Live review with pics, HAL Oosterdam Vancouver 5/24 - Seward 5/31/2015

cl.klink

I've appreciated being able to follow other CC posters on a live review, especially when it feels like sailing along and sharing in the excitement of travel. I'm going to try to return the favor some. Enjoyed doing so once before on a transatlantic from Barcelona to Florida. I will try to include lots of photos and updates daily (or so), and hope you can get the feel of being on a trip. So much I love about that feel.

This trip was a surprise for DW's 60th, which was a month ago when I told her. We live in Columbia Missouri which is a wonderful college town and a great place to live, but awfully awfully far from big bodies of water. We've cruised before through Panama Canal to South America, one south Caribbean cruise out of Puerto Rico, and the one Transatlantic. All were on Celebrity.

Lots of firsts that are exciting this time. First time in Alaska. First time on HAL. First time in an aft cabin.

Itinerary takes us from Vancouver BC to Ketchikan, Juneau, Skagway, Glacier Bay, end in Seward. We are flying in and out of Seattle.

As with all my travel, I use one bag, one only, a carry on, and so had to plan for that to work well on this trip. That was a big part of the fun.

- Joel

image.jpg.8675c26dbc4e97f6e4ccba9db2a187c8.jpg

This morning, a good night sleep under our belts, decided to rent a car for the day. Lots planned. It feels great to be in the Pac NW. I grew up in Portland and this weather and feel in the air, look of the trees, building styles ... all feels like home. Never wanted to leave; just what happened

Brunch across the water from Downtown Seattle at a place called Salty's. Fabulous meal experience - view, smells, service, interesting and varied and great food. I really want to focus on fish this week, and got off to a great start here!

- Joel

acefec16d277acba6bb4fec0270fd0be.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Looking forward to your review. We are sailing next Sept. for a Med cruise on her. We have one of the larger inside cabins, 1059, as we thought being port intensive we might not get much use out of a balcony. Any pictures of the ship would be appreciated. Enjoy your cruise!

This is the Seattle Pier. The NCL Jewel is in background. The Edgewater hotel is in the foreground. We're staying there next week, (after we leave ship in Seward, we fly to Seattle for an overnight before going home). If I were to sail out of Seattle, this would be good hotel. There's a nice marriott across street too.

- Joel

34a123b9dfc9e2081a682d57916a4778.jpg

Pike Place Market. Can spend hours here watching people, seeing fresh fish and produce and crafts.

25598900918e573ccd7b33b82e625b57.jpg

f2707d68d8c01e21925fd93b8741ffee.jpg

16a153c8828e079b1c72035f8ac4610b.jpg

The view from here, looking back toward Pier:

5111f17fa2ae2e737be648e8e4e73114.jpg

The first ever Starbucks. Did not wait in the hellaciously long line (though the coffee would've topped off the red wine well). I presume that the coffee will be just as coffee-like at the other venues in town.

37a3725d5a778b8637fefb62b0499499.jpg

Thank you for the pics, they are so clear. Great job. Looking forward to your report on the ship. We sail on her in Nov., and wondering about the condition of the ship. Have fun and Happy Birthday to your special lady.

GOod afternoon,

My parents are on this cruise. They live in the Vancouver area and my youngest sister will be taking them to the port in the morning. Mom is 88 and Dad is 89. They will be celebrating their 65th anniversary in mid-June. Mom uses a walker, they love to meet new people, and they love to cruise. If you meet a Harry and Thelma they are a kick to sit and visit with. They are doing a back-to-back and are looking forward to the stop in Haines on the return trip so Dad can go to the Hammer museum. I'll look forward to reading your posts to follow along with them! Have a wonderful trip.

Karen

GOod afternoon,

My parents are on this cruise. They live in the Vancouver area and my youngest sister will be taking them to the port in the morning. Mom is 88 and Dad is 89. They will be celebrating their 65th anniversary in mid-June. Mom uses a walker, they love to meet new people, and they love to cruise. If you meet a Harry and Thelma they are a kick to sit and visit with. They are doing a back-to-back and are looking forward to the stop in Haines on the return trip so Dad can go to the Hammer museum. I'll look forward to reading your posts to follow along with them! Have a wonderful trip.

Karen

I'll be on the look out for them!

- Joel

We are also looking forward to your reports as we will be cruising from Vancouver to Seward on the Oosterdam, embarking on Aug 30th. Will you be doing any of the land tours to Denali?

Won't have the time this time. That's a priority to warrant a return trip though.

- Joel

Requisite Space Needle visit. 4hour wait to go up too long. Was built in 1962 for Worlds Fair. The whole area at its base was worth a 1-2 hour saunter. They were having a huge Folk Festival. So northwest. Shorts and hiking boots and long hair and beards else bikes and the sheer gortex outfits for runners and bikers. A cool to warm day with a bit of rain then clouds then some sun poking through. This is the weather I grew up with and still feels like the right balance.

- Joel

dcd346a5deca3911d4f3cc951b8b58f4.jpg