Back from thge Veendam

galensgrl

It was awesome. The crew are warm and friendly, we loved the ship. We saw none of the things people complain about - no sewer smells, ship was clean and well maintained. We thought the food was very good. Just a wonderful cruise in every way. We are looking at our next cruise, not sure where yet but it will be with Holland America.

Lorie

It was awesome. The crew are warm and friendly, we loved the ship. We saw none of the things people complain about - no sewer smells, ship was clean and well maintained. We thought the food was very good. Just a wonderful cruise in every way. We are looking at our next cruise, not sure where yet but it will be with Holland America.

Lorie

Thanks so much, Lorie! We are looking forward to our 35 days on the Veendam this summer and your post is very encouraging.

It was the same talk before our last cruise on the Veendam in.....2007!

Also, a lot of downtalking about the two X ships we just sailed on and they were fine, too. Perhaps people expect a new ship and downgrade the older ones because they lack the bells and whistles new ones have.

As long as a ship is well-maintained, the age isn't important to me. And the older HAL ships have the guest laundries which is a big plus for me.

Lorie,

Great to hear your positive review of the Veendam. We were on the 24 day Collectors Voyage that included the Bermuda cruise prior to yours and we had the same experience. Would not hesitate to sail the Veendam again.

We were on the 7 day Boston/Bermuda cruise May 2 and had a very nice trip. The ship was in good shape overall, the food very good, and as always the crew was wonderful! I believe a cruise vacation is subjective in every way so I never listen to all of the negatives that are posted. We will continue to enjoy HAL and hopefully the Veendam again.....:D

Lorie & Ann,

Glad to hear you both had great cruises and that the Veendam is in good shape.

We board her on the 11th of July for the 14 day New England/Canada cruise.

Due to some postings, we booked her with great trepidation. We do have one of those infamous aft added on cabins. She is the size ship we love, with a very good itinerary(how often do you get to visit the same port twice) at the right time of the year for us.

Peg

We just returned from the Veendam as well Peg, and had an aft cabin 082 - port corner. We loved it. A few steps from the staircase or elevators, one flight up to the like buffet or pool bar. Two floors down to the Explorations Cafe or dining. Would book it again. Agree with the reviews that the Veendam is our new favorite HAL Ship.

We were on the same cruise. Had a great time...however, not our best HAL cruise because we had a lanai...and were unable to use it at all while docked in Hamilton...as they had a barge working on the lifeboat outside our room.

Would book the ship again for this wonderful itinerary...just not a lanai on port side!

I too was on the 9 May sailing from Boston to Bermuda. I suppose cruising is a subjective thing, but I found the ship was fine. What the Veendam may not have (size and all the bells & whistles of the big ships), the atmosphere due to smaller ship size and the fantastic crew more than makes up for that.

I read a lot of reviews prior to this trip and was a little worried... but everything was great. I'd book at trip on this ship again no problem (except on a few itineraries where I would not care for the destination).

Lorie

Great to hear as Veendam will be our first cruise outside of DCL! I've been reading a mixed bag of reviews for years about her, but the itinerary to Bermuda can't be beat IMO. We leave July 4 from Boston and have a port side lanai cabin.

Great to hear as Veendam will be our first cruise outside of DCL! I've been reading a mixed bag of reviews for years about her, but the itinerary to Bermuda can't be beat IMO. We leave July 4 from Boston and have a port side lanai cabin.

Welcome to Cruise Critic! Bermuda is a wonderful itinerary, and it's so nice to dock in Hamilton. Fewer bells and whistles than DCL, but a nice relaxing cruise. Enjoy!!

We went to Bermuda on Veendam the first year she went there. We're going back on her at the end of August on a New England cruise. Like you, I've seen the mixed reviews, but we're willing to trust HAL to give us a good cruise.

Or for anyone on Veendam recently.

What was the entertainment like? What shows were they doing? (Ship's shows, I know the guest entertainers change) No BB King, right? So are the Neptunes still on board? What about the string trio/duet that used to play in the Explorer Lounge?

TIA!

Edited by 3rdGenCunarder

Welcome to Cruise Critic! Bermuda is a wonderful itinerary, and it's so nice to dock in Hamilton. Fewer bells and whistles than DCL, but a nice relaxing cruise. Enjoy!!

We went to Bermuda on Veendam the first year she went there. We're going back on her at the end of August on a New England cruise. Like you, I've seen the mixed reviews, but we're willing to trust HAL to give us a good cruise.

Thank you Kathy! It's been fun researching the ship on this site. Not used to having formal nights, so shopping has been fun too :D

What was the entertainment like? What shows were they doing? (Ship's shows, I know the guest entertainers change) No BB King, right? So are the Neptunes still on board? What about the string trio/duet that used to play in the Explorer Lounge?

TIA!

There is no bb King. Can't answer about the rest of the entertainment as I haven't seen any.

TIA!

It's been a few months now :( but Adagio was 2 ladies from the Ukraine: violin and piano. They were superb. Several times I heard other pax mention her (the violinist). The pieces were arranged in such a way that the piano covered for all the other instruments and showcased the violin. We got lots of great classical.

Ken Lockwood as Elton John was great. There was a comedian who was popular with many but I left after the first 10 minutes as I found him quite rude. (At the time I left 2 others from my section got up at the same time too).

It's been a few months now :( but Adagio was 2 ladies from the Ukraine: violin and piano. They were superb. Several times I heard other pax mention her (the violinist). The pieces were arranged in such a way that the piano covered for all the other instruments and showcased the violin. We got lots of great classical.

Ken Lockwood as Elton John was great. There was a comedian who was popular with many but I left after the first 10 minutes as I found him quite rude. (At the time I left 2 others from my section got up at the same time too).

Just left ship 3 days ago.... The Neptunes were playing at the Ocean Bar and the Adagio ladies were playing in the Explorers lounge. The Piano Bar had "Bob from Boston"(I believed that's what he went by) and it was great fun to be there (Also on Deck 8). He played a different theme of music each night. There was also what I believe was a local Bermudian steel drum player by the Lido pool one evening.

As for the shows in the Showroom at Sea - I didn't get to see any of those but really had hoped to get to see Synergy (twin brothers with violins). I know that there was also a lady comedian - not sure of the content but I heard some people say she was quite funny. From what I heard, the show put on by the Indonesian crew was very good.

I'm still not unpacked, but once I do, if I have any of the programs I'll check out what I may have missed and let you know.

Just left ship 3 days ago.... The Neptunes were playing at the Ocean Bar and the Adagio ladies were playing in the Explorers lounge. The Piano Bar had "Bob from Boston"(I believed that's what he went by) and it was great fun to be there (Also on Deck 8). He played a different theme of music each night. There was also what I believe was a local Bermudian steel drum player by the Lido pool one evening.

As for the shows in the Showroom at Sea - I didn't get to see any of those but really had hoped to get to see Synergy (twin brothers with violins). I know that there was also a lady comedian - not sure of the content but I heard some people say she was quite funny. From what I heard, the show put on by the Indonesian crew was very good.

I'm still not unpacked, but once I do, if I have any of the programs I'll check out what I may have missed and let you know.

I think it's barry from Boston not Bob.

Thank you! My main concern is to know that Neptunes and Adagio will be there. We haven't enjoyed the production shows on recent HAL ships. They tend to be over-amplified and not very good. The performers seem to be talented but they are given poor material to work with.

Once we discovered the Neptunes, we found our evening entertainment. Sadly, it seems that when BB King band is on the ship, the Neptunes are not. One night on the Westerdam, the Hellcats were supposedly singing "the Great American Songbook" in a bar. (Pinnacle bar, maybe?) They are so NOT the Neptunes. We walked by, and from across the atrium, it was painful to hear. (And not just because of the volume :eek:)

Edited by 3rdGenCunarder
typo

I think it's barry from Boston not Bob.

Now that you say that, I'm about 110% that you're right!!! (PS - sorry I missed the roll call on the 10th - I was unexpectedly unable to get around much - hopefully next time)

On the May 9th sailing, the Adiago duo featured a male violinist and a female pianist. They were both quite good.

Also, the Indonesian show was a lot of fun. The crew members are not professional actors/dancers/singers but they were entertaining and seemed to enjoy themselves. You can tell how proud they are of their culture; it was really a worthwhile show to attend.

Now that you say that, I'm about 110% that you're right!!! (PS - sorry I missed the roll call on the 10th - I was unexpectedly unable to get around much - hopefully next time)

Sorry you didn't make it. Also missed galensgrl. Not sure if she was there. I'm having a great day in Halifax. There is just something about being in your home country that is comforting to me.

Edited by cruz chic

Sorry you didn't make it. Also missed galensgrl. Not sure if she was there. I'm having a great day in Halifax. There is just something about being in your home country that is comforting to me.

Glad you're having a good trip. DW, DPJ and I wondered when you were going on your trip. (Probably should have written it down. My bad.)

Heading out on Veendam May 30. Our 4th time on her and we can't wait!

I do have a question. The Bermudian and US dollars seem to trade one to one. Did they accept American dollars or did you need to exchange money?