Disapointted

What has happened to Hal. Just returned from a cruise April 19th to May 10th and cannot believe how Hal has gone downhill WHY??

Probably because people want low fares. We have friends who only sail on Crystal Cruises, and complain about the cutbacks and other friends who sail on Celebrity complaining about the same thing.

I'm sure if you look at all the boards, you will find folks that sailed with a line awhile back comparing it to a recent cruise and also ask "why".

We have 18 straight cruises with HAL starting in 2009 and see little difference.

Sorry about your experience. Can you expand on how HAL has gone "downhill"?

What disappointed you specifically? What ship were you on? What cruise itinerary did you take?

Just saying you are disappointed is unhelpful to the cruise line and to this forum, unless all you are looking for is hair pats and/or sarcastic comments that you deserve a free cruise.

Truly' date=' there is a huge difference from the mid-2000s and earlier. Cutbacks in labor and food costs for starters have made a big difference.[/quote']

I agree in the last ten or so years, HAL has changed but so has a great many things in our world. What has not changed on HAL, IMO, are the wonderful crews/Officers who work so hard to give us the best cruise possible. You are right the number of crew members is lowered from ten years ago but that is true on most of the competing cruise lines.

Did you sail one of the Vista or Signature Class ship or another of the "S" class like your Ryndam cruise?

Truly' date=' there is a huge difference from the mid-2000s and earlier. Cutbacks in labor and food costs for starters have made a big difference.[/quote']

As I said, I started in 2009 and haven't noticed that many cutbacks. It I had started cruising in 2000, I might have noticed.

That said, I've seen huge cutbacks in airline travel in 40 years, but won't complain because of the cost of air travel. Speaking of cutbacks, HAL's can't be as bad as the airlines in food cutbacks.:)

We have noticed "changes" over the last few years from when we first cruised in 2008 on HAL. What I have found is the crew seems to be run off their feet especially in the main dining room (at least for anytime dining) so it is not as personal as it used to be or as quick as some might like. We still enjoy sailing with HAL.

I will admit though that we were disappointed this cruise with the high tea served in our cabin. We have only had it once before on our first cruise in 2008 and that is what I compared it to. Guess I shouldn't have compared it :eek: but it was still ok.

I'm sorry for your experience.

Edited by canadianbear

We were also on the Oosterdam when you were on it. We actually boarded in Auckland on April 5th.

The biggest complaint we had was the number of people who contracted the "URI" and were coughing throughout the cruise.

One of our cruisers actually named it the Coughingdam.

HAL didn't seem to do anything to get control of the problem (other than wash your hands). There was no 48 hour Code Orange and they didn't invoke a Code Red at all during the cruise.

People would cough into their hands and then pick up the tongs in the Lido.

I've been home for over a week now and I just got over the nagging cough.

Well We are 4* Mariners. Have cruised 30 years on many cruise lines (mostly Hal. But will look else where) and our last 2 cruises have gone downhill. Even the Room Steward said he was so sorry that he couldn't do a better job. Just had to many rooms. We had dining at 5;30 and were lucky the make the 800 pm night show( which was very poor as well) The meals were either over cooked or under done. The Lecturer was boring and poorly attend. The tours were very over priced (OldBusses) I could go on for more, but I will tell you all that the service was VERY BAD

Sorry Girl. But it doesn't Matter what I paid for our Signature Suite. Should we get better service if we pay them more. So quit defending Hal. We were not the only ones who have said how the service has gone downhill in the last few years. ENOUGH SAID END of STORY

It was hard to tell how much you have sailed HAL as you only have the one 'sailed Ryndam' in your signature. Of course, you don't need to put anything but truthfully, it confused me into thinking that was your only other HAL cruise. That is why I commented so much in the world has changed.

I agree crew numbers are down and they are working very hard.

Your other comments would disappoint me, as well. I haven't yet encountered anything that unpleasant and hope I don't. :eek:

Thank you for sharing with us. We all like to hear about others' experiences on the ships.

Very sorry to hear this report. If HAL is losing longtime cruisers such as yourself then it is truly a shame. We have sailed mostly mass market lines (more cruises for less money) but once, somewhat recently, we cruised with Silversea. It was close to double what we would pay for a similar room on a HAL ship. The food was very good, the drinks were included but I still wonder if the experience was worth twice the price. I certainly don't go on cruises for gourmet food. That is what I like to do on land vacations. Find a great restaurant and have the chef's tasting menu...with wine pairings :p Like many others, cruising is about the itinerary or getting extended family together for a vacation that everyone can agree on. Unfortunately we can't go back and I don't think that the mass market lines will increase their prices to allow food and service of yesteryear. Perhaps try a luxury line as this may be what you are looking for.

Laurie

I'm younger than most on this board but I remember getting a soda and bag of chips for a quarter!

Edited by Lauranne

I guess you just don't get it Laura.we paid just as much for this cruise,if not more as any HAL cruise.Im just saying that Hal is going down hill. Yes I have gone on other cruise lines and have paid more,but that is not the question DiD I get GOOD SERVICE".......YES .Which we didn't get on HAL