Jazz cruise Tuesday question

onthelake

I know we are having 3 formal nights and 4 with a more relaxed dress code. I am wondering what the ladies are actually wearing. A gown is already in the luggage but after that ??? I like to dress well but practical since we are on an extended trip. A nice dress instead of a cocktail dress? The sparkley top syndrome? Skirt and twin set?

We have been on QM 2 before so not a newbie but the relaxed dress code has me questioning every choice and it is more practical to me not to take a cocktail dress in addition to the gown since it will not ever be needed on the rest of the trip.

While the other nights are not formal, I wouldn't really say the dress code is relaxed, just not as formal.

A cocktail dress, smart dress or smart, perhaps glitzy separates would be suitable. Personally I wouldn't wear a twin set in the evening - to me that suggests daywear.

If you bring some smart black trousers and/or skirt and a dressy blouse/top orctwo, you should be ok and that wouldn't take up much room.

Enjoy your trip.

As cruiseluvva has mentioned, nothing has really changed with the 'informal dress code' other than a tie is optional for gentlemen, however, 70% of guys will still wear a tie and ladies still make an effort to make every evening a sense of occasion, especially on QM2 transatlantic crossings.

I was interested to read your Jazz voyage has three formal evenings, could you please come back to us, and let us know how you enjoyed the Jazz trip. I was on the same Jazz voyage last year and many were left disappointed that the three formal evening (as in the VP) were eventually reduced to one during the voyage.

:)

As cruiseluvva has mentioned, nothing has really changed with the 'informal dress code' other than a tie is optional for gentlemen, however, 70% of guys will still wear a tie and ladies still make an effort to make every evening a sense of occasion, especially on QM2 transatlantic crossings.

I was interested to read your Jazz voyage has three formal evenings, could you please come back to us, and let us know how you enjoyed the Jazz trip. I was on the same Jazz voyage last year and many were left disappointed that the three formal evening (as in the VP) were eventually reduced to one during the voyage.

You could possibly stretch it and say there were Two Formal Evenings, One on October 30 and as the Dress Code for November 3 was Formal (Optional) and those who attended the senior Officers Party that night were formal. :D

Edited by Pennbank

Good morning Bell Boy.

I well remember your disappointment at the dress code changes.

I too would have been a little cross. Cunard didn't exactly cover themselves in glory on that occasion.

I know we are having 3 formal nights and 4 with a more relaxed dress code. I am wondering what the ladies are actually wearing. A gown is already in the luggage but after that ??? I like to dress well but practical since we are on an extended trip. A nice dress instead of a cocktail dress? The sparkley top syndrome? Skirt and twin set?

We have been on QM 2 before so not a newbie but the relaxed dress code has me questioning every choice and it is more practical to me not to take a cocktail dress in addition to the gown since it will not ever be needed on the rest of the trip.

Good morning Onthelake.

I don't believe we have chatted before.

I always take the view that dressing while on Cunard is a matter of going with the flow while adding a dash of colour.

I always obey the rules/guidlines and plan my wardrobe accordingly irrespective of whether I have a pre or post cruise stay: particularly when the Cunard voyage is the prime mover.

You could possibly stretch it and say there were Two Formal Evenings, One on October 30 and as the Dress Code for November 3 was Formal (Optional) and those who attended the senior Officers Party that night were formal. :D

Formal/Optional :eek: Quite right right, well that's another story that added to the confusion.

I guess Cunard heard you, as we had four formal nights on our jazz cruise this summer.

And jeans were permitted in the dining room. That said, I only saw them on one person.

Most people dressed the way they would have regardless, it appeared. Some like myself, all out. Others, simple sparkle top with black slacks.

To the OP, Any of the options you mentioned would have fit right in. Simple can be quite elegant and detracts from no ones experience. A few accessories and an extra touch with hair and makeup can always elevate a look with little effort. Many people do have extended European trips and travel with limited luggage. Men can always rent formalware.

We fretted a lot as we were on the ship for 16 nights on back to backs. My daughter's wardrobe was very limited and she was worried, especially after reading this board. She had two formal dresses and two that were less so. I bought four gowns and four dresses, and more etc etc.