Stockholm port to town - how far

svsw

We've never been to Stockholm, it appears we dock in Stockholm vs. Nynashamn. Wondering how far it is from the port to the sites, best mode of transportation (taxi, bus, train?). Appreciate any info.

We've never been to Stockholm, it appears we dock in Stockholm vs. Nynashamn. Wondering how far it is from the port to the sites, best mode of transportation (taxi, bus, train?). Appreciate any info.

Without telling on which ship you are and which date you are arriving in Town none can tell you where you berth exactly and how you get to downtown.

Regards,

HeinBloed

We will be coming in on June 10 on the Norwegian Sun and will be docking in Nynashamn. We would appreciate information about transportatation from the dock to Stockholm including cost, time etc.

This is a copy of my answer on another thread:

First I have to say that I feel so sorry for everyone on a Baltic cruise with a cruise line that does not go to Stockholm but to Nynäshamn instead. It means you miss the sail in and out of Stockholm through the Stockholm Archipelago. Also, Nynäshamn is a port where you have to tender, not just walk off the ship. And it means a lot of your day in Stockholm will be taken up by transport arrangements.

There are three ways to travel from Nynäshamn to Stockholm. All will take about one hour to get there. But the time you have to wait for the transport may wary.

The first is to take the ships transport by bus. From what I have read it will probably be expensive.

The other is to use the commuter train that will take you to the Stockholm Central Station, located in the area north of Gamla Stan. If you do so the best option is to buy a 24 hour transport card, which costs 100 Kronor. This card gives you all public transport in the Stockholm area within 24 hours. And it does include the ferry from Slussen (Gamla Stan) to Djurgården (the area where the Vasa Museum and Skansen outdoor museum and other attractions are located).

There are trains leaving from Nynäshamn at 7.05, 7.35, 8.05, 8.35, 9.05, 9.35, 10.05, 10.35 etc. You will have to change trains once on the way to Stockholm, in Västerhaninge. On Saturday, Sunday or a holiday there are trains at 7.05, 8.05, 9.05, 9.35, 10.05, 10.35 etc. To get back from Stockholm there are trains leaving from the Central Station at 14.19, 14.49, 15.19, 15.49 etc. Again you will have to change trains in Västerhaninge. This is according to the present timetable, times may change by end of June.

To buy the transport card I understand there is a place close to the station where this can be done.

And then of course there is the possibility to book a taxi. But taxis are expensive in Scandinavia.

Heinbloed

We will be docking at Frihamnen Monday, June 21, Disney Magic. Is that closer or further away than the other port posted? How far to canal shuttle to Vasa Museum? Will we travel through the archipelagos as we come into port?

Thanks,

Heidi

We will be docking at Frihamnen Monday, June 21, Disney Magic. Is that closer or further away than the other port posted? How far to canal shuttle to Vasa Museum? Will we travel through the archipelagos as we come into port?

Offtraveling, if your ship will dock in Frihamnen you will pass through the Archipelago coming in to Stockholm in the morning, and again going out in the evening. Each passage takes 3-4 hours.

The best way to get to the Vasa museum from Frihamnen is to take bus 76 to the Djurgårdsbron stop, from where it is a short walk to the museum. The bus ride takes only 7 minutes. It is not possible to pay on the bus; you need a ticket before you get on. Last summer there was a small info and souvenir shop on the quay where they did sell tickets, so take a look there when you get off the ship and before walking towards the bus stop.

After visiting the museum it is possible to take the ferry to Gamla Stan. Or to take bus 76 again, it goes ont to Gamla Stan too.

Here is a link to a map where you will see where Frihamnen is in relation to the main sights in Stockholm. Also the route for bus 76 and for the ferry.

http://maps.google.se/maps/ms?client=firefox-a&hl=sv&ie=UTF8&msa=0&msid=100446628536787947860.000448dadb8bebb56f079&ll=59.331351,18.085384&spn=0.050347,0.099907&t=h&z=13

• 4 weeks later...

First I have to say that I feel so sorry for everyone on a Baltic cruise with a cruise line that does not go to Stockholm but to Nynäshamn instead. It means you miss the sail in and out of Stockholm through the Stockholm Archipelago. Also, Nynäshamn is a port where you have to tender, not just walk off the ship. And it means a lot of your day in Stockholm will be taken up by transport arrangements.

There are three ways to travel from Nynäshamn to Stockholm. All will take about one hour to get there. But the time you have to wait for the transport may wary.

The first is to take the ships transport by bus. From what I have read it will probably be expensive.

The other is to use the commuter train that will take you to the Stockholm Central Station, located in the area north of Gamla Stan. If you do so the best option is to buy a 24 hour transport card, which costs 100 Kronor. This card gives you all public transport in the Stockholm area within 24 hours. And it does include the ferry from Slussen (Gamla Stan) to Djurgården (the area where the Vasa Museum and Skansen outdoor museum and other attractions are located).

There are trains leaving from Nynäshamn at 7.05, 7.35, 8.05, 8.35, 9.05, 9.35, 10.05, 10.35 etc. You will have to change trains once on the way to Stockholm, in Västerhaninge. On Saturday, Sunday or a holiday there are trains at 7.05, 8.05, 9.05, 9.35, 10.05, 10.35 etc. To get back from Stockholm there are trains leaving from the Central Station at 14.19, 14.49, 15.19, 15.49 etc. Again you will have to change trains in Västerhaninge. This is according to the present timetable, times may change by end of June.

To buy the transport card I understand there is a place close to the station where this can be done.

And then of course there is the possibility to book a taxi. But taxis are expensive in Scandinavia.

Thanks for the information

I, too, am coming on August 12, 2010, to Stockholm on the NCL Sun via Nynäshamn. My question is "Can we take the HOHO boat or bus to Gamla Stan?".

Thanks for your help.

I, too, am coming on August 12, 2010, to Stockholm on the NCL Sun via Nynäshamn. My question is "Can we take the HOHO boat or bus to Gamla Stan?".

Thanks for your help.

Nynäshamn is not Stockholm, it is a small city with 13.000 inhabitants and is situated 36 miles south of Stockholm. There is no HO/HO boat or bus there.

• 3 months later...
Hi

We arrive in Stockholm on May 14th, 2010 aboard the Star Princess. Do not know which dock we will be at. Any info you can give me on how to get into town will be appreciated.

I have not done the cruise yet, but I think the Star docks in Stockholm at Stadsgarden Masthamnen port. Anyone have the correct port that has been recently?

I have not done the cruise yet, but I think the Star docks in Stockholm at Stadsgarden Masthamnen port. Anyone have the correct port that has been recently?

The same ship does not always dock at the same port in Stockholm. But I have checked the Ports of Stockholm site and so far all coming Star Princess cruises this season are booked at Stadsgården.

Just a warning, at least twice this summer Star Princess has claimed bad weather conditions has stopped them from going all the way to Stockholm. They have docked in Nynäshamn instead.

Archived