Military OBC?

phabric

I thought that HAL used to give a $50 fare discount to at least active duty military. Bad memory or is that still true? By the time the ex and I started cruising she had retired from the Army so I don't recall ever even researching the active duty opportunity. Doesn't help that she and I only took one cruise before we split so it wasn't like there were a lot of opportunities or reasons for me to look into the possibilities or opportunities for vets or retired service members.

Edited by Randyk47

i thought that hal used to give a $50 fare discount to at least active duty military. Bad memory or is that still true? By the time the ex and i started cruising she had retired from the army so i don't recall ever even researching the active duty opportunity. Doesn't help that she and i only took one cruise before we split so it wasn't like there were a lot of opportunities or reasons for me to look into the possibilities or opportunities for vets or retired service members.

ahoy shipmate,

dw and i have cruised extensively on hal since 1996 as active duty and retired military and there has never been any perks. The closest they came to one was a free drink at the ret mil get together on the cruises but they stopped that for a while and i went all the way to the capt and now it's pretty much left to the cd to decide but he doesn't personally host them anymore.

Sea ya

ahoy shipmate,

dw and i have cruised extensively on hal since 1996 as active duty and retired military and there has never been any perks. The closest they came to one was a free drink at the ret mil get together on the cruises but they stopped that for a while and i went all the way to the capt and now it's pretty much left to the cd to decide but he doesn't personally host them anymore.

Sea ya

Thanks, I really wasn't sure. Last the ex and I cruise together was on the Ryndam in 1995. We split in 1996 so it was never a question. Personally as much as I wanted to I was unable to serve because of a sight issue. Grew up in a military family, it was what I knew and loved, and went on to do 42 years as a Army civil service employee. The present Mrs. K still works for the Army as a civilian and she's at 25+ years.

Thank you for your service.

Edited by Randyk47

I've been told No., but suggest you call HAL & tell them that Princess does give it.. Maybe they will re-think their policy..Hope you will get it..:)

no need to call..both HAL & Princess are in the same group--the HAL Group...they know...HAL does NOT give that military OBC like Princess does

no need to call..both HAL & Princess are in the same group--the HAL Group...they know...HAL does NOT give that military OBC like Princess does

Why do you call it the "HAL Group?" Carnival Corp. owns HAL and eight other "brands", including Princess, Cunard, Seabourn, P&O, Aida, among others. Shouldn't it be called the "Carnival Group?"

Why do you call it the "HAL Group?" Carnival Corp. owns HAL and eight other "brands", including Princess, Cunard, Seabourn, P&O, Aida, among others. Shouldn't it be called the "Carnival Group?"

The difference is that HAL and Princess are jointly managed together, under the Carnival umbrella. For example the Princess CEO, Jan Swartz reports to Holland America Group CEO, Stein Kruse.

I am ex. Belgian Navy and Airforce, ( still reserve cops.) but have never been offered any discount for any cruise, airline, hotel...and don't expect one either.

If HAL or any other cruiseline wants to express gratitude to Military personnel ( although all military personnel goes into the Military on a voluntary basis and risk is part of the job description) then it better be for any nation's soldiers and not only for a single Nationality...

D.

The difference is that HAL and Princess are jointly managed together, under the Carnival umbrella. For example the Princess CEO, Jan Swartz reports to Holland America Group CEO, Stein Kruse.

Umm...Actually Jan Swartz is the President of Princess not the CEO & Orlando Ashford is the President of HAL.. They both report to Stein Kruse, the CEO of Holland America Group.. Agree, they are under the Carnival Umbrella..

Some travel agencies do give military obc. We have been offered it. HAL does not.

Now that you point this out, I believe that it was not HAL, but the TA that offered military OBC on a recently booked Cunard cruise.

Umm...Actually Jan Swartz is the President of Princess not the CEO & Orlando Ashford is the President of HAL.. They both report to Stein Kruse, the CEO of Holland America Group.. Agree, they are under the Carnival Umbrella..

When did the Holland America Group come into being and are there any other lines included in this group?

i am ex. Belgian navy and airforce, ( still reserve cops.) but have never been offered any discount for any cruise, airline, hotel...and don't expect one either.

If hal or any other cruiseline wants to express gratitude to military personnel ( although all military personnel goes into the military on a voluntary basis and risk is part of the job description) then it better be for any nation's soldiers and not only for a single nationality...

D.

ahoy shipmate

i have seen canadian and australian etc get extra drinks on board if they speak up. No discrimination ever seen

there is a memorial day sale -- check those out. On the home page

ahoy shipmate,

i'm old but still see pretty good. Didnt find anything. I may have have missed it..

I have 4 hal cruises booked now and would love to call them about any perks i can hustle. I'm a natural cheapskate.

Sea ya