INTERNET - UNLIMITED - Can i purchase this daily (24 hours) +wireless router-repeater

jaydonny

From what I have seen here, it is for the entire trip,, not per day.

As to the wireless router, repeater. If you are able to log into the system via that, it might work. But - as I understand these things, when you add that in, speeds will drop. Some reason you would use a router/repeater?

You can't purchase by day @ $24.99. You can (as of last Oct TA) wait several days to purchase (reducing the total cost by days skipped) --it was by the 4th day of 13, iirc; however, there should be a sign at the internet desk. With only 2 of us, I've never bothered with a travel router esp as the ones I've investigated require a wired connection to the web source. I'm sure some have bridge mode.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Ok thanks.

I have a Tp Link N300 Nano wireless router and if we go into the public areas we connect a portable power bank to it. We are not addicted honestley lol

That's good to know (about the router). I'm always looking for real users to give me the info. I've looked at that one for possible Chromecast usage.

Sent from my Nexus 9 using Tapatalk

That's good to know (about the router). I'm always looking for real users to give me the info. I've looked at that one for possible Chromecast usage.

Sent from my Nexus 9 using Tapatalk

The first step is ______ (just kidding)

I do travel with a wireless router thing - more as one more step before somebody gets into our stuff, or for hotels that only allow one device. (HooToo) We do so little on the ship, one at a time seems to work fine. For some, I guess that would be an issue. If you can get that work with one unlimited plan, it would be great.

First, disclaimer - discussions on use of travel router/repeater isn't for the average non-tech users. Geeks, here we go.

On land-based trips, travel laptop with built-in WiFi hotspot functionality ... is best over a solid ethernet connection, i.e. hotels with device restrictions and # of connections per sign-on. Fortunately, much less expensive than ship's satellite data but often still not quantum speed, not even close.

If connection is slow, throttled & cache - high latency plus low speed is going to be worst by a reduction factor of 50% or more if you attempt to bridge or relay the signal (repeater). I can setup either my TP-Link nano travel router with tomato DD-WRT firmware or (preferred) Edimax router (also matchbox sized) with both WAN & LAN ports for hard-wired I/O, just not a cruise.

With the possible exception of the 3 ships with the newer WiFi server/hardware upgraded (BA, GA & Escape) ... it's unlikely that you can get any usable speed for sharing the paid WiFi data sailing NCL, even if you can workaround the TCP/UDP firewall ports. Basic email or online web search is doable but forget that 720p HD netflix (download it pre-cruise.)

i.e. typical Roku 2016-17 (latest) streaming stick used to connect easily to hotel's WiFi, it's routinely blocked these days - need a doubled bridge using 2 routers to get it connected ... but, duplex speed drop virtually made it impractical to cast youtube OTA. I can playback my download/stored offline video contents off the SSD drive to the larger screen with such elaborate setup ...again, not for the average cruisers. I will play with this on the BA again in a few weeks

Unless you need to do this for business and/or plan to be holed up in the stateroom or suite for an extended period of time for much of the cruise ... it's really, IMHO, not worth the effort & trouble. Switch among multiple devices as needed, one at a time is better. Good luck.

Enjoy the ship and the cruise instead.

We used a hootoo on jade recently. It was pretty frustrating. It probably worked about 40 percent of the time. When it worked, we were able to connect multiple devices without much problem but when we got dropped it was often hard to get back in, and we found ourselves just connecting a single device without using the hootoo.

• 2 months later...

I am thinking of sharing the unlimited package with 3 cabins. Assign 1 hour blocks to each cabin, ie. Cabin 1 8,11,2,5 and Cabin 2 9,12,3,6, etc. IF 2 in one cabin, they can each divide the time between themselves.

Questions: Is it easy to sign in?

I suppose one cabin buys the package and shares his/her ID and password???

Does the ID / Password have to be the same as an NCL or ship password (ie. can everyone see the Buyer's reservations, ship charges, etc.??

Thanks.

login/password is not tied to your ships account.

But, you can all share it. I think you will find lots of folks do well with an hour or two for the entire cruise. So, all that time on, time off is not a big issue.

Only issue is when folks all wake up at once and want to "connect to the world" at the same time.