Thank You to Topsham!

innlady1

I'd like to publicly thank Topsham (Stephen Card) for attending our May 10 Meet and Greet on the Veendam Boston to Bermuda cruise.

Stephen graciously and spontaneously took questions from our group (which was large by S class standards) throughout the entire Meet and Greet...it was awesome.

Stephen, I can't tell you how many folks came up to me throughout the cruise telling me what a wonderful surprise it was to have you in attendance.

Again, thank you!

I'd like to publicly thank Topsham (Stephen Card) for attending our May 10 Meet and Greet on the Veendam Boston to Bermuda cruise.

Stephen graciously and spontaneously took questions from our group (which was large by S class standards) throughout the entire Meet and Greet...it was awesome.

Stephen, I can't tell you how many folks came up to me throughout the cruise telling me what a wonderful surprise it was to have you in attendance.

Again, thank you!

I second this! It was a wonderful experience to be able to meet and chat with Stephen. Thanks Stephen and thank you, Sheila, for organizing! :D

Edited by Bostonjetset

I've seen Topsham's name on posts but don't know anything about him

Have you ever stopped to take note of the paintings of former HAL ships in the forward stairwell of most (all?) of their ships? The very talented painter of them is none other than Stephen Card who has also done some commissions for Cunard and perhaps P&O, as well as some private commissions. He's published a lovely little book with his HAL illustrations "Holland America Line - maritime paintings", and also co-authored "Queen of Bermuda and the Furness Bermuda Line", another fine book about the grand history of cruising to Bermuda. I've been fortunate to have sailed a number of times with the very talented and very affable Capt. Stephen Card, it's always treat!

Edited by Dave in NJ

His ship paintings can be found in the stairwells of all HAL ships.

Stephen's paintings are also displayed at the museum at the Dockyard in Bermuda, which is his home.

We had the pleasure of chatting with him during our first trip to Bermuda and again at our Prinsendam meet and greet a few years later.

Edited by sapper1

Again, thank you!

That was really nice.

How lucky you were to sail with him.

Have you ever stopped to take note of the paintings of former HAL ships in the forward stairwell of most (all?) of their ships? The very talented painter of them is none other than Stephen Card who has also done some commissions for Cunard and perhaps P&O, as well as some private commissions. He's published a lovely little book with his HAL illustrations "Holland America Line - maritime paintings", and also co-authored "Queen of Bermuda and the Furness Bermuda Line", another fine book about the grand history of cruising to Bermuda. I've been fortunate to have sailed a number of times with the very talented and very affable Capt. Stephen Card, it's always treat!

His ship paintings can be found in the stairwells of all HAL ships.

Stephen's paintings are also displayed at the museum at the Dockyard in Bermuda, which is his home.

We had the pleasure of chatting with him during our first trip to Bermuda and again at our Prinsendam meet and greet a few years later.

Thank you both for the information. We are great "fans" of early nautical artwork and have many reproductions in our home. Now that we saw Copper's posted image ,... We did see and loved Stephen Card's work in the museum in the Dockyards. We spent an entire afternoon there. There's a sense of movement and life in his work that caught our attention.

Thank you both for the information. We are great "fans" of early nautical artwork and have many reproductions in our home. Now that we saw Copper's posted image ,... We did see and loved Stephen Card's work in the museum in the Dockyards. We spent an entire afternoon there. There's a sense of movement and life in his work that caught our attention.

You must have seen his work on the HAL ships you sailed.

Stephen Card paintings hang in companionway of every HAL ship....

as well as others. :)

innlady1, what a nice post to make.

Stephen also attended our meet and greet on the Prinsendam and answered questions.

He is a very gracious man and it was our absolute delight to meet him.

As Copper mentioned Stephen Card also had an illustrious career as a large Ship Captain & the Harbor-master in Bermuda, in addition to his being considered the leading Maritime artist of the day..

I know that I'm one of many who would love to be able to have & afford one of his paintings..

To this day I regret the fact that I didn't let him know when we were on the Veendam to Bermuda several years ago as would have loved the chance of meeting Capt. Stephen Card, CC's "Topsham" & previously also known on Cruise Critic as "Prinsendam".. Check out one of the WEB sites on Stephen & especially the interview...It talks about Stephen's background & love of the sea...

http://www.beyondships.com/Cruise-people-card.html

Edited by serendipity1499

As Copper mentioned Stephen Card also had an illustrious career as a large Ship Captain & the Harbor-master in Bermuda, in addition to his being considered the leading Maritime artist of the day..

<SNIP>

... and loves his tugs! Mr. Card is indeed a very talented and personable man. :)

Very nice tribute, Sheila!

Sheila!

WOW! Many thanks for your very kind post on CC. I just found the post so I must apology for not writing earlier.

Also many thanks to all for the kind comments. I always find the best part of any cruise it meeting fellow passengers.

As you know I was doing B2B cruises in the VEENDAM. The first was a cruise Boston/Bermuda on 2nd May. Perfection. What else can I say. VEENDAM is in top notch condition. Always something can mar an experience... like smell of paint or a noise or a barge alongside and something go block your view. Hope it was not too bad.

Anyhow, Sheila's Meet & Greet was good way to start to the cruise. The 2nd May sailing we did not have a Meet & Greet and did not meet any other CC members on board. Strange.

Again, many thanks. Hope to see you on board again and I hear VEENDAM is back in 2016... hopefully more!

Stephen

Sheila!

WOW! Many thanks for your very kind post on CC. I just found the post so I must apology for not writing earlier.

Also many thanks to all for the kind comments. I always find the best part of any cruise it meeting fellow passengers.

As you know I was doing B2B cruises in the VEENDAM. The first was a cruise Boston/Bermuda on 2nd May. Perfection. What else can I say. VEENDAM is in top notch condition. Always something can mar an experience... like smell of paint or a noise or a barge alongside and something go block your view. Hope it was not too bad.

Anyhow, Sheila's Meet & Greet was good way to start to the cruise. The 2nd May sailing we did not have a Meet & Greet and did not meet any other CC members on board. Strange.

Again, many thanks. Hope to see you on board again and I hear VEENDAM is back in 2016... hopefully more!

Stephen

Many here will attest any chance to spend some time with Stephen is a treat and not to be missed, if possible. :)