Summer Cruise, many kids to Canada?

We haven't taken a cruise in summer in ages, but the itinerary for Veendam the last week in August was so appealing we booked it. Only 1 sea day, and the ports have good "content" (meaning museums and so forth) for DH who does not think a beach day is a good way to spend time.

For those who've done the summer Canada/New England cruises, does this itinerary attract a lot of families? With only one pool on Veendam, I'm wondering if it will be full of splashing kids. Don't flame me! I get it, kids are entitled to have fun. I can live without using the pool. I'm just wondering what it's going to be like on board.

A lot of 3rd/4th pax in the cabins adds to the stewards' workload, means more people in the Lido and MDR, all of which can impact service. I don't want to come back with a "disappointed" thread, so I thought I'd adjust my expectations now.

Of course I don't know for certain, but I highly doubt there will be too many. From what I understand, many American children go back to school in mid August while Canadian and New England children go back the Tuesday after Labour Day. If you are onboard the last week of August that goes into the long weekend then I assume most parents whose children are not in school yet are getting ready for back to school.

Enjoy your cruise.

We haven't taken a cruise in summer in ages, but the itinerary for Veendam the last week in August was so appealing we booked it. Only 1 sea day, and the ports have good "content" (meaning museums and so forth) for DH who does not think a beach day is a good way to spend time.

For those who've done the summer Canada/New England cruises, does this itinerary attract a lot of families? With only one pool on Veendam, I'm wondering if it will be full of splashing kids. Don't flame me! I get it, kids are entitled to have fun. I can live without using the pool. I'm just wondering what it's going to be like on board.

A lot of 3rd/4th pax in the cabins adds to the stewards' workload, means more people in the Lido and MDR, all of which can impact service. I don't want to come back with a "disappointed" thread, so I thought I'd adjust my expectations now.

The Historic Coasts attracts families for several reasons, among them that it's RT Boston. The only effect I saw was on the lines for early "any dam time" dining. The pool was frothing a bit too. If this is your cruise it is a wonderful one.

Of course I don't know for certain, but I highly doubt there will be too many. From what I understand, many American children go back to school in mid August while Canadian and New England children go back the Tuesday after Labour Day. If you are onboard the last week of August that goes into the long weekend then I assume most parents whose children are not in school yet are getting ready for back to school.

Enjoy your cruise.

Labor Day is late this year, so there will be a week for getting ready after the cruise.

We did the Canada/NE cruise in June 2013 on the Veendam, and had about 75 kids onboard. They were well-behaved and not a problem, and most were older, around pre-teen age. Honestly, I don't think this itinerary attracts a lot of kids because it's not terribly kid-friendly or exciting.

Considering your cruise is at the end of August (even with a late Labor day), I wouldn't expect that many kids. While I know schools in the northeast go back after Labor day, the South and most of the rest of the country is back in session long before Labor day, taking out a big chunk of the cruising kid population. IMHO, late August and September are great times to cruise - if I could go then, I certainly would!

I've done this cruise twice. The first time we left the last day in August and there were very few kids on board, if any. I don't remember seeing any.

The second time we left August 17th and there were quite a few kids on board. The Lido pool was quite busy with kids, but that was the only impact we felt.

Debbie

With Labor Day so late this year, the students at the school division that I teach at will begin classes on the 31st of August. In Canada, school divisions set their own calendar. I think that a cruise this late in August would have very few children. Enjoy!

Laurie