Sailing with dog from New York to Southampton

Dublin_Mike

Looking at taking a transatlantic criuse from NYC to South Hampton. If I have our dog treated a day before boarding in New York won't we be over the 5 day limit by the time we disembark in South Hampton? How do the UK authorities view that? Do they allow it because the dog has been essentially "quarantined " on the vessel for that time?

Hi there

Your main concern should be getting a kennel spot rather than worrying about issues that will be explained by Cunard when you book your dog. We have taken our dog over from NYC twice; the most recent being October 11. Our dog is wait listed for October 2017.

Dogs traveling on the QM2 from NYC to Southampton have an extension from DEFRA regarding the Universal Vet Certificate and it is valid 10 days prior to embarkation of the QM2. ( if the dog does not have an EU pet passport).

When you mention 5 days I believe you are referring to the Tick and tapeworm treatment which must be done within 120 hours of embarkation. It is counted in hours not days. The DEFRA officials actually looked at the time that the dog received the treatment last week so ensure your vet notates the times on the official documents.

In brief, the other requirements are that the dog must be microchipped, vaccinated against rabies at least 21 days prior to the trip, EU/UK pet passport or Official 3rd part vet certificate ( forms provided by Cunard)). There is no quarantine.

You may wish to speak to Robert at (800) 5-CUNARD. He oversee the kennels.

Hope this helps!

You can find the definitive rules here:

For taking a pet from the US (after you click the correct options, the correct form will display for your situation):

https://www.aphis.usda.gov/aphis/pet-travel

For taking a pet into the UK:

https://www.gov.uk/take-pet-abroad/overview

After being endorsed by your veterinarian and the state USDA/APHIS office, the forms are valid for 10 days.

Ditto re: booking far in advance. We booked my cat 14 months before our eventual departure of 5/31/17.

Edited by northcoastcat

DublinMike

The email for Robert who oversees the kennels is:

kennels@cunard.com

He will give you the requirements for taking your pet on the QM2 and the various DEFRA time extensions provided for pets traveling on the QM2. Also note that although the UK no longer requires Tick (as kindly provided and noted in the links above), Cunard is still listing and wanting it as a requirement.

Edited by Cancun01

The Third Country Veterinary Certificate that you complete and have endorsed before boarding the QM2 is valid for 4 months, or until the rabies vaccination expires, whichever date is earlier.

So you could travel with your pet after you arrive. If you are going to be abroad for an extended period, I believe that you can visit a veterinary clinic in the UK/EU and get an EU pet passport.

The Third Country Veterinary Certificate that you complete and have endorsed before boarding the QM2 is valid for 4 months, or until the rabies vaccination expires, whichever date is earlier.

So you could travel with your pet after you arrive. If you are going to be abroad for an extended period, I believe that you can visit a veterinary clinic in the UK/EU and get an EU pet passport.

Ok, thank you for the info!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums