Coffee Question

CStorm

When we sailed on Celebrity 9 years ago, their coffee was awful. Some crazy concentrate they mixed with hot water to get "coffee". There was one place on the ship to get a real, brewed cup of coffee. My question is, on Noordam do they also use the concentrate or do they really brew coffee. If they use the concentrate, is there someplace to get "real" coffee?

Thanks!

HAL coffee is brewed, not reconstituted from syrup.

The Lido coffee on my recent Volendam cruise was the best I have ever had on a cruise. It was so delicious I was going back for a second thermal mug full. I've never had more than 2 mugs/1 thermal mug in the morning.

The regular coffee is brewed. You can see them making it in the Lido if you want. If you are in a Neptune Suite, the Neptune Lounge has a machine that fresh brews. If you want the full blown barrista experience, the Explorations Cafe is your best bet. I find the room service coffee to be perfectly acceptable, but I drink mostly for the effect.

The coffee on the Oosterdam this past January was significantly better than on our first cruise on her a couple of years ago. Now whether that was real or perceived I'm not sure, but I did enjoy it a lot more this time round. And freestyling is quite right - Explorations coffee is quite lovely!

The HAL ships have big coffee makers where real coffee is added then brewed. It is not the pre-made stuff. We drink really strong coffee at home and the HAL coffee is good, the Explorer's Café coffee is better - sorry no best but the espresso comes close.

When we sailed on Celebrity 9 years ago, their coffee was awful. Some crazy concentrate they mixed with hot water to get "coffee". There was one place on the ship to get a real, brewed cup of coffee. My question is, on Noordam do they also use the concentrate or do they really brew coffee. If they use the concentrate, is there someplace to get "real" coffee?

Thanks!

AHOY SHIPMATE,

COFFEE is one of my pet peeves on cruise ships. The terrible coffee you referred to was actually a syrup that was mixed with 208 degree water in the urn. The industry misled the wholesale world with sharp salesmen and a cheap price, WHEN DEMOS WERE HELD AN EXACT AMT OF SYRUP was mixed with an exact amt of almost boiling water and then consumed within 5 minutes of making. IT WAS VERY GOOD, but as you all know this is not the real world when serving in volume. so it was a disaster for a few years until the contract ran out.

THE COFFEE GROUNDS USED TODAY ARE PRETTY GOOD (mostly packaged in Holland) but the coffee is brewed in too large a quantity and kept too long in the urn. A COFFEE URN SHOULD BE DRAINED AND CLEANED.... HOURLY.... also the urns are controlled by microchip and the ships waterlines do not maintain a constant pressure which messes up the microchip and causes the finished product to generally be way too strong.

the coffee at the coffee bar is brew a cup at a time and a" gormet" brand,

so it tastes much better. The coffee in the main dining room is brewed at the beginning of each seating and NOT BAD.

YES I was a teacher at the military cooking school for 3 years and did this class every 6th week.

SEA YA

Thanks!

Its funny how coffee differs from each cruise line. On my recent cruise on the Westerdam, the coffee was pretty decent. I love at least two cups a day of good coffee so I bring my favorite national brand of packets just to be sure. Other passengers have commented when they see me making my packet with hot water that they wished they thought to bring some. I just put a couple in my pocket for the day.

mimi

After cruising with a few cruise lines, I have to say that HAL's is not bad. The worst so far has been on the MSC Divina. Thank goodness our drinks package covered coffee from their for-pay coffee bars. Princess has been pretty bad to; once again the for-pay coffee bar (using a coffee card) was decent. HAL's Lido coffee has been fine for me.

The coffee in the Lido on HAL ships is terrible. On every cruise when I fill out the survey at the end I let HAL know I'm not happy. The coffee on the rest of the ship is good to excellent.

Allan

The coffee in the Lido on HAL ships is terrible. On every cruise when I fill out the survey at the end I let HAL know I'm not happy.

How long ago was your last cruise? I ask because the one I was on up until two weeks ago had excellent coffee in the Lido. It was a distinct improvement over what I've had previously.

I think they may have listened to you---so thanks for including it on your survey. It worked! :D