Has anyone seen their refund for cancelled Disney sailings?

alexadeparis

I'm just wondering if anyone has seen their refund yet for cruises that were cancelled? I didn't take a screenshot, and now the reservation is no longer accessible. I'm probably just being paranoid, but I want to make sure there's no problem. Also, I was a little annoyed that the automated calls still went through. Luckily the call was to an adult who had been informed the cruise was cancelled. But what if a kid was called and then had to be told there would be no cruise after all, how disappointing.

I'm just wondering if anyone has seen their refund yet for cruises that were cancelled? I didn't take a screenshot, and now the reservation is no longer accessible. I'm probably just being paranoid, but I want to make sure there's no problem. Also, I was a little annoyed that the automated calls still went through. Luckily the call was to an adult who had been informed the cruise was cancelled. But what if a kid was called and then had to be told there would be no cruise after all, how disappointing.

I would be patient. If they're based in Orlando, Orlando is where the eye wall of Irma was. Their bank sites may be down, I'm sure they told you 7-10 days before it's redeposited. Has it even been a week?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

No, it hasn't been a week yet, but I know they were open for several days before the storm hit and actually, I don't think their email specified a timeframe, so I guess I will just keep watching.It's not an insignificant amount, and I am sure they will do the right thing.

Your refund will be sent in the same way you paid. If that was by credit card, it typically takes a couple weeks to show up when I check on line. This also happens with some stores, even though they processed it as I stood there. I fully understand your anxiety, but DCL has always done right by us. Give them time....they had several thousand refunds to process as well as dealing with the storms, power outages, etc.

If you paid by check, I have no idea how long it will take them to cut a check and send it to you. Gift cards are refunded to the card you used. If you didn't save the card, there is a way around it...but that takes a while.

Speaking to someone down there on an unrelated matter, things are a mess. Their focus has been on upcoming cruises and checking ports, etc, so its possible that they may not have even started processing them yet.

Normally I would say 7-10 days but in this case I would give them 14-21 days. You or your TA should get some notice when the process starts, from there posting time is up to your bank. People who paid with multiple gift cards etc may take longer.

The rebooking period starts next week, it would be nice to see it by then.

It does make one wonder what would happen if you instructed them to roll over the "refund" to the new cruise. We've actually done that several times, but not when it was a situation like this. We've done it when we were canceling a cruise for whatever reason and either rebooking at the same time or applying the funds to an already booked cruise. We had no problem with it....but again, we weren't in a batch of 3000+ cabins waiting for refunds.

I received my refund today back to my Bank of America credit card. Hope this helps.

Our refund for the cancelled 9/9 cruise showed up on our credit card account yesterday (9/16). And DCL has extended the time frame for rebooking and getting the 25% discount to 90 days, and will require only 50% of the normal deposit.

Our refund for the cancelled 9/9 cruise showed up on our credit card account yesterday (9/16). And DCL has extended the time frame for rebooking and getting the 25% discount to 90 days, and will require only 50% of the normal deposit.

What's the new rebooking window?

So the deposit is 50% of 20%, right? (Basically, 10%)

My refund came through Saturday also. I think I just gave myself anxiety, because I normally would have grabbed a screenshot before the reservation disappeared and I was thinking how can I prove my reservation details without the screenshot?

Emails you got when you made the reservation and follow-up payments?

I received my refund Saturday, and rebooked a new cruise today. I was on hold for 1 hour and 20 minutes, so be prepared for that! One nice surprise was, they did let me take 25% off of an already discounted Florida resident rate! If you're not a Florida resident they will also add the discount to "guarantee" rates as well. Ended up getting an amazing deal on a 7 night cruise the first week of November!

I received my refund Saturday, and rebooked a new cruise today. I was on hold for 1 hour and 20 minutes, so be prepared for that! One nice surprise was, they did let me take 25% off of an already discounted Florida resident rate! If you're not a Florida resident they will also add the discount to "guarantee" rates as well. Ended up getting an amazing deal on a 7 night cruise the first week of November!

Truly amazing! THey are going all out to keep guests happy. They've also extended the booking window to 90 days (instead of 30) and halved the deposit required on the new cruise....making it 10% of the discounted rate.

Emails you got when you made the reservation and follow-up payments?

I did a keyword search on my server and could not find previous emails. But eventually I found my reservation number.

I called 10 minutes after they opened this morning and waited over 90 minutes.

• 1 month later...

My refund turned into a nightmare of monstrous proportions. Disney says they are required to refund to the original card "by law".

Over the months, I paid $200 each 2 weeks until the cruise was paid in full. I started with the 20% deposit about 14 months before the cruise. Over those months, I paid with 3 different credit cards. One of those accounts had been closed. Tracking down the money took more than a month.

Some of it had been refunded to a card with a zero balance. That bank took 2 weeks to send the money to me. They wanted me to leave it on account and just spend it down.

Most of it had been refunded to a debit card with my bank. Only thing is, that card had been set aside and not used for a long time. Disney would tell me the last 4 digits of the card but had no idea which bank it was on. It took 10 hours of phone calls with DCL to finely figure out where the money went.

Some of it had been refunded to a credit card with another bank that had a balance so it was just applied.

Here's a warning. If you pay with a gift card, keep the card. If they refund to a gift card and you have since thrown it away, you are just out of luck.

Disney is mostly right.. It's by regulation more so than law but same effect (they are allowed to make exceptions but generally won't because it exposes them to liability)..

Gift cards BTW are the exception to the rule, wherein they can just issue a new one for the same amount specifically for the reason you mentioned and that should be insisted on.

My refund turned into a nightmare of monstrous proportions. Disney says they are required to refund to the original card "by law".

Over the months, I paid $200 each 2 weeks until the cruise was paid in full. I started with the 20% deposit about 14 months before the cruise. Over those months, I paid with 3 different credit cards. One of those accounts had been closed. Tracking down the money took more than a month.

Some of it had been refunded to a card with a zero balance. That bank took 2 weeks to send the money to me. They wanted me to leave it on account and just spend it down.

Most of it had been refunded to a debit card with my bank. Only thing is, that card had been set aside and not used for a long time. Disney would tell me the last 4 digits of the card but had no idea which bank it was on. It took 10 hours of phone calls with DCL to finely figure out where the money went.

Some of it had been refunded to a credit card with another bank that had a balance so it was just applied.

Here's a warning. If you pay with a gift card, keep the card. If they refund to a gift card and you have since thrown it away, you are just out of luck.

Not true--there are hoops that you have to jump thru, but you can have a new gift card issued.

You probably had the most complex payment history I've ever heard of. Glad you finally got it all sorted out. We've never had an issue, but then I use one card to pay for my trips.

That happened to me with NCL. Had to cancel before final payment and they refunded the same card several times at $250 a pop. That’s how I paid it every two weeks. That was not fun entering all that into my check register!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Just found this thread.. We booked for Sept 2018.. so if Disney cancels a cruise ( as in Irma).. they refund correct? I am trying to figure trip insurance right now out.. Had always heard hurricanes are not covered...

If DCL cancels a cruise, the cruise fare and taxes are 100% refunded. The cost of insurance is not. If they seriously alter a cruise (as when our 7 night cruise became a 4 night due to hurricane, we were offered our choice of cancel with full refund or take the 4 night with 40% refund plus an onboard credit and complimentary transportation from WDW or MCO to Port Everglades (where the cruise started) and from Port Canaveral to WDW or MCO at the end.

If a hurricane alters the ports, there is no refund--you booked a cruise of X days and you got a cruise of X days.

I'm not sure what you mean by "hurricanes are not covered," you have to read the fine print on the insurance. Anything that the cruise line refunds, the insurance company will not also pay. Most insurances will cover things like change fees on airline tickets, hotel costs if you had to stay on land, etc. For instance, for the 7night that became a 4 night , we were already in Florida. We could put in a claim for our additional nights in the hotel and food purchases.