How far is Boston port from airport and downtown?

SeaWatch

Boston is a fairly compressed city. I'm sure someone will give you more exact info. I stayed at the westin waterfront which is close to the port. Iirc the cab for the airport to the hotel was around $22.

Just got off the ship this morning. It's an older ship but still it pretty good condition. Service was better the first week than the second. The food was fine but the formal night food leaves something to be desired. Very few choices. Service was generally fairly good but the front desk wasn't great. I found the cruise director to be quite cold and that seemed to be a common complaint.

Service seemed to be better the first week than the second.

It is even closer to the airport as the crow flies - right across the harbor. However, unless you're a crow, you'll have to go through the tunnel under Boston Harbor to get to the cruise ship terminal

May I ask who the CD was?

Her name is Christina something. I'm in the montreal airport right now so my cruise log is not handy. I want to say her last name is Purcell but don't quote me. I was at a party with her and the show host. The two of them talked to each other and then left. On the other hand I ran into the beverage manager multiple times and he was one of the nicest people I met on the ship.

We got off of the Veendam a couple of weeks ago after a Bermuda/Boston trip. We found the ship to be in very good shape, and the crew to be very friendly and efficient. Food and entertainment are subjective, but I can say we always found something on the menu to enjoy and a venue to enjoy. We will no doubt book another Bermuda trip on the Veendam!

As others have said, the airport is very close to the terminal and a cab should be around $19-$22. There is nothing to eat or drink at the terminal until you board. Then you won't have any trouble finding a morsel and a sip! :p Enjoy!

We are booked on the Veendam: how far is the port from downtown and the airport?

Any other Veendam observations will be appreciated ( we are trying the lanai cabin this time)

Thanks!

Logan Airport is on the upper right side, the Black Falcon Cruise Terminal in in the lower right hand corner, downtown is just left of center, and you can see the scale on the map:

boston.gif

From the curb at the airport through the Ted Williams Tunnel on (MOST) Saturdays, it should take about 20 minutes. You will be charged the toll for the tunnel included in your fare. I think the toll is about $5.25.

I don't know what your plans are in Boston, but we found the Cruisers Special with Rowes Wharf Water Transport to be a great deal if you plan to spend the day sightseeing in Boston. For $25 per person, they pick you up at Black Falcon and take you via water taxi to downtown. You can store your luggage with them for the day and, at the end of the day, they take you via water taxi to Logan Airport for your flight (or whatever--we had a hotel shuttle pick us up for our overnight stay.)

It was easy, cheap, and worked like clockwork.

http://www.roweswharfwatertransport.com/

We are booked on the Veendam: how far is the port from downtown and the airport?

Any other Veendam observations will be appreciated ( we are trying the lanai cabin this time)

Thanks!

We were on the Veendam May 2-9, in lanai cabin 331 (wheelchair accessible). We loved the lanai and, while others did sit in the reserved chairs, they always moved if someone came out of their cabin. The ship is lovely, staff is great and we wouldn't hesitate to sail her again. Have a great cruise.

Boston is somewhat unique for larger US cities in that our airport is actually IN the city and close to downtown unlike many other places. Although it is quite close [3.5 miles or so], taxi fares in Boston are among the highest in the country so $20 or so is about right.

As far as the Veendam goes, I sailed with CruzChic on the first week of her trip and I must agree that the CD Christina was mediocre. She was not awful or mean but I've experienced more engaging CDs in the past. The assistant CD [also called the "show host"] Jeremy we found to be wonderful though. He was extremely friendly and spent numerous occasions chatting with me and my mom out on the Sports Deck and before/after his daily trivia.

Enjoy your trip on Veendam. She is the smallest ship I've ever sailed on but one of my favorites so far. Truly an elegant lady. My mom loved it so much she is considering the 7 night Historic Coasts cruise to Canada in August with my dad.

Boston is somewhat unique for larger US cities in that our airport is actually IN the city and close to downtown unlike many other places. Although it is quite close [3.5 miles or so], taxi fares in Boston are among the highest in the country so $20 or so is about right.

As far as the Veendam goes, I sailed with CruzChic on the first week of her trip and I must agree that the CD Christina was mediocre. She was not awful or mean but I've experienced more engaging CDs in the past. The assistant CD [also called the "show host"] Jeremy we found to be wonderful though. He was extremely friendly and spent numerous occasions chatting with me and my mom out on the Sports Deck and before/after his daily trivia.

Enjoy your trip on Veendam. She is the smallest ship I've ever sailed on but one of my favorites so far. Truly an elegant lady. My mom loved it so much she is considering the 7 night Historic Coasts cruise to Canada in August with my dad.

One thing that I really found interesting is how close planes were to the ship when we left the port. It was pretty cool.

One thing that I really found interesting is how close planes were to the ship when we left the port. It was pretty cool.

Yes that was cool! I didn't notice it the last time I sailed from Boston. Maybe there was an exceptionally busy day at Logan on May 9th! :D

A question for all you knowledgeable Bostonians and those who have travelled there.

We arrive at Logan around 10:00 pm. Is there a car service that you can recommend or is taxi the best bet. We are travelling to The Fairmont Copley Plaza. I am travelling with my 18 year old daughter so want the quickest option.

Thanks,

Laurie

A question for all you knowledgeable Bostonians and those who have travelled there.

We arrive at Logan around 10:00 pm. Is there a car service that you can recommend or is taxi the best bet. We are travelling to The Fairmont Copley Plaza. I am travelling with my 18 year old daughter so want the quickest option.

Thanks,

Laurie

A taxi will be very easy to find at the airport and should be a bit cheaper than a private car service. You could always try Uber if you want a black car [town car] instead of a standard cab.

The Copley Plaza is a lovely hotel and right in the middle of everything. ENJOY!

A taxi will be very easy to find at the airport and should be a bit cheaper than a private car service. You could always try Uber if you want a black car [town car] instead of a standard cab.

The Copley Plaza is a lovely hotel and right in the middle of everything. ENJOY!

I have to agree about the taxi. I was a bit worried since I had never flown into Boston before. It couldn't have been easier.

In July 2013, I had the good fortune to watch those planes land and take off when I sailed out of Black Falcon Cruise Terminal on the Carnival Glory in one of the 6K Scenic Grand Ocean View cabins. Simply, wow.

One of the things we found interesting was that people on the ship said several times that there was a shortage of taxi's at the port. We found that not to be true at all and the taxi driver was appalled that HAL was telling their passengers that. It cost a lot less than a transfer would have been.

Thanks,

Laurie

As a Bostonian who has been to the Fairmont Copley Plaza many times, I recommend catching a taxi. You don't need a car service from Logan Airport to that hotel. It's a wonderful location for enjoying Boston but across the city from the cruise terminal. Boston is not a huge city and you will be boarding on a Saturday when there is almost always less traffic, depending upon special events that may be happening the day you board.

You and your daughter will be perfectly safe catching an airport taxi to the hotel. If for any reason you feel the least uncomfortable, there are always State Police on the curbs outside each terminal.

Enjoy. :)

Yes that was cool! I didn't notice it the last time I sailed from Boston. Maybe there was an exceptionally busy day at Logan on May 9th! :D

Depending the runway(s) they are using on a given day/time, they sometimes hold the planes the few minutes while ships sail out of Black Falcon.

My DH loved when they would pass directly over the ship. :)