Cunard Newbie Just Completed QM2 Crossing.

annmarz

My partner and I (late 50's, Americans) are experienced cruisers but new to Cunard. We just completed a magical crossing from Southampton to NY. We felt like we were in heaven. This massive vessel was well laid-out and we found it surprisingly easy to find our way around. We were on Deck 6, forward, which provided quick and easy access to the wonderful King's Court and Carinthia lounge.

We enjoyed all the food and entertainment, very very much. No complaints. Thanks to my pre-voyage obsessive reading of these boards, I knew some (to us) vital information: 1. Only one iced tea beverage station in King's Court. 2. Ask the room steward for an extension cord. 3. First full day, be in line at 8:30 am at Tour Desk if you want to sign up for the Behind the Scenes Ship Tour - which we did and loved, by the way. Worth every penny. 4. If you are worried about your flight home, ask for Priority disembarkation. 5. You cannot be overdressed! 6. Ship is very warm - ladies, don't worry about shoulder-baring dresses.

Just to show how great everything was, our only complaints (if you can even go so far as to call these "complaints") were 1. the low water pressure in the shower - virtually impossible to rinse out shampoo. 2. the strange Roarin' 20's ball. Many passengers made a huge effort to dress up and the Queen's Room was full of ready-to-party attendees. After one Charleston dance, the British singer came on and repeated his Beatles and London songs. He was ok but why not more 20's stuff? Partner thinks there was some problem that night and he had to fill in.

I am happy to answer any questions about our crossing or OM2. Cheers, and Bravo to Cunard!

Thanks for your glowing report. I'm delighted, but not surprised, that you had such a memorable crossing.

Two comments did surprise me just a bit. The first was that you found Kings Court to be wonderful. It's not a word many people associate with the buffet, much improved though it is from its firmer condition. But I'm glad that you enjoyed it as much as you did. I was also surprised that you thought that QM2 was very warm. Our experience is that it tends to be in the chilly side, especially in the Britannia dining room. My wife always take her shawl to dinner. Of course, how we experience temperature is idiosyncratic.

We've now made ten crossings, and whatever the small inconveniences we've encountered, our journeys, like yours, have all been heavenly. May you enjoy many more!

thanks Annmars for your report. I am also an experienced cruiser but a Cunard newbie. You addressed some of my concerns. Never been at sea that long ( max 6 sea days at the Antarctica cruise with some very rough seas at Cape Horn ). so I have some questions:

How rough was the ocean?

How do you fill the time? Any trivia or game that we can participate in the day time? Are there shows every evening? Is the main ballroom where the big band plays the only place to dance ( as opposed to some latin or club dance floors in some other cruises)?

Does priority disembarkation mean you have to take your own luggage on the way off the ship?

I remember those 6 sea days in S. America were looong. By the 3rd sea day I was so longing for a port day. I am a bit comprehensive about the Transatlantic crossing at first, but the attraction of the QM2 is too much to resist and I am more prepared this time for the all at sea cruise. I hope the big band on QM2 would entice me to dance every night. I hope I w'd have the same enjoyable experience as you had.

thanks Annmars for your report. I am also an experienced cruiser but a Cunard newbie. You addressed some of my concerns. Never been at sea that long ( max 6 sea days at the Antarctica cruise with some very rough seas at Cape Horn ). so I have some questions:

How rough was the ocean?

How do you fill the time? Any trivia or game that we can participate in the day time? Are there shows every evening? Is the main ballroom where the big band plays the only place to dance ( as opposed to some latin or club dance floors in some other cruises)?

Does priority disembarkation mean you have to take your own luggage on the way off the ship?

I remember those 6 sea days in S. America were looong. By the 3rd sea day I was so longing for a port day. I am a bit comprehensive about the Transatlantic crossing at first, but the attraction of the QM2 is too much to resist and I am more prepared this time for the all at sea cruise. I hope the big band on QM2 would entice me to dance every night. I hope I w'd have the same enjoyable experience as you had.

As it turned out we did have rougher than the norm, I understand, seas, dues to remnants of a hurricane which we skirted. The pitching of the ship was noticeable, especially in our

forward cabin. The ship's stabilizers did the job with the roll very well, though. I have gotten seasick on several other cruises over the years but did not even come close to feeling ill on this voyage. At times, some of the outside deck areas were closed.

How do you fill the time? If you enjoy the typical ship activities, you will have no problem at all filling the time! The Daily Programme is chock-full of trivia as much as 5 times a day, games, outstanding lectures, the Planetarium shows, music, movies, etc. etc. There are excellent shows every evening. This ship has more music acts playing than I have seen on any other ship. Day and night. There is a nightclub open until the wee hours as well.

Self-disembarkation is where you take all your luggage off yourself. Priority Disembarkation is different - it is for people having earlier flights as well as other special needs. You do not take your big luggage off yourself with this.

The ship is very large but never feels crowded. I certainly understand the attraction of ports and "getting off" to see something different. But I never wanted to get off the QM2! Hope this helped.

The ship is very large but never feels crowded. I certainly understand the attraction of ports and "getting off" to see something different. But I never wanted to get off the QM2! Hope this helped.

I agree wholeheartedly. Two-thirds of our ocean voyages have been liner voyages as opposed to cruises. Lately, the liner trips have been only transatlantic, but in the 1970s we were able to travel on the Royal Mail Ships of the Union-Castle Line on the UK to South Africa route. The longest time we had at sea was 10 days and we were not bored for a minute even though the range of activities was nowhere as comprehensive as it is on modern ships. The P&O also had liner voyages in those days but we only took short segments.

Cunard crossings on the QE2 were a mere five days until the late 1990s or so when they became six. There was also a small Polish ship that did crossings to/from Montreal until 1987. These were eight or nine days. I have to admit that long ocean crossings are an acquired taste, but my DW and I acquired it over four decades ago after our first crossing on the QE2. We enjoy the occasional cruise for a change, but the ocean crossings are our favourite.

Unlike most cruise ships there is something for everyone on the QM2. All tastes are catered for. I despise anything that could fit the vague definition of pop music (over-amplified or not:)) so on most ships there is nothing or almost nothing in the way of entertainment that would please me. Thankfully we have three splendid Cunard ships.