Princess transfers for an early flight

jrl

I'm sailing on Regal in February and I'm looking for opinions about using a Princess transfer vs taxi out of Ft Lauderdale.

I have a 10:30AM flight purchased from Princess EZ Air and we do not use Uber/Lyft (yes, I know it's cheaper).

Haven't used a cruise line transfer since my first cruise 25 years ago. Initial thought was to use Princess despite the cost since this is an early flight but I'm seeing older posts about waiting for the bus to fill. Would you use a transfer if you had a flight this early?

A taxi would cost less than the transfer and should be quicker. But the last time I sailed from FLL was on Allure of the Seas and the taxi line was a mess (non existent). Took us 30 or 40 minutes to get a taxi. There was no organization and people were tossing bags into cabs without regard to those who were waiting before.

Is the Princess terminal run better? Is there actually a taxi line with someone directing traffic? Would the taxi situation be less stressful now that Uber is diverting passengers away from the taxis?

Princess won't sell you the transfer, your flight is too early. Grab your bags and grab a cab, it is a short trip to the airport and they have curbside check in for your luggage. As for how organized the process is, it depends upon which pier you come into. Pier 2 is very efficient and organized.

Thanks, seems like a taxi is the way to go.

But 1030AM is too early for a transfer when the flight was bought from Princess and it falls within the departure guideline?

Regal's scheduled arrival is 6AM and from the Princess flight guideline FAQ.

"Earliest Domestic Flight Departure for Ft. Lauderdale: 4 hours and 30 minutes after ship's arrival."

"Earliest Domestic Flight Departure for Ft. Lauderdale: 4 hours and 30 minutes after ship's arrival."

That is their earliest suggested flight, not necessarily using their transfers. I bet their earliest flight they will give you transfers is 11:00, or maybe 11:30.

They usually will not sell transfers for flights before 11:30. All sorts of things can slow down disembarkation, and put Princess behind schedule. It is the things beyond their control they cover themselves for with taking responsibility for making flights when selling transfer - the availability of adequate ICE personnel is the big thing, and any delay offloading passenger luggage is another, as it is subject to those adorable doggies checking for contraband before the passengers even see their bags.

I don't think you will be able to get a transfer that early.

I would walk off and take one of the taxi's waiting there at the port.

That's your best chance of making your flight without stress.

It's doable, but you will need to do some work to make it happen.

Good luck.

Thanks everyone. Was second guessing the taxi because of the last time in Florida but it sounds like it shouldn't be a problem assuming Regal docks on time.

I was on the Royal last April and had a 10:30 flight, requested the earliest ship departure time, grabbed a cab, no lines, and made it to the airport with plenty of time to spare.

Was that earliest self disembark or earliest time slot with the bags collected the night before?

I would take the taxi anyway, but I disagree with others speculating no Princess transfers would leave before 11 or 11:30. Come one people!! Princess zeros the ship long before that and people are rolling off in droves. A full transfer bus isn't going to sit there for two hours or more an not leave for FLL.

But it doesn't make financial sense to pay them extra to sit around for any amount of time and have no control over your destiny when it is easy to grab a cab and be on your way.

We often travel with friends and they have taxi vans there as well to accommodate larger parties. Same price on the meter. If you are checked in and only have carry-on, enjoy breakfast and no need to rush off to the airport at 7:00am.

The nutty thing about Princess is that had your flight time been 10:25am, E-Z Air would not allow the booking. Ridiculous. 4.5 hrs after arrival is bonkers for Port Everglades if flying out of FLL.

Thanks everyone. Was second guessing the taxi because of the last time in Florida but it sounds like it shouldn't be a problem assuming Regal docks on time.

Was that earliest self disembark or earliest time slot with the bags collected the night before?

Princess brings the big ones in early since there are a lot more people to disembark and be ready to board the next crowd. Has to be. The older Grand class group is still at the original 7:00am time. They want 4:00pm as sailaway, so they need more time with more passengers involved. But the "legal" time before earliest flight is nuts if you ask me.

The other poster can answer, but self-disembark is planned to begin within minutes of 6:00am - like 6:15 or 6:10 (Regal and I just don't recall exactly). Regular early disembark's (claim bags down in the hall) is not long after that. Let's say early enough that you could walk to the airport if so inclined.

BTW, if you have Global Entry or NEXUS, there is a dedicated customs line in the hall after you disembark.

I would take the taxi anyway, but I disagree with others speculating no Princess transfers would leave before 11 or 11:30. Come one people!! Princess zeros the ship long before that and people are rolling off in droves. A full transfer bus isn't going to sit there for two hours or more an not leave for FLL.

I would say "Come on people" back to you. The 11 or 11:30 time is NOT for when the transfers are, but for what time your flight should not be before. They don't want to encourage a too early flight, and then cause you to miss it, or cause you to rush to catch your plane. It is a conservative suggestion for your flight, not the transfers.

And, in the same vein, typical the luggage transfer services have the same time issue. No flights before 11:30 covered by their services.

And, by the way, this is not speculation. It is based on 6 or 7 cruises out of FLL, 21 total,,observing these policies.

But it doesn't make financial sense to pay them extra to sit around for any amount of time and have no control over your destiny when it is easy to grab a cab and be on your way.

We often travel with friends and they have taxi vans there as well to accommodate larger parties. Same price on the meter. If you are checked in and only have carry-on, enjoy breakfast and no need to rush off to the airport at 7:00am.

The nutty thing about Princess is that had your flight time been 10:25am, E-Z Air would not allow the booking. Ridiculous. 4.5 hrs after arrival is bonkers for Port Everglades if flying out of FLL.

It is not that the transfer bus won't leave until 11 or 11:30. It is that the luggage and passengers are supposed to arrive at the airport 2 hours before their flight time, i.e. by 9 or 9:30. Yes, the ship is usually zeroed by 10:15, but getting buses out of there by 8:30 ish is not guaranteed.

I would say "Come on people" back to you. The 11 or 11:30 time is NOT for when the transfers are, but for what time your flight should not be before. They don't want to encourage a too early flight, and then cause you to miss it, or cause you to rush to catch your plane. It is a conservative suggestion for your flight, not the transfers.

And, in the same vein, typical the luggage transfer services have the same time issue. No flights before 11:30 covered by their services.

And, by the way, this is not speculation. It is based on 6 or 7 cruises out of FLL, 21 total,,observing these policies.

It is not that the transfer bus won't leave until 11 or 11:30. It is that the luggage and passengers are supposed to arrive at the airport 2 hours before their flight time, i.e. by 9 or 9:30. Yes, the ship is usually zeroed by 10:15, but getting buses out of there by 8:30 ish is not guaranteed.

Sorry, but I have to respectfully disagree with both of you. It only makes sense that if Princess "allows" (enforced with EZ Air) bookings beginning at 4.5 hrs after arrival time, that they will have transfers to support the departing flights.

In order to prove this to myself and make this reply, I setup a mock booking (my current active booking is with a TA so I would have to bother them). In setting it up I selected a transfer from Port to FLL. After the booking was setup, I went through the Cruise Personalizer and filled in all the stuff so the booking was marked "Complete". I then went into EZ Air to book a departing flight. The earliest time was still 4.5 hrs after ship's arrival time into PE.

Therefore, booking a Princess transfer does not require one to make a flight even later than the 4.5 hr imposition. Also, I have seen nothing where Princess states they cannot get you to a "legal" departing flight.

If you have a 10:30am or 11:30 am flight with a 6:00am or 7:00am arrival, Princess will assign a disembarkation time to get you onto a bus and to FLL in time for the flight. It becomes their responsibility, just like if you book flight with them pre-cruise.

But, as I said before, I would never use their transfer service for three reasons:

1) Too costly compared to taxi.

2) Taxi means I am in control and have the convenience to go when I want to

3) I can make an earlier flight if I want to.

PS - It's not all that long ago that the imposed time was 3.5 hrs after arrival back at PE. That was generous for FLL. 4.5 is simply over-kill.

You changed the subject. First you said we were wrong to say no bus would move until 11 or 11:30. (We didn't say that- buses will definitely move before 11am.)

Now you are closer to the subject. It seems most all cruise lines have a "recommended flight time", in this case for FLL it is 11 or 11:30. The "4.5 hours after docking" is a solid, realistic start, but that is a blanket statement, it doesn't just apply to their bigger ships. (Plus, in FLL, the "Monsters of the Seas" are always in first, about 5:30.) Perhaps Princess is not enforcing it strictly. Luggage Direct is, for their purpose.

Princess cares little when your departing flight is...it could be 8:30. And they will get you in an early disembarking group for that 8:30 flight. But I am not sure they will support you making that 8:30 flight- what they say on the ship when you want your luggage tag and bus seat may be different than what you are seeing in your test booking.

As Colo Cruiser said, just take a cab. Far easier.

Thanks, seems like a taxi is the way to go.

But 1030AM is too early for a transfer when the flight was bought from Princess and it falls within the departure guideline?

Regal's scheduled arrival is 6AM and from the Princess flight guideline FAQ.

in Australia princess allows us to book flights 3 hours 30 mins after docking

It was "earliest time slot with the bags collected the night before".

In your situation (and we have been in your situation) we use Express Debarkation (walk off with all your own luggage) and try to grab a taxi. If there is a long taxi queue (this can happen) we then check for Uber or Lyft availability. But since you have rules out the latter, you will be at the mercy of the taxi queue. Most of the time it should not be a problem.

Hank

Perhaps I misunderstood, but...

If you used Princess EZair and then buy a transfer from the ship, does this not imply some kind of guarantee that they'll get your there on time?

This is one of the few exceptions where I might cough up the money for the overpriced ship transfer, assuming that if they got me there late for that flight, EZair would be on the hook for any airline change fees. The extra money for the transfer might be worth the reduced stress of worrying about the tight turnaround.

Perhaps I misunderstood, but...

If you used Princess EZair and then buy a transfer from the ship, does this not imply some kind of guarantee that they'll get your there on time?

This is one of the few exceptions where I might cough up the money for the overpriced ship transfer, assuming that if they got me there late for that flight, EZair would be on the hook for any airline change fees. The extra money for the transfer might be worth the reduced stress of worrying about the tight turnaround.

There is no GTY with transfers. Other then them getting you to the airport you are on your own. Don't chance it. A lot can happen while you are waiting to depart. You can see the airport from the ship and the ship from the gates. Taxi is usually under $15.

We have never had an issue walking right out of the terminal and getting a taxi.

There is no GTY with transfers. Other then them getting you to the airport you are on your own. Don't chance it. A lot can happen while you are waiting to depart. You can see the airport from the ship and the ship from the gates. Taxi is usually under $15.

We have never had an issue walking right out of the terminal and getting a taxi.

And once you leave the terminal you will be in a cab in less than 5 minutes.

You changed the subject. First you said we were wrong to say no bus would move until 11 or 11:30. (We didn't say that- buses will definitely move before 11am.)

Now you are closer to the subject. It seems most all cruise lines have a "recommended flight time", in this case for FLL it is 11 or 11:30. The "4.5 hours after docking" is a solid, realistic start, but that is a blanket statement, it doesn't just apply to their bigger ships. (Plus, in FLL, the "Monsters of the Seas" are always in first, about 5:30.) Perhaps Princess is not enforcing it strictly. Luggage Direct is, for their purpose.

Princess cares little when your departing flight is...it could be 8:30. And they will get you in an early disembarking group for that 8:30 flight. But I am not sure they will support you making that 8:30 flight- what they say on the ship when you want your luggage tag and bus seat may be different than what you are seeing in your test booking.

As Colo Cruiser said, just take a cab. Far easier.

Sorry, I think you are correct that I generalized and misinterpreted the intent in a couple of postings and then generalized in my original post. I had no intent to change subject and didn't mean to do so if you think that happened. That said you did post at #3: "Princess won't sell you the transfer, your flight is too early." Princess will most definitely sell a transfer for a legal flight and the OP has a legal E-Z Air flight.

And Princess does care if a customer books too early a flight as they flag it in Cruise Personalizer. If a customer doesn't share their flight info until filling out the disembarkation paper on board, well nothing they will do other than assign an early disembark time as you state. But booking an airport transfer in your Cruise Personalizer has nothing to do with the disembarkation process on board.

As I said - and most of us here - take a cab!