Divina balconies on 8th floor

joyce&bob

How bad are the balconies on the 8th floor? Specifically, 8137 & 8139. Anyone have photo of how much the lifeboats block view. Have cruised many times but never had what other cruise lines call obstructed view. When booking this cruise my TA never mentioned these cabins having an obstructed view.

Since I convinced my friends to join us and the lure was a balcony cabin. Now I am feeling bad that their first experience in a balcony may not be very good.

How bad are the balconies on the 8th floor? Specifically, 8137 & 8139. Anyone have photo of how much the lifeboats block view. Have cruised many times but never had what other cruise lines call obstructed view. When booking this cruise my TA never mentioned these cabins having an obstructed view.

Since I convinced my friends to join us and the lure was a balcony cabin. Now I am feeling bad that their first experience in a balcony may not be very good.

Here's a link to CruiseTrail's cabin review. Scroll down to post #113 and you will see the view from behind the lifeboats.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2085097&page=6

I am sorry to be the bearer of disappointing news but both 8137 and 8139 are listed as "partially restricted views" on the Divina deck pl;ans

Here are the images for you to see

The legend from the DIVINA DECK PLANS

8139.jpg

And a close up of the relevant part

8137.jpg

This I fear answers your question, but not in the manner you wanted

Once again sorry to be the bearer of the news

Pete

Edited by Skier52

here is what Cruisetrail has to say about the cabins in question along with a cople of images copied from his thread

The worst of the worst on Deck 8 are balconies in the corners formated by Humps and recessed in superstructure.

I would also add a few balconies behind huge irregular form davits.

Irregular davits near 8137-8143 and 8184-8140:

1_zpscc8fe669.jpg~original

3_zpse6161946.jpg~original

Pete

OK trying to get over my dissatisfaction with my balcony cabin view.

PLEASE can anyone offer some pluses for these cabins........

Standing, you'll still have straight out, left, right, and up views!

Sitting you'll still be able to look up at the sky!

Still preferable choice over an inside, or ocean view cabin!

Found this picture on Google of 8125, close to yours to give you an idea, it doesn't look so bad!

MSC-Divina-8125-3889.JPG

Call room service each morning, have them deliver some coffee, tea, milk, juice, whatever you like to wake up with in the morning, add a few snacks like muffins, toast, some fruit, etc., and sit on your balcony with your treats and enjoy a relaxed, calm, quiet way to wake up before facing the masses in the dining room, or buffet!

And don't forget your balcony also serves as your oasis during your cruise when you want to get away from the masses!

You'll still be able to view sail away, or arrivals into ports from your balcony if you wish!

PS if your balconies are next to each other, have your room attendant open the divider and enjoy an enlarged balcony with your friends!

OK trying to get over my dissatisfaction with my balcony cabin view.

PLEASE can anyone offer some pluses for these cabins........

Hi Joyce&Bob,

The most effective way for that is to change cabins.

If not...

Tell your friends that these cabins have a connecting door (that you probably requested). Also the balcony divider can be opened to create connected balconies.

Note that your cabin is close to the Atrium.

Play a show for your friends on embarkation. You'll probably get into the Atrium first. Instead of using elevators (where all the crowds will be) guide them up sparkling staircases in the Atrium directly to deck 8 - a few steps from you cabin.

You can use deck 8 hallway to go all the way forward (Theatre) or all the way aft (Villa Rossa main dining room) for quick access to those places. The Villa Rossa is not easy to get to from public decks.

You won't have to wait for elevators (Decks 5-6-7-8).

Enjoy your cruise!

P.S. Just noticed... No, your balcony is not for sail away views.

Edited by cruisetrail

I left a message for my TA requesting cabin change....but TA not available until Monday.

So I have been looking at TA sites & did not see any available cabins next to each other. The 4 of us really wanted cabins next to each other so we could open the dividers and share time on the balconies .

I left a message for my TA requesting cabin change....but TA not available until Monday.

So I have been looking at TA sites & did not see any available cabins next to each other. The 4 of us really wanted cabins next to each other so we could open the dividers and share time on the balconies .

Don't worry too much!! My DH and I booked balcony guarantees with our children, so we had to book one adult and one child into each cabin. I had stressed our preference to be near each other, but when we got our cabin assignments, we were far apart, and one of had gotten one of these obstructed view balcony cabins, and one of us was booked aft on 8 where it is unobstructed. I called our TA and asked that they contact MSC about moving us. Apparently MSC is reluctant to do this, but a little pressure from our TA got us cabins right next to each other out of the the obstructed view cabins. We're still on 8, but at the aft which is ok with us.

my TA got us changed from 8137 & 8139 to 9062 & 9066.

Hope these are better.....anybody have any info.?

These are somwhat better, but, and it's only a medium "but" they are "in-hull" (or what Cunard call protected) balconies.

Basically they have are a large hole cut out of teh metal of the hull.

The views when standing at the rail will be unrestricted but will be like looking out of an ocean view cabin window (without any glass in it) when seated.

i've copied one of cruistrail's photos across for you to see

In-hull4_zps3e0104ba.jpg~original

Pete

now you have me crying.......I'm ready to just give-up.....

These type of balconies are shown on any deck plans so TAs don't know about them. they will offer them in good faith

Im fact the position of the balconies is different on Divina and Preziosa from Spledida and Fantasia.

it takes an enthusiast like me or cruisetrail to alert people to their existence.

I'm sorry to still be the bearer of not the best news but they are better than the ones you had originally

Pete

If you choose any of the cabins in the orange areas you will be OK, choose deck 8 for your original cabin grade or deck 9 for your new cabin grade,

Alternatively choose deck 9 between 9103 and 9133 on the port side or 9106 and 9134, they will have much better views than any deck 8 cabins beneath them but will still look down on to a life boat. to get any better will mean going up one or more decks and as you go up so does the price, which is not really what you're after ( I think)

deck8-9-1.jpg

Pete

Edited by Skier52

I really hope you get some cabins you are happy with and that you and your friends have a really great cruise. i'll help all I can for the rest of today but I'm afraid that's all I can offer as I'm sailing On MSC OPERA tommorow for 21 nights , on a UK to S. Africa repositioning cruise.

Good luck with your endeavours in finding a cabin

Pete

i have a call in to my TA......but in the meantime is their a site I can go to that will tell exactly what cabins are available on the 10/18/2014 Divina sailing?

If you go to your Countries site and try doing a dummy booking as far as select your cabin you will be able to some of the cabins available but probably not all of them, This may give you an answer but then again it may not

Afraid that's all I can offer

Pete

cabins 10228 & 10232

YES!!!! YES!!!! YES!!!!

Good views , the one compromise is that they are not next door to each other so the idea of linking balconies is a non starter but they are miles ahead of the original ones on offer

Good luck with getting them

Pete

Edited by Skier52

• 1 month later...
Any info on balcony 9242 on the Divina?

A standard balcony cabin , 192 sq ft with a 42 sq ft balcony, No issues with any of the following:-

A) views left and right ,( a full 180 degree view)

B) overhang

C) view down to ocean ,( no lifeboat below balcony)

Only cabins above, below, to either side and opposite, so no unusual noise issues other than other inconsiderate guests.

Convenient for the lift to the MDRs

It is a long way to the theatre but that hopefully is only a minor issue assuming you have no mobility probems.

All in all a great position and it is rated as "fantastica" experience.

Pete

Edited by Skier52

Anyone know what happened to Cruistrail's long MSC Divina review? I had it bookmarked and now it's not coming up. I need to see what kind of view either 8244 or 8246 has. Thanks in advance if anyone has pictures of the ship's exterior showing those balconies maybe a view of the cabin itself. Thank you!

These are somwhat better, but, and it's only a medium "but" they are "in-hull" (or what Cunard call protected) balconies.

Basically they have are a large hole cut out of teh metal of the hull.

The views when standing at the rail will be unrestricted but will be like looking out of an ocean view cabin window (without any glass in it) when seated.

i've copied one of cruistrail's photos across for you to see

In-hull4_zps3e0104ba.jpg~original

Pete

Skier52- you are extremely knowledgeable, I am impressed!! You are a great wealth of knowledge to us newbies.

With that said, I asked a question on another thread about MSC Divina yacht club #16015 vs 16013 vs 16033- looking for exact sq footage of cabin & balcony...if you have the info that would be great...thanks :):)

Edited by skate4fun