Gate 1 Russian River Cruise ?

smcruiser

If you hit on "All River Cruise Rollcalls", you will find Russia 2013 and Russia 2012 posts. I'm sure some people will be able to answer any of your questions and maybe you can find someone on your sailing.

Sheila

Pack half as many clothes and take twice as much money! :D

I just got back from Russia last month on the ms Russ. Didn't book with gate 1, but am quite familiar with them and can answer most questions you want to know about the cruise.

Pack clothes you can layer. Bring a hat, raincoat, duck shoes if you have them (rubber shoes), sunscreen, mosquito repellent, a scarf for your head (ladies), toiletries and unless you don;t mind shelling out the cash- water/pop for your personal use.

Thanks for the info....I always set out all the clothes I want to take and then remove the stuff I can live without, which is usually half. As a guy, I was more interested in knowing if a jacket is expected for dinner (like other cruises). Did you notice if shorts were okay for walking around town? or does that make you stand out more as a tourist. I know if a church is on the schedule, you should always were pants.

Jackets and ties were common for the dressy occasions and some wore them often to dinner. Most meals were casual though with the jacket and tie saved for Captain's dinners.

Khaki pants were common for the fellas and several wore shorts or zip offs. We never had an issue with shorts in the cathedrals. I just now relooked thru my pictures before posting this to double check. We had several guys in walking shorts on each of our cathedral tours. I wore capris- as did many of the ladies. My daughter wore walking shorts a couple of times as well. It was not an issue for our group.

No worries about standing out as a tourist- you will! But most of the people at the places you'll be seeing will be with tour groups. Places like Peterhof and the Hermitage reserve certain times of day for groups to tour. So yes, it's obvious you're a tourist, but you'll not stand out amongst the hundreds of other tourists!

So pack your shorts AND your jacket and tie. :)

Archived