest 10 lbs service dog. She can alert to problems with diabetes and does so with my husband. She alerts me to changes in my MS, migrains, acid reflux, and several other problems that people with MS sometimes have. She will even alert if I'm in the sun too long. She travels with me everywhere and has been on 7 cruises so far and we are planning to take her on a TA cruise in November. The potty area is usually a small box of cypress mulch. Sometimes dogs have a lot of trouble going in such a small area which may be some dog's troulble or they could have sea sickness. just don't judge just ask if you can help get them some help.My little dog came to live with our family when we were in a high rise apartment in DC so we just litter trained her like a cat using special dog litter which I am happy to say is what Carnival is using for this purpose now. We just keep her box in our bathroom and make frequent stops. It is very hard to get a dog onto a ship. You not only have to get paperwork from the cruiseline but from everywhere you stop. It takes sometimes months to get anseweres from foreign countries, So next time you see something unsual, small dog or anything else that is weird don't jump. Just ask . You may learn something new about our furry friends.

• 1 year later...

Funny to find this thread because I was on that cruise. I was so happy to see such a cute little dog that I spoke to the owner about it. Yes, it was a service dog. The owner spoke about her epilepsy. Her mother and stepfather were with her. No one seemed bothered by the dog at all, if fact I'd say smiles were the general reaction!

We once ate in the dining room and a black lab was at the next table. He was lying on the floor not 3 feet from me. Clearly, the owner was blind. I saw the dog and owner various places around the ship, and they seemed to be getting along fine.

There was a thread about a service dog (small) for anxiety attacks. http://www.k9web.com/dog-faqs/service.html This shows all the different kinds. I think someone said they had a dog for "panic attacks" because every time they left the dog behind it triggered a panic attack, so now the dog travels with her so she does not get them.... go figure.

My husband and I were on the Carnival Legend a few years back with a large contingent of blind cruisers (about 200), most of whom had service dogs with them. Carnival provided doggy litter boxes (plastic baby pools filled with doggy litter). They used the smaller room adjacent to the main dining room for meals. Everyone did fine and seemed to have a great time!

i work in public transportation.i don't know if its law or our policy but any animal `must be accepted as service animal on the word of the person only .we had a passenger refused by a driver who claimed kitten was service animal.it turned out that her mental health doctor did indeed use a kitten to stabilize her disorder .it was legitimate.

I think it would be a good idea to somehow identify that it's a service animal, so that people wouldn't question why there was an animal in an area where they usually aren't allowed. A jacket on the larger animals and maybe a distinguishable collar on the smaller ones.

Do you think that would be an invasion of privacy:confused:

Archived