Four Star Mariner benefits for everyone at Pinnacle?

Primus

We just became Four Star Mariners and are wondering if we make a reservation for 6 at the Pinnacle, will the discount price be for everyone if we pay or only for the Four Star Mariners?

We're still mere 3 Stars, but I charged a dinner for 7 in the Tamarind to my account and got the discount. That was about a year and a half ago, so things may have changed.

On our recent Sailaway Gang Westerdam cruise, we had a prearranged group Pinnacle luncheon for our roll call. It was arranged well in advance of the cruise by Kazu so that four star cruisers hosted tables for lesser star cruisers. The meal was charged to the host's onboard account with the 50% discount applied to all. The table guests then reimbursed their hosts in cash at the discounted rate.

It worked very well.

We had 25 people attend which is the maximum number that can be accommodated if people want to order off the menu. For larger groups there would be a set menu.

Edited by sapper1

On our recent Sailaway Gang Westerdam cruise, we had a prearranged group Pinnacle luncheon for our roll call. It was arranged well in advance of the cruise by Kazu so that four star cruisers hosted tables for lesser star cruisers. The meal was charged to the host's onboard account with the 50% discount applied to all. The table guests then reimbursed their hosts in cash at the discounted rate.

It worked very well.

We had 25 people attend which is the maximum number that can be accommodated if people want to order off the menu. For larger groups there would be a set menu.

What a smooth way of handling it. Well done. :)

So HAL isn't even following their own rules and/or perhaps in some cases people are knowingly breaking them and the crew maybe doesn't want to create a confrontation...(?) wow...

From the HAL website:

http://www.hollandamerica.com/marinerSociety/Main.action?WT.ac=blubar_KN_Mariner#13

13. CAN I EXTEND MY BENEFITS (SUCH AS THE 25% OR 50% DISCOUNT AT SELECT FOOD AND BEVERAGE OUTLETS) TO SHIPMATES?

No. Benefits are intended for the personal use of the applicable guest and those sharing a stateroom with the guest on the same booking number. Not applicable to groups. Holland America Line reserves the right to limit benefits if necessary.

Edited by InTheWASide

Why are you suggesting any guests, Wow, were responsible for what was charged for a Pinnacle Dinner?

When a guest makes a reservation for four people, they appear at Pinnacle, their cabin number is known by Pinnacle staff, they used to receive a check at the end of dinner but HAL no longer presents a check. The bill goes onto shipboard account if it has not been paid in advance and that is that.

We hand cash tip to dining steward and usually more to wine steward.

WHAT did the guest do wrong for it to be implied they somehow cheated on their bill?

If staff on HAL don't know their own rules, don't blame the guest. We don't even see a check when we leave dinner so we have no idea what was charged or not. Many of us pay in advance the full amount without discount though some are entitled to discounts and/or free dinner, perhaps is complicating how and what to bill. HAL designed and implements it..... not the guest.

Given the number of people who responded here in the same way presumably on various ships, it is not a stretch to think crew does not know it is HAL intention to charge differently as they are not doing so..

Wow...... what kind of confrontation are you implying seeing guest is not presented with anything but a bar tab?

Edited by sail7seas

It worked very well.

So HAL isn't even following their own rules and/or perhaps in some cases people are knowingly breaking them and the crew maybe doesn't want to create a confrontation...(?) wow...

From the HAL website:

http://www.hollandamerica.com/marinerSociety/Main.action?WT.ac=blubar_KN_Mariner#13

As the organizer of the luncheon that sapper1 talks about, we broke no rules that I knew of. While the PG benefits are intended for the mariner, if they choose to host a table, that is a different matter. I have paid for dinners for others or lunches and never had a problem. In fact, at that luncheon, I did pay for my table mates. It was my "big" treat as one of their rewards for winning the guess the number of posts contests

I went on embarkation day to arrange the tables and billing with the PG manager for our luncheon. He was very happy there was only one person at each table to bill and no issue at all.

When I "talked' to our ship board co-ordinator, she advised that if we were at one large table, then it would be individual billing. If we chose to sit at separate tables, certainly we were permitted to host. No one hosted 10 people for crying out loud. They were tables of 4 and 6. Pretty standard.

No one on our cruise knowingly broke any rules and I really don't like the insinuation that we did. Lunch at the PG is no going to break the bank whether you pay full price or a discounted price for crying out loud.

I've wanted to treat people in the past and if I do, I have been charged my * discount. I don't see anything wrong with that at all. Sorry.

Edited by kazu

If any rules were being broken by our group having the luncheon billed the way it was then management had the right to refuse to accommodate us. The fact that we were cheerfully looked after tells me that we did not upset anyone except those on CC who choose to nitpick.

We hosted a table of six including ourselves. They were good friends of ours from other cruises to begin with. The fact that they privately reimbursed us 50% later is only of concern to the parties involved.

I am wondering how the rule quoted from the HAL website is being interpreted by (some) posters on this thread.

It seems quite clear to me.

It also seems quite clear to me that the ships are not, in fact, going by the book on this. Why, I have no idea. But why have this rule if it is not enforced? As I have noted, this is typical of HAL: no one is running the show, everyone is running the show.

Posters on this thread should not be getting upset by this topic: apparently the ships allow this, regardless. If I were in the position of having hosted others on my 5 star discount, I would react to this rule rationally: all the ships have to do is note the rule and explain that this is how it is done. They don't; fair game.

Quick, host some more parties before HAL catches on!

Edited by SilvertoGold

What part of "applicable guest and those sharing a stateroom with the guest on the same booking number." is hard to understand? A group of 25 with smaller tables "hosted" by 4/5 star mariners was a way to get around the rules, even though the staff allowed and encouraged it. When a 4 star hosts another couple (even as a gift) they should be charged the discount for their stateroom only and full price for the lower star guests.

So many on cc are always saying that rules are rules and it is not the fault of the guests if rules are not enforced, but then don't complain when others break other rules and get away with it.

I just don't understand what all the fuss is about.

It is up to the Pinnacle Grill Manager, surely. Who are we to dispute it?

I would not concern myself with who paid what, and

who saved 25% or 50% on a $10 lunch or $29 dinner.

The diners filled the space, and likely ordered drinks.

The rules were not conveyed down from On High on stone tablets. They are HAL's rules and HAL can interpret them as suits their business purposes.

Amen.

I never knew about this "rule" and I have taken my kids and their significant others for dinner in the PG many times.

I've picked up the tab, and I've gotten the 3-star price for all the dinners.

Same thing in Tamarind.

I didn't ask for the discount. They applied it as they saw fit.

(We always pick up the tab for the kids, wherever we go, land or sea. :))

It's not as though we are required to take HAL 101 prior to a cruise and pass a written test. I saw the rule for the first time in this thread so I refuse to feel guilty about our lovely luncheon. It is up to HAL whether to enforce rules or not. It is up to Hal to state the rule if they refuse a request.

As to reimbursement after the fact---well that is a private matter among the diners. This lunch was booked months in advance of the cruise so there was plenty of time for HAL to quote rules.

Edited by sapper1

I didn't know about the "Kids eat free" rule in the Pinnacle until several years after I treated my grandgirls there.

Should I be asking for reimbursement now, just to get the HAL books balanced right, of course???

Very often I get only the 4* Mariner discount applied, instead of the 5* free dinner I'm entitled to (I DO know about that rule, so make an attempt to get it corrected.)

Apparently not all Pinnacle Grill managers know all the rules, or have occasion to choose to make exceptions.

It also seems that not all accounts night managers know all the rules, either.

It's not as though we are required to take HAL 101 prior to a cruise and pass a written test. I saw the rule for the first time in this thread so I refuse to feel guilty about our lovely luncheon. It is up to HAL whether to enforce rules or not. It is up to Hal to state the rule if they refuse a request.

As to reimbursement after the fact---well that is a private matter among the diners. This lunch was booked months in advance of the cruise so there was plenty of time for HAL to quote rules.

First time I heard about it too!

I guess some study the small print more than we do. :rolleyes:

I think it was wonderful that your group had a special luncheon -- and I am sure HAL was more than happy to accommodate you.

First time I heard about it too!

I guess some study the small print more than we do. :rolleyes:

I think it was wonderful that your group had a special luncheon -- and I am sure HAL was more than happy to accommodate you.

Actually it was a very special part of the trip for a very congenial roll call group. It doesn't get much better than the roll call participants we were privileged to join on this cruise.

Ruth:

We've been told several times that the 4/5 star discount does not involve the Pinnacle Manager.

He submits, via computer, who dined in the Pinnacle.

Then, the "night auditor" places charges and then discounts.

Obviously, for a large group, such as on the Westerdam (Sail Away Gang), the Pinnacle manager would be involved in setting this all up so it works.

The Marnier benefit seems clear to me also that benefits are for your own personal use only and for those sharing the same booking number.

We should also remember that Marnier benefits can be earned by on-board spending. By offering others your discount, the total of the spending will credited to your Mariner number and not to those who actually spent the money. By collecting the funds afterward, it can be argued that you are receiving benefits that you did not properly earn and may not be entitled to.

The Marnier benefit seems clear to me also that benefits are for your own personal use only and for those sharing the same booking number.

We should also remember that Marnier benefits can be earned by on-board spending. By offering others your discount, the total of the spending will credited to your Mariner number and not to those who actually spent the money. By collecting the funds afterward, it can be argued that you are receiving benefits that you did not properly earn and may not be entitled to.

That is an interesting angle. So, some gain extra spending credits and some lose spending credits, towards their Star levels.

Seems to be OK with HAL, but it looks like a sloppy program. I have to say I am a bit surprised, as I have felt the Mariner Society has always been run extremely well.

All this Pinnacle Grill talk is making me hungry ;)

For those of you concerned about "who gets the Mariner points" let me point out that a $10 lunch credit means you would have to invite 30 of your closest friends to get to $300 and a whole 1 DAY Mariner credit :rolleyes:

Edited by taxmantoo