Back after 50 years - and Pinnacle/Specialty dining questions

Tom-n-Cheryl

Hello !

Just booked my 50th reunion (with HAL!) - some of you may recall my previous posts to this board about a transatlantic sailing I made in 1966 with my parents. A couple of years ago I got in touch with HAL and within ONE day they had verified my previous sailing, issued a Mariner Society number, and gave 7 days credit.

So - I'm making a return trip in '16 "just because" !! :D We were able to book one of the aft corner suites on the Westerdam (deck 5). Those appear to have AMAZING balconies !

> Is it possible to make reservations for the Pinnacle Grill prior to embarkation?

> Is there a sample menu that someone could provide a link to?

> What's the cost pp ?

> Do they have meals in there for Breakfast and Lunch, and if so - what is the cost, if any ?

> Are there other specialty dining options onboard?

On ships which have specialty dining, that's where we typically dine each evening. I can't even recall the last time we ate in the MDR.

Thanks,

Tom

Edited by Tom-n-Cheryl

Hello !

Just booked my 50th reunion (with HAL!) - some of you may recall my previous posts to this board about a transatlantic sailing I made in 1966 with my parents. A couple of years ago I got in touch with HAL and within ONE day they had verified my previous sailing, issued a Mariner Society number, and gave 7 days credit.

So - I'm making a return trip in '16 "just because" !! :D We were able to book one of the aft corner suites on the Westerdam (deck 5). Those appear to have AMAZING balconies !

> Is it possible to make reservations for the Pinnacle Grill prior to embarkation?

> Is there a sample menu that someone could provide a link to?

> What's the cost pp ?

> Do they have meals in there for Breakfast and Lunch, and if so - what is the cost, if any ?

> Are there other specialty dining options onboard?

On ships which have specialty dining, that's where we typically dine each evening. I can't even recall the last time we ate in the MDR.

Thanks,

Tom

Congratulations on 5090 or 5091 and their fully-covered balconies.

Those two staterooms are our favorites. A special note, you will be only a two-minute elevator ride from the Room Service kitchen so all of your food should be at a perfect temperature.You can purchase PG dinners online on the HAL website for $29 p/p.

PG Dinner menu. Note that crab legs are now deleted. I will post the new menu to my website soon:

http://www.rogerjett-photography.com/here/wp-content/uploads/2013/04/Pinnacle-Grill-Dinner.pdf

PG Lunch menu:

http://www.rogerjett-photography.com/here/wp-content/uploads/2013/06/Pinnacle-Grill-Lunch.pdf

PG Breakfast menu for Neptune Suites guests only:

http://www.rogerjett-photography.com/here/wp-content/uploads/2014/12/Pinnacle-Grill-Braeakfast.pdf

Here is a link to my scanned Specialty Restaurant, Beverage, and Room Service menus:

http://www.rogerjett-photography.com/here/wp-content/uploads/2014/12/Pinnacle-Grill-Braeakfast.pdf

I will have updates to the Le Cirque (one night per cruise served in the PG for $49 p/p) and the PG wine lists on my website next week.

The Canaletto, serving Italian dishes in a corner of the Lido Restaurant for $10 p/p is a tasty option.

Edited by Crew News

I don't know how long your cruise is, but if it is over 7 days, there could be other options - either the Cellar Master dinner or the Master chef's table.

They vary from $69-$89 per person and are well worth it. Highly recommended.

If the PG and Le Cirque are important, then yes, I would book them on line before you go.

Ask about the other two dinners when you board. If your cruise is 7 days or less, the odds are they will not be offered, sorry.

One of the best buys IMO is the Pinnacle Grill lunch for $10.00. Their hamburger is to die for and there are lots of other choices.

Have fun!

We have quite a few sailing days on the Westerdam.

We do pre-book the Pinnacle -- $29 per person for dinner and $10 per person for lunch.

Since you booked in a corner aft suite -- SB?? -- you can have breakfast every morning in the Pinnacle -- free. Times -- 7:30 - 9 on port days and 8 - 9:30 on sea days.

We also enjoy Le Cirque -- the Pinnacle offers this one evening -- different menu -- $49 per person. We also pre-book this as well.

The only other specialty restaurant is the Canaletto -- dinner only -- $10 per person. We don't care for it -- that is just us.

We also always do the Master Chef's Table and Cellar Master's dinner. The prices we have paid for them on the Westerdam were higher than what Kazu posted. These you can not book until you are on the ship. The Master Chef's Table is limited to 18 people and the Cellar Master's dinner doesn't have a limit. You need to book as soon as you get on the ship as the Master Chef's Table fills up quickly.

Is there a way to find out before my cruise which day PG is LC?

When you try to book a Pinnacle Grill dinner on line, and it's not available that day---that's probably the night they are having Le Cirque.

Is there a way to find out before my cruise which day PG is LC?

1. Login to HAL.

2. Select My Reservations.

3. Choose the Purchase tab.

4. Choose Dining.

5. Select Make Reservations.

You will see Le Cirque listed and by clicking on "Select", you will see the date.

Congratulations on 5090 or 5091 and their fully-covered balconies.

Those two staterooms are our favorites. A special note, you will be only a two-minute elevator ride from the Room Service kitchen so all of your food should be at a perfect temperature.You can purchase PG dinners online on the HAL website for $29 p/p.

PG Dinner menu. Note that crab legs are now deleted. I will post the new menu to my website soon:

http://www.rogerjett-photography.com/here/wp-content/uploads/2013/04/Pinnacle-Grill-Dinner.pdf

PG Lunch menu:

http://www.rogerjett-photography.com/here/wp-content/uploads/2013/06/Pinnacle-Grill-Lunch.pdf

PG Breakfast menu for Neptune Suites guests only:

Here is a link to my scanned Specialty Restaurant, Beverage, and Room Service menus:

I will have updates to the Le Cirque (one night per cruise served in the PG for $49 p/p) and the PG wine lists on my website next week.

The Canaletto, serving Italian dishes in a corner of the Lido Restaurant for $10 p/p is a tasty option.

Great links - thanks !

I don't know how long your cruise is, but if it is over 7 days, there could be other options - either the Cellar Master dinner or the Master chef's table.

They vary from $69-$89 per person and are well worth it. Highly recommended.

If the PG and Le Cirque are important, then yes, I would book them on line before you go.

Ask about the other two dinners when you board. If your cruise is 7 days or less, the odds are they will not be offered, sorry.

One of the best buys IMO is the Pinnacle Grill lunch for $10.00. Their hamburger is to die for and there are lots of other choices.

Have fun!

Yes, that burger caught my eye. If there is a good quality burger option, and they'll cook it to order (rare typically), then I'm all over it. On one of our trips to Vegas I had a list of 4 burger places I had to try - that was a fun week!

edit : yes, ours is just a 7 night sailing. Perhaps we'll get lucky though!

Tom

Edited by Tom-n-Cheryl

We have quite a few sailing days on the Westerdam.

We do pre-book the Pinnacle -- $29 per person for dinner and $10 per person for lunch.

Since you booked in a corner aft suite -- SB?? -- you can have breakfast every morning in the Pinnacle -- free. Times -- 7:30 - 9 on port days and 8 - 9:30 on sea days.

We also enjoy Le Cirque -- the Pinnacle offers this one evening -- different menu -- $49 per person. We also pre-book this as well.

The only other specialty restaurant is the Canaletto -- dinner only -- $10 per person. We don't care for it -- that is just us.

We also always do the Master Chef's Table and Cellar Master's dinner. The prices we have paid for them on the Westerdam were higher than what Kazu posted. These you can not book until you are on the ship. The Master Chef's Table is limited to 18 people and the Cellar Master's dinner doesn't have a limit. You need to book as soon as you get on the ship as the Master Chef's Table fills up quickly.

Yes, it's an "SB" category. Our favorite Carnival ships are the Spirit class, and we always go for an aft corner (deck 4 is our go to). This particular class of HAL ships somewhat remind me of the Spirit class ships.

Tom

Great links - thanks !

Here is link to my photographic tour of the Ms Westerdam with the very last photos of aft-wrap Stateroom 5190. Stateroom 51591 is a mirror-image of 5190:

http://www.rogerjett-photography.com/here/wp-content/uploads/2014/05/Westerdam-On-Board-10-2-14.pdf

Note that the Westerdam has a Chocolate Seduction Cafe located just forward of the Shops on Deck 3.

I recommend choosing the unlimited laundry option for $7/day and bring fewer suitcases.

Current minimum Formal Night attire is a jacket with tie for males. Of course tuxedos are acceptable but very few will be seen.

Feel free to ask questions to help you catch up with HAL activities.

1. Login to HAL.

2. Select My Reservations.

3. Choose the Purchase tab.

4. Choose Dining.

5. Select Make Reservations.

You will see Le Cirque listed and by clicking on "Select", you will see the date.

Can the dining reservations only be made following final payment or only once you're within a certain window period to sailing?

When I go through the steps you listed I don't see a DINING option. I can make progress when trying to book excursions, indulgences, and dining - but even then the dining tab (after choosing "make reservations") goes to a page which is not populating fully - as there are no names/dates/times to select.

Perhaps it's just my Chrome browser. Off to try this in IE !

Tom

Can the dining reservations only be made following final payment or only once you're within a certain window period to sailing?

When I go through the steps you listed I don't see a DINING option. I can make progress when trying to book excursions, indulgences, and dining - but even then the dining tab (after choosing "make reservations") goes to a page which is not populating fully - as there are no names/dates/times to select.

Perhaps it's just my Chrome browser. Off to try this in IE !

Tom

That means that the Dining dates are not yet released. Just keep checking.

My Dining options are not yet available for my Nieuw Amsterdam cruise in Alaska 2016 either. The steps I provided were to my Eurodam 2015 cruise that is open now for reservations.

Edited by Crew News

That means that the Dining dates are not yet released. Just keep checking.

Looks like... IE was the same.

About how far out do they open those up ? I know on our NCL sailings that it's something like 45-60 days out that they open up reservations for dining/entertainment.

Tom

Looks like... IE was the same.

About how far out do they open those up ? I know on our NCL sailings that it's something like 45-60 days out that they open up reservations for dining/entertainment.

Tom

I made my Nov 29 reservations in early February 2015.

Here is link to my photographic tour of the Ms Westerdam with the very last photos of aft-wrap Stateroom 5190. Stateroom 51591 is a mirror-image of 5190:

http://www.rogerjett-photography.com/here/wp-content/uploads/2014/05/Westerdam-On-Board-10-2-14.pdf

Note that the Westerdam has a Chocolate Seduction Cafe located just forward of the Shops on Deck 3.

I recommend choosing the unlimited laundry option for $7/day and bring fewer suitcases.

Current minimum Formal Night attire is a jacket with tie for males. Of course tuxedos are acceptable but very few will be seen.

Feel free to ask questions to help you catch up with HAL activities.

I suppose I'll need to purchase a jacket. ;)

My tux is showing its age -- having taken it on dozens of sailings. It might be time to pick up a new one anyway!

The only ties I have go with my tuxes, having not worn a "regular" tie for easily a decade.

Tom

Edited by Tom-n-Cheryl

I made my Nov 29 reservations in early February 2015.

So a little over 9 months prior. Our sailing is in February '16 which puts us about 9 months out.

I'll keep my eyes open.

Edit: just read your addition to that post - THANKS

Tom

Edited by Tom-n-Cheryl

I suppose I'll need to purchase a jacket. ;)

My tux is showing its age -- having taken it on dozens of sailings. It might be time to pick up a new one anyway!

The only ties I have go with my tuxes, having not worn a "regular" tie for easily a decade.

Tom

I recommend a jacket from Travelsmith that has at least 9 pockets for ties, small cameras, shaving items, etc for wear also on a plane to save luggage space.

Note that there is no mention of footwear for Formal Night. I have seen a number of athletic shoes worn with jacket and tie.

If you forget a jacket, there will be a rack of jackets at the door of the Main Dining Room for temporary use. You may also rent a HAL tuxedo for your cruise.

Edited by Crew News

I recommend a jacket from Travelsmith that has at least 9 pockets for ties, small cameras, shaving items, etc for wear also on a plane to save luggage space.

Note that there is no mention of footwear for Formal Night. I have seen a number of athletic shoes worn with jacket and tie.

If you forget a jacket, there will be a rack of jackets at the door of the Main Dining Room for temporary use.

Tennis shoes with a jacket - sounds like some of the same "coordinated" people I've encountered as well !

Tom