Norwegian Cruise Line Bans Food Outside of Dining Areas

LauraS

But, I agree with you, if I am going to pay $7.95 for delivery of room service, I might as well order a drink for around the same price, pay for that, and avoid the delivery fee, even if I could get the drink for $0 elsewhere.

It won't work that way...they will bill you for the drink and then charge the food delivery convenience fee.

But that's not what the small print reads/says at the bottom of the menu.

Harriet

I can certainly SEE why people would interpret it the way that you do, but you're not going to gain traction with it and trying to get what you believe it says is just going to result in an argument with guest services.

Someone returned from a cruise and reported exactly what I said would happen, happening.

If this were the policy (order a drink) wouldn't everyone just order a bottle of water and then order food and have the convenience fee removed? Wouldn't that be widely reported on here as "the way" to do it?

Really, I admire people parsing the language to look for an advantage, but it just isn't there.

I can certainly SEE why people would interpret it the way that you do, but you're not going to gain traction with it and trying to get what you believe it says is just going to result in an argument with guest services.

Someone returned from a cruise and reported exactly what I said would happen, happening.

If this were the policy (order a drink) wouldn't everyone just order a bottle of water and then order food and have the convenience fee removed? Wouldn't that be widely reported on here as "the way" to do it?

Really, I admire people parsing the language to look for an advantage, but it just isn't there.

I will give it a try next week on my cruise and see how it goes

You've brought this point up ad infinitum and have had many people explain their point of view. It's obvious you will never understand so stop bringing it up. If yoy don't get it you won't.

Stop bringing it up? The whiners and complainers on here bring this up at nauseam. This is not going to change and there's nothing you can do about it. Sitting here complaining is not going to change anything I can pretty much guarantee you that.

Besides those of us reading and hearing about this new policy here on CC, is there anything official actually posted on board the ships? (I admittedly have not had time to read through all 18 pages here or on all the other threads about this "no food to your room policy" so sorry if it's been answered.)

Besides those of us reading and hearing about this new policy here on CC, is there anything official actually posted on board the ships? (I admittedly have not had time to read through all 18 pages here or on all the other threads about this "no food to your room policy" so sorry if it's been answered.)

I have no idea if/when they will post this new policy on the ships. My guess is never because it's unenforceable and just plain stupid.

I will say that if dirty dishes cluttering the hallways were the ACTUAL reason for the policy, the proper place to start addressing that problem would be in communicating a request to passengers to NOT place used dishes in the halls! To my knowledge NCL has NEVER done that in any fashion, be it on Dailies, on the website, or emails to TAs or passengers.

They just redid the RS menu. Surely the overwhelming problem of dirty, disgusting, filthy dishes with rotting food didn't just start -- was likely just as big a problem two months ago. But is there ANYTHING on that menu about "When you're done with your meal, kindly leave your dishes inside your room for the steward to take care of"?!

Nope, nothing.

Stop bringing it up? The whiners and complainers on here bring this up at nauseam. This is not going to change and there's nothing you can do about it. Sitting here complaining is not going to change anything I can pretty much guarantee you that.

I am talking about your continued "i don't understand why" comments. People are different than you and do things different. You get that or you don't.

They just redid the RS menu. Surely the overwhelming problem of dirty, disgusting, filthy dishes with rotting food didn't just start -- was likely just as big a problem two months ago. But is there ANYTHING on that menu about "When you're done with your meal, kindly leave your dishes inside your room for the steward to take care of"?!

Nope, nothing.

I agree. If that was a problem, why not ask passengers to leave dishes inside the room? Assuming people embrace the new RS menu, there is the possibility that the number of RS trays in the hallway could grow in number. Since you can now get hot food from RS, people may eventually order more once the change is accepted.

I still think the no food outside of dining areas rule was put in place to force people to use RS. The way they have gone about implementing the new RS menu is totally off base. It's hard to imagine how they could have done it any worse. If they had left a few complementary items at each meal and charged only for bringing the new/hot items, people would have embraced the change and would have felt that it was a benefit. No need then for the no take out rule, which has so many people upset.

I am talking about your continued "i don't understand why" comments. People are different than you and do things different. You get that or you don't.

The comment brings up an old adage that bears repeating.

If you want to understand, no explanation is needed.

If you DON'T WANT TO UNDERSTAND -- NO EXPLANATION IS POSSIBLE !!!

Could it be that the confusion about the RS charges may stem from the fact that Del Rio dismissed the people who had experience and knew what they were doing ???

Maybe the results are coming from the family and friends of Del Rio who are now in those positions.

Edited by swedish weave

Just to add a quick substantive comment / suggestion about the policy: I asked DW whether she noticed any dishes / plates littering the hallway on our Oasis cruise a couple of week ago. I previously posted that I had not. She noted that anytime she observed a crew member passing anything on the ground, including a cup, plate etc., they picked it up (and presumably dropped it off in an appropriate location). That seemed to be the policy, or at least the crew culture, on the Oasis, and it worked because the hallways were not littered with plates and cups and the ship was generally very clean.

So, to those complaining that those criticizing the policy are not offering any concrete alternatives, I would say that if this simple idea works on the world's largest cruise ship why could it not work on NCL? Or, as others have proposed, instruct passengers to leave plates in cabin for pickup at regular cabin service intervals. Result: clear hallways.

IMHO, those are two concrete proposals that would achieve the same objective without causing anywhere near the current level of consternation.

Could it be that the confusion about the RS charges may stem from the fact that Del Rio dismissed the people who had experience and knew what they were doing ???

Maybe the results are coming from the family and friends of Del Rio who are now in those positions.

I'm a bit confused by your comment since FDR appointed a long time NCL employee as President of NCL. This is apparently who he wants running the company. The job losses that I am aware of are in the areas where services have been combined. One area that is currently being combined is entertainment. NCL entertainers are gradually phasing onto Oceania and Regent ships as the contracts end with their entertainment group.

The comment brings up an old adage that bears repeating.

If you want to understand, no explanation is needed.

If you DON'T WANT TO UNDERSTAND -- NO EXPLANATION IS POSSIBLE !!!

There needs to be a third part,

If you CAN'T understand -- NO EXPLANATION WILL REGISTER

This I think is the proper version in this case.

The job losses that I am aware of are in the areas where services have been combined. One area that is currently being combined is entertainment. NCL entertainers are gradually phasing onto Oceania and Regent ships as the contracts end with their entertainment group.

Oh Dear. Does this bode well for the currently highly regarded NCL entertainment? Or will that be the next thing FDR places his "stamp" on?

I agree. If that was a problem, why not ask passengers to leave dishes inside the room? Assuming people embrace the new RS menu, there is the possibility that the number of RS trays in the hallway could grow in number. Since you can now get hot food from RS, people may eventually order more once the change is accepted.

I still think the no food outside of dining areas rule was put in place to force people to use RS. The way they have gone about implementing the new RS menu is totally off base. It's hard to imagine how they could have done it any worse. If they had left a few complementary items at each meal and charged only for bringing the new/hot items, people would have embraced the change and would have felt that it was a benefit. No need then for the no take out rule, which has so many people upset.

How would that force people to get room service? you would think it would make people want to go to the restaurants.

Oh Dear. Does this bode well for the currently highly regarded NCL entertainment? Or will that be the next thing FDR places his "stamp" on?

I actually think he's trying to improve their entertainment since NCL's is better.

Harriet

I actually think he's trying to improve their entertainment since NCL's is better.

Harriet

You are correct. Keep in mind that Oceania and Regent have small stages and cannot do the wonderful production numbers that can be done on NCL. This should give more opportunities for the NCL entertainers. This is being done slowly due to contracts in place with current entertainers. The first ship I am aware of that has entertainers from NCL is Oceania's Riviera - their newest ship. So far, rave reviews!

Harriet

I can't imagine why I am so cynical about this:rolleyes:. It must be the things that have happened over the past several weeks. We know what a positive impact the combining of the PR departments had on communication from NCL.

Yes, it is a great plus to Oceania and Regent cruisers, but how does the fact that "NCL Entertainers are gradually phasing over to Oceania and Regent ships as their contracts end" improve or maintain the entertainment ON NCL? Who does that leave NCL with, is the question that comes to my mind. Why should presumably the best NCL entertainers transfer to O or R?

It seems to me that if FDR had wanted to improve the entertainment at O and R, he could have done so long ago. They could have simply hired some great entertainers. Why the sudden need to do this with current NCL entertainers? Will they be replaced? This is not a good thing.

Yeah, everyone should cruise how they want. It's ludicrous for anyone on here to tell others on here how to enjoy their vacation.

Opinions, ideas, and information are great, and that's really what this forum is about. But, really, we shouldn't be telling each other that they are not doing it right. If you are having fun and enjoying yourself on your cruise, then you are doing it right (no matter what anyone on here says).

So true. We cruise usually in suites. We do not appreciate people calling us names on how we spend our money and time to maximize our enjoyment. We like the room we have to relax during the day in privacy. We believe people should have their own opinions. We first joined Cruise Critic to learn about the cruises we would want to book. We do not post much but we do read what everyone is posting.

Please respect each other in the future.

How would that force people to get room service? you would think it would make people want to go to the restaurants.

Now you see logic failure of the complaints - the Room Service fees doesn't increase demand for it; the fees kills the demand but makes restaurants look more attractive. Its NCL trick psychology to control food wastes / costs - notice the ' No trays' in the buffet and how much food they give in the MDR / O'sheenans'? Notice how they put out the food in the buffet, how they how in batches for the MDR and made-to-order in O'Sheenan's? Notice that in the specialty restaurants that a person has to go in hunger because its alot food for the extra cost? (Key Terms: Extra Cost that is passed on to the customer) Notice they made continental breakfast free til a certain time not for cleanliness purposes but for cost / waste reasons - you have to mark off or state how much of the item you want.

Basically, what Andy Stuart said was technically right - he just didn't want to state the other part which is diet controlling people via the restaurants to reduce costs / waste. That's all - Why people think room service fee is going to increase demand when it actually doesn't ? No clue.....

I've done some research on Premium and Luxury cruise lines (pros/cons of cruising with them). I know that Oceania is NOT known for their wide ranging choices of entertainment. If rotating contracts across the 3 lines helps Oceania (and Regent) to improve their entertainment options, I am all for it. I don't think this would have a negative on NCL as they have been ahead of the curve in introducing a wide range of entertainment options.

You are correct. Keep in mind that Oceania and Regent have small stages and cannot do the wonderful production numbers that can be done on NCL. This should give more opportunities for the NCL entertainers. This is being done slowly due to contracts in place with current entertainers. The first ship I am aware of that has entertainers from NCL is Oceania's Riviera - their newest ship. So far, rave reviews!

Thanks for your comment and glad to hear this! :)