Unique question... Liquor purchased thru Princess onboard - taken off ship

Wishing on a star

With all of the news and questions about the legitimacy of alcohol in Mexico, if we plan a beach day, I would like purchase a bottle of alcohol onboard, and then take it, unopened, off the ship, and order juices and virgin drinks.

I know that folks take bottles of water and some unopened and pre-packaged snacks thru customs.

Would an unopened small bottle of alcohol be an issue?

I can't answer your question - hope someone else can - but I did read very recently that the Mexican government had identified the source of the 'boot-leg' liquor that was actually killing people in the Cancun/Cozumel areas and had made some arrests. Hopefully that will help alleviate the problem.

With all of the news and questions about the legitimacy of alcohol in Mexico, if we plan a beach day, I would like purchase a bottle of alcohol onboard, and then take it, unopened, off the ship, and order juices and virgin drinks.

I know that folks take bottles of water and some unopened and pre-packaged snacks thru customs.

Whatever the "official" stance is I sincerely doubt anybody would even notice if you stuck a room service bottle in your bag and walked off the ship with it.

If you get it off make sure you drink it all!!! If you try to take it back on it will be confiscated and destroyed as it would be open.

With a 375 ml bottle I doubt it will be a problem to finish it during a long shore stay - especially if more than one person is drinking.

I know when we get off in Cozumel, we are required to have gate keepers look into our bags to make sure no fresh fruits are open food is taken. Not sure if at that point you'd run into an obstacle.

Latest difference was putting our backpack on the ground for a sniffer dog to discover any fruits or vegetables.

If you purchase duty free liquor on board at one of the Princess stores, it will be delivered to your cabin the last day. You can purchase liquor from room service for your cabin.

Why not pre cruise purchase a few miniature liquor bottles to take off the ship.

If you purchase duty free liquor on board at one of the Princess stores, it will be delivered to your cabin the last day. You can purchase liquor from room service for your cabin.

Why not pre cruise purchase a few miniature liquor bottles to take off the ship.

Those would be confiscated when boarding.

Grey

I am not talking the duty-free purchases that are held for you until after the cruise.

One can order bottles of wine and spirits to be delivered to your stateroom.

In particular, for us, they offer two kinds of smaller 1/2 size bottles of rum. Which would be good for refreshing tropical libations!

No liquor is allowed to be brought onto the ship, at all.

Now, I am all for saving a buck, but this seems like you may be trying to save a nickel. Mexican resorts have plenty of liquor available to add to your drinks. Also, at $ 1.50 to $ 2.00 an oz for ship pre-buy liquor, I still think you aren't saving anything.

The OP wasn't trying to save a nickle. Was concerned about the quality of what is being served in Mexico as being not real liquor after the reported deaths after consummation, and poisoning being reported in the news

Are you talking Cozumel? If so and if Princess uses the same terminal as Carnival, the terminal had package liquor at prices cheaper than at the duty free shop onboard. Why not pick up a bottle in the terminal? If not Cozumel, please just disregard this comment.

So all the focus thus far had been on whether a bottle can be removed from the ship to land without incident. But when the cruiser gets to the location of interest and expects to order juice or mixer and make his/her own drinks, what's to say the establishment is going to allow a customer to use outside liquor and make their own drinks? :confused:

I am more concerned with the preponderance of questionable alcohol, that is now well known.

I simply wish to have some North American sourced alcohol.

The above link seems to be a limited instance of laced drinks.

Which I really do not see as an issue at any of the places that we will be going.

I hate for my thread to go on, past my original question, and/or be hijacked.

So, for now.... I will make no further comments/posts here.

• 4 months later...

If you declare it it gets kept until last day. If you do not declare it it gets confiscated.