Choosing Queen's Grill position on QV

capegull

We haven't travelled on the QV as yet so I have a question - are the Queen's Grill suites at the back of the ship noisy? I have the option of deck 8 under the pool or deck 5. I'm a bit worried about engine noise.

Thanks for any help!

Is your cruise Pre or Post the Refit as at the moment Q6 cabins at the Stern are larger as they used to be Q4 cabins , Deck 8 Q6 are not under the Pool but they are under a area that is used for Sunbeds so some noise from people dragging sunbeds can be expected, Deck 5 noise is not a issue but some people have complained about a Vibration issue in shallow waters

QV stern cabins are pretty much super quiet. You get overlooked from above when on the balcony, but that's not the end of the world. Only problem is some slight juddering and vibration when manoeuvring in port that makes the glasses on the shelf tinkle, but that's it. I'd pick deck 8 over 5 if given the chance, but only because I don't like looking over the edge to see a long drop to the water.

QE used to be different, a constant low level vibration that you could feel even in bed at night but I believe they fixed it at a dry dock a few years ago. Also, we once had a distant banging noise as if a lifeboat was thumping the side of the ship, I can't imagine it was anything other than a one off problem that no-one has heard since. I hope so, we'll be in a stern cabin in another 3 weeks!

I think that on both ships the larger Q6's are what used to be Q7s, which in turn were originally Q4 until people complained and they shuffled everything around. They are the ones on deck 5 and I can vouch for them having more room than a mid-ships Q4. The corner suites have the bigger balconies. Maybe the ones above are also a good size but you'd have to check the deck plan.

Thank you for your insights - very helpful.

QV stern cabins are pretty much super quiet. You get overlooked from above when on the balcony, but that's not the end of the world. Only problem is some slight juddering and vibration when manoeuvring in port that makes the glasses on the shelf tinkle, but that's it. I'd pick deck 8 over 5 if given the chance, but only because I don't like looking over the edge to see a long drop to the water.

We were in 8164 on a Trans-Atlantic on QV this last January. It was not noisy. The deck above overhangs about 1/3 of the balcony. You overhang part of the suites below, too. Their balconies are twice the size of yours. But, your balcony is plenty large with two lounge chairs and a circular table and chairs. The suites below had much larger long tables with chairs. People above could see you if you ventured out to the rail. If you stayed by the bulkhead, you had total privacy. The large flag pole is above your balcony. We only saw people up there on departure and a few random times.

There really wasn't much vibration to note. The glassware tinkled constantly in rough seas. That would happen on any ship anywhere. We moved those around so they wouldn't touch. The hangers slapped and jingled on the closet rails. We put a stop to that by putting them on the floor of the closets.

They were nice cabins with little foot traffic going past. It was very private. I'm not a good sailor and had a hard time. But, it was January, we did skirt a winter hurricane and the nasty Bay of Biscay. I don't think I would have been any better off amidships.

Hi

We are on the QV at the moment and on deck 7 at the stern .

We have had no noise problems from the engines or vibrations, just the odd dragging of sun beds from above but only during the day time when we are awake.

Also there is no one walking past your suite unlike midships and no lift noise, so I think it is quieter than other parts of the ship that we have stayed in.

I would recommend anyone to stay in the stern of the QV