Lufthansa carry on regs

ninkb

I've read the regulations on the web site, but is the carry on really restricted to 55cm x 40cm x 20cm?

We'll be on a 747 and Airbus 300's. If my carry on is slightly bigger (by 2 inches in depth) and I have an average sized back pack as a personal item, will I have to gate check either?

Your experience is needed, rather than the party line.

Thanks for any advice!

:) ninkb

My own prediction....the carry-on might slide on its own, but add in an "average sized backpack" and you will have plenty of alarm bells ringing. It's pushing the "personal item" envelope that will get you nabbed for both.

Remember, "personal item" is not a code phrase for "second carry-on".

I've read the regulations on the web site, but is the carry on really restricted to 55cm x 40cm x 20cm?
No, the airline just makes up some random numbers and puts them on the website for fun to irritate and confuse their passengers. They don't mean it. Bring whatever you like.

to offend, Globaliser. Sometimes the restrictions are fleet wide and don't apply to the larger planes, which is what we'll be flying. The depth of 8" seems hardly "carry on" size.

I do appreciate the suggestion to not have the backpack in addition to the carryon. I guess I've become accustomed to our US companies that allow a rolling carry on as well as something that fits under the seat (my backpack does and is a wonderful travel companion).

Sometimes the restrictions are fleet wide and don't apply to the larger planes, which is what we'll be flying.
The restrictions are very clear about what happens on smaller aircraft. If these restrictions didn't apply to the mainline longhaul fleet, the website would have said so, and said what restrictions do apply to them. They are hardly unusual aircraft - these are the backbone of Lufthansa's operation.
The depth of 8" seems hardly "carry on" size.
The size restrictions are hardly unusual. The quoted size will accommodate a small wheelie, such as the one that I take on weekend trips. One of the pleasures of flying on non-US airlines is not having to deal with a cabin full of suitcases that belong in the hold and not in the cabin.

You might want to look again at the website to see exactly what you are allowed in addition to the one bag of the quoted size:-

Additional items which are allowed in the cabinIn addition to your hand baggage and technical appliances you may take the following items into the cabin:

• A handbag, wrist bag or small bag (or small laptop bag) and their content
  • A coat, shawl or blanket
  • A small camera or a pair of binoculars
  • An appropriate amount of reading material for the journey
  • A infant carrier and baby food for the flight
  • Crutches or other orthopedic aids you are depending on

No, the airline just makes up some random numbers and puts them on the website for fun to irritate and confuse their passengers. They don't mean it. Bring whatever you like.

Including the kitchen sink which is what alot of travellers seem to include as carry on - sorry one of my pet peeves when I can't put my carry on above for the luggage in the bins that should be checked!!

Including the kitchen sink which is what alot of travellers seem to include as carry on - sorry one of my pet peeves when I can't put my carry on above for the luggage in the bins that should be checked!!

ditto:rolleyes:

we travelled with LH on our last cruise trip and boy, LH in Frankfurt is very strict with their carry on baggage. we had the agent who weighed our carry ons, and yes, they were slightly heavier than allowed, so we had to check the carry on. fine with us, as we were flying home after the cruise.

the best thing is to get a luggage scale and weigh your carry on. but do stay within the sizes as listed on their website. we take the scale with us on our trips.

on the way over, YVR did not weigh our carry on (we had no luggage to check) and we were under 8 kg (the limit) we also took a tote bag that fits under the airline seat (I put my purse into it too)

I would be annoyed if people are bringing on carry ons that really are larger than allowed (different airlines may have different sizes) and then they put them in the overhead storage and take more space than allowed. what this means: the next passenger has less space for his/her stuff. groan!

cruzisme! We go through Frankfurt and I certainly don't want trouble while enroute. We also use a luggage scale and have never been over, but it's nice to know where there is leeway and where there isn't.

I think I'll use my backpack as my carry on, and also use a tote that fits under the seat.

To all who have responded, I do thank you for your help. Better to be well prepared than to be sorry.

And to any who think I'm one who hogs the luggage space, I'm not. It's just that the luggage I own fits USA regs and I am not going to buy new carryons. You've all helped me to figure out how to use what I already have. DH just has to figure out how to carry his camera equipment safely, and according to regs.

Happy travels and cruising to all of you!

:) ninkb

• 1 year later...

You absolutely can't argue with LH on carry on luggage. They are ready to enfore their rules and will do so.

It is almost as if they enjoy making Americans (who are used to carrying on the kitchen sink) jump through hoops, repack bags etc.

While we waited for our Luftansa flight in Charlotte passenger agents wandered the crowd and targeted many "carry-on" items that had to be checked. As a former flight attendant I personnally thought they were spot on with their determinations on what was carry-on and what needed to be checked. Lots of people after figuring out what was going on left the area but I don't think they got past the gate agents when boarding with their "carry-on".

:D:D:D LOL!

Most passengers think the rules are for everybody else, so THEY can bring everything they like and be able to stick it in the overhead bins because the other suckers left their kitchen sink at home.

Archived