Live review with pics, HAL Oosterdam Vancouver 5/24 - Seward 5/31/2015

cl.klink

Discovery Park is a nature preserve that takes up the northwest part of Seattle and ends on a beach facing Puget Sound, complete with sea gulls and salt air and driftwood with excuse me waves lapping at the shore. That's the NCL Jewel we saw earlier, putting out to sea.

- Joel

3084a9f6c69f8f916848120a11dd07b1.jpg940b43f9696d5e64fc7fcae8c0bea28f.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dinner at Daniel's Broiler to cap off a great 1st day of our trip. The view is facing east, to Lake Washington. The tall buildings to the left are Bellevue.

- Joel

fc716f77924130b182fa76e561df99d2.jpg

d41a9bf487b8dbcade3b87fe8bc6acc9.jpg

ab8349fb418e28e5fa3a4aa5db5125be.jpg

:D I am looking forward to your review. We have been to Alaska Nine times and have been on the Oosterdam a few times. It will be fun to follow your trip as I have been antsy for another cruise to Alaska. Thanks for taking us with you. ENJOY :D

It was so nice to have rented a car yesterday. We had rule of the city and could do what we pleased. Fun to explore too. This morning was easy too. Drove to airport and dropped off car and their shuttle ran faster and more often than hotel's.

Easy uneventful check-in to HAL "Vancouver desk." Now I feel we're part of the HAL umbrella. Feels like the cruise has started.

Taking motor coach to take us from Seattle airport to Vancouver pier.

7addab1465adac3697f75fe8aea85e92.jpg

Driver took us through Seattle and gave a 20 minute tour of downtown, pier, etc, but on freeway or highway so no delays. Pointed out highlights and talked about Seattle and region.

712580e657555271ce84f676d273fe3d.jpg

I love this part of a cruise. Everyone is cheerful, expectant, lots of camaraderie.

- Joel

Bus got us through border in no time. We all had to get off, show passport, answer questions. This time did not need to show our bags even. Through this building and we are IN Canada!

3d507eb96d7d3773df1851a0dc2700db.jpg

Don't mouth off at border. This family did, had to get out of car, everything being sifted with a fine tooth comb.

509458ad0084105bbf084133fbbb1cec.jpg

Arrived at Canada Place at pier!

82cd3fce8ed1c90973f60f4df287c499.jpg

After customs / passport control, then check in, and it's off to the ship!

c09d13544ce37062a7f87d06152f729b.jpg

I love this moment most of all: finally admitted to the inner sanctum of a cruise ship, meeting her for the first time.

a968050f3a4120b3c27456472d71a145.jpg

First impressions of my first HAL ship were good. O is not new, and it shows. But she is cared for and warm. The styles are more classic than splashy, and colors are warm and classy but not shiny glass modernism. I can see some wear on carpets and fabrics but not a speck of dirt. Staff cheerful and inviting. Ship nicely laid out. State room felt bigger than I expected and was in excellent order. Good amount of well planned closet space.

:)Thank you, Col Klink! My sister and I enjoyed the b2b (Vancouver-Seward-Vancouver) itinerary on the Oosterdam last July. We had an aft cabin on deck 5. I am re-living our wonderful cruise via your eyes. All your photos are very helpful indeed for your fellow cruisers. Bon Voyage; may you have as lovely a cruise as we did on the Oosterdam!

Moorings are cast off and the ship is hers and hers alone!

575a017e37a9d22f488ca739a1424656.jpg

Farewell Vancouver.

943daef3e950abe577253100947a5443.jpg

Lions Gate Bridge.

64e634c0f21e36efe6bac6aec024476c.jpg

I realized right away that I am going to LOVE being in an aft cabin. This is the view the captains of the old wooden ships always had. Looking out out window and out onto the ship's wake makes it feel like the ship is sailing for us alone somehow. Feels like we are in the center of it all. Love it.

60bd85282c01c15c927ef03fa5429b46.jpg

On first day, had lunch at Lido and dinner at Pinnacle Grill, signed up for Cooking class for later in cruise, signed up for Internet, signed up for a wine tasting. Starting to get a feel for the ship and the experience. I can't help but compare to our other cruises, 3 of them, all on Celebrity. I find the mood here more serene and calm and relaxing, and Celebrity was more shiny and exciting and wow-ing. I am not trying to say one is better. I am trying to see how each is good. And, they both are. I have found the food less good than it was on Celebrity but perfectly fine and some of it very good. So far would happily look forward to another HAL ship.

Enjoy your cruise!

Our very first cruise was on the Oosterdam out of Seattle. She was only a year or so old then and we had a fabulous time.

Eat some bread pudding for me!! LOL It is served every day in the Lido at lunch.

Wonderful pictures. I especially enjoyed the pics of the fish market. Boy, those fish prices are high. :)

I also enjoyed the pics of Vancouver. I use to live in Coal Harbour in Vancouver and would walk it each day to get to and from work. It was such a wonderful way to start and end your workday.

I am enjoying your reporting. In four weeks I will be on the Oosterdam. Who is the Captain?

Good evening Father,

I am on the Oosterdam on 6/28. I had asked Copper who the Captain would be and his reply was Captain Bos.

Looking forward to meeting you.