USA Today article on new food policy - post your comments there!

TrinaLC

http://www.usatoday.com/story/cruiselog/2015/05/13/norwegian-cruise-food-ban/27034385/

What better way to share views on the new policy prohibiting food being taken back to rooms, and the new charge on room service!

So the new policy only applies to "full" plates of food. Cereal boxes and fruit can be taken back to our cabins. Hmmmm, what about a half bowl of fruit or a half plate of crackers and cheese, or a 7 8th's bowl of fruit....... And from what I've seen in the buffet some people's idea of a full plate of bacon is 25 slices. Will a plate of 24 be exempted? ;) I think this rule will be enforced just like how many cruise lines' rules about Formal Wear are enforced.;)

So the new policy only applies to "full" plates of food. Cereal boxes and fruit can be taken back to our cabins. Hmmmm, what about a half bowl of fruit or a half plate of crackers and cheese, or a 7 8th's bowl of fruit....... And from what I've seen in the buffet some people's idea of a full plate of bacon is 25 slices. Will a plate of 24 be exempted? ;) I think this rule will be enforced just like how many cruise lines' rules about Formal Wear are enforced.;)

:) I think you have hit exactly why companies have to communicate with canned, PR responses that are vague and inexact. Let's say they announce a specific policy that says you can take 22 slices of bacon back to your room:

20 people will say that's ridiculous, they are on vacation and unlimited bacon was part of their cruise contract and to change it now is a breech of contract

20 people will say they don't like bacon anyway so it doesn't matter to them.

5 people will say that it is not specific enough, because bacon comes in all sorts of lengths. What happens if a piece of bacon breaks while putting it on the plate. Is it one or two slices?

2 people will proclaim the "loophole" of declaring 44 slices of bacon as "broken slices" and therefore really only 22 slices.

25 people will decry why the company can't be more open and transparent and be more specific about broken slices of bacon.

(No offense intended toward anyone ... just trying to point out once a company gets itself into a row with their customers there is no winning).

Edited by fshagan

The best part of that article is the implication this is a food safety matter. The next correct temperature meal I get from NCL room service will be the first.

If cruise lines want to make changes, so be it. Do what you have to do and we all can decide whether it matters enough to change our decisions. But is it really necessary to insult our intelligence in the process?

Edited by Regguy

The more I think about this whole situation, the more I wonder if it isn't in some respect a result of a lawsuit from a cruiser who got Brought food back to their cabin, let it sit for three days, ate it, got sick and sued the company. Usually when I see a "dumb" policy change with a company its somehow related to litigation.

Then I think, nah, it's just corporate greed and wanting more people to pay for room service. Room service revenue is non-commissionable and probably exempt from taxes as well, hence more profit than if they just raised cruise fares $1-3 per passenger, per day. Oh wait, they've also raised base fares......

I honestly don't have an issue with a delivery charge for room service, though I do think $7.95 is a bit steep. $4-5 would have been more equitable. If I stay at any hotel I'm going to pay a delivery fee plus mandatory 18-20% gratuity plus taxes on top of the cost for the food (typically overpriced and subpar). Just be honest about why you are instituting this and roll it out over a period of time where passengers can make appropriate decisions based on the policy change.

If NCL had issued a statement that effective September 1st all room service orders, with exception of continental breakfast, would incur a $5 delivery fee, I think far fewer people would be so upset over this whole issue.

Edited by AtlantaCruiser72

The more I think about this whole situation, the more I wonder if it isn't in some respect a result of a lawsuit from a cruiser who got Brought food back to their cabin, let it sit for three days, ate it, got sick and sued the company. Usually when I see a "dumb" policy change with a company its somehow related to litigation.

Then I think, nah, it's just corporate greed and wanting more people to pay for room service. Room service revenue is non-commissionable and probably exempt from taxes as well, hence more profit than if they just raised cruise fares $1-3 per passenger, per day. Oh wait, they've also raised base fares......

I honestly don't have an issue with a delivery charge for room service, though I do think $7.95 is a bit steep. $4-5 would have been more equitable. If I stay at any hotel I'm going to pay a delivery fee plus mandatory 18-20% gratuity plus taxes on top of the cost for the food (typically overpriced and subpar). Just be honest about why you are instituting this and roll it out over a period of time where passengers can make appropriate decisions based on the policy change.

If NCL had issued a statement that effective September 1st all room service orders, with exception of continental breakfast, would incur a $5 delivery fee, I think far fewer people would be so upset over this whole issue.

One thing I can say with certainty is that this new charge has nothing to do with a law suit. Now that they are charging for room service they are even more liable as they have charged you a fee to deliver the food.....this new policy is all about money!

I see this as affecting their passengers who typically book the more expensive cabins - balcony and suite cruisers. I wouldn't think those in inside cabins would want to eat in their rooms. What a disappointment.

Edit to add: Never mind. Room Service is free for suite passengers. This only affects balcony passengers, really.

Edited by AlohaPride

:) I think you have hit exactly why companies have to communicate with canned, PR responses that are vague and inexact. Let's say they announce a specific policy that says you can take 22 slices of bacon back to your room:

20 people will say that's ridiculous, they are on vacation and unlimited bacon was part of their cruise contract and to change it now is a breech of contract

5 people will say that it is not specific enough, because bacon comes in all sorts of lengths. What happens if a piece of bacon breaks while putting it on the plate. Is it one or two slices?

2 people will proclaim the "loophole" of declaring 44 slices of bacon as "broken slices" and therefore really only 22 slices.

25 people will decry why the company can't be more open and transparent and be more specific about broken slices of bacon.

(No offense intended toward anyone ... just trying to point out once a company gets itself into a row with their customers there is no winning).

Very well written

excellent post, and now it is time for all of us to "get over it" and stop sweating the small stuff. Many of you can't remember the days when there were no buffets on ships period or very small ones. And no one would have thought about bringing a plate of food back to thier cabin.

Edited by newmexicoNita

This would never impact me since I don't bring plates of food back to my cabin. I just had to laugh at the reason NCL gave for the policy change. Food safety is not the factor but the room service fee that was enacted almost at the same time is the real reason. The article does mention the new room service fee but does not tie them together.

I just appreciate honesty.

:)

Edited by david_sobe

excellent post, and now it is time for all of us to "get over it" and stop sweating the small stuff. Many of you can't remember the days when there were no buffets on ships period or very small ones. And no one would have thought about bringing a plate of food back to thier cabin.

Maybe it's time for YOU to "get over it" and stop telling others what to think!

WHY DO YOU CARE that others don't like these new policies?!

Ever heard that "the squeaky wheel gets the grease" Nita? Sometimes it doesn't hurt to let your dissatisfaction be known. Everyone has the right to express their opinion, since it affects their wallets. This matter is still news to some that don't spend much time on the boards.

The press release makes NCL sound lame, as if they are grasping at "reasonable" reasons to make more juvenile rules that take away more of their guests choices.

Worried about a clean environment? Either have stewards pick up dirty dishes on a regular basis (yes I've seen them sit for much longer than the should in the same spot), or post that passengers will be charged for leaving dishes in the hallway.

Maybe it's time for YOU to "get over it" and stop telling others what to think!

WHY DO YOU CARE that others don't like these new policies?!

Aren't you telling us the same thing? You are telling us we can't post unless we agree to your thoughts?:eek:

Bravo, NCL! Great move.

Now, I will be able to enjoy my time by the pool, free from half-eaten hamburgers left to wither in the sun, ketchup and mustard stained napkins on top of deck chairs, dropped ice cream cones, crusty bacon bits on the ground and all other sorts of messes.

Listen, folks. If you liked taking food out of the buffet to enjoy elsewhere you should have not abused the privilege by living like slobs.

The rules have changed and if you have a hard time swallowing that (pun intended), look in the mirror. You brought change this upon yourself.

If you can't handle that, enjoy Carnival. I'm sure you will feel right at home.

Bravo, NCL! Great move.

Now, I will be able to enjoy my time by the pool, free from half-eaten hamburgers left to wither in the sun, ketchup and mustard stained napkins on top of deck chairs, dropped ice cream cones, crusty bacon bits on the ground and all other sorts of messes.

Listen, folks. If you liked taking food out of the buffet to enjoy elsewhere you should have not abused the privilege by living like slobs.

The rules have changed and if you have a hard time swallowing that (pun intended), look in the mirror. You brought change this upon yourself.

Don't get so excited! LOL

You ARE permitted to take food from the Buffet to the pool lounge chairs, tables, around the pool, etc.

Harriet

This article and this press release still do not seem to have how they exactly plan on enforcing this edict.

Am I missing it?

Are they planning to physically do something? Add some sort of fine? This seems unenforceable, especially at the buffet. That place is a zoo and with out door seating and all...

I understand the MDR and the specialty restaurants may not box up the food to go,

But what if I get up and walk out with plate in hand? Or put the food in my own to go containers. What are they really going to do?

I just don't see this working well for anyone, except those that ignore this silly rule.

One thing I can say with certainty is that this new charge has nothing to do with a law suit. Now that they are charging for room service they are even more liable as they have charged you a fee to deliver the food.....this new policy is all about money!

Finally. Somebody who KNOWS what's happening.

Are you Mr. Del Rio? Mr. Stuart?

Unless you're a senior executive with NCL, then it's only your speculation that it's about money.

Just like everyone else here.

100% agreed!

I'll take 1 item off the plate so that it's not full. LOL :D

Bravo, NCL! Great move.

If food scraps bothered me that much, I would either ask a crewmember to clean it up or I would do it myself.

That makes more sense than going to another cruise line and possibly encountering the same situation there.

Keep in mind, the other cruise lines haven't implemented this ridiculous policy.

no longer free style. Its now rule style. I go have breakfast at the buffet. My wife likes breakfast in bed. What I would do in the past is bring her back a plate with eggs bacon and toast. Now I have to order it and be there. I too believe its a money issue.

They have a grill by the pool on most NCL ships and its always has been plates by the pool.

This would never impact me since I don't bring plates of food back to my cabin. I just had to laugh at the reason NCL gave for the policy change. Food safety is not the factor but the room service fee that was enacted almost at the same time is the real reason. The article does mention the new room service fee but does not tie them together.

I just appreciate honesty.

:)

Actually, I do think that food safety IS an issue with food places such as the Sushi bar and the Raw Bar onboard. Those food items must be eaten within 24 hours of preparation IF they are kept refrigerated at the right temperature. Outside of the refrigerator, they should be consumed usually within an hour at most. But from what I understand about the drink refrigerators in the cabin, they might not be cold enough to even store sushi for 24 hours. What if someone took sushi or raw fish to their cabin and didn't refrigerate it or put it out on their balcony and ate it over 1 hour after getting it? What if they put it in the refrigerator but didn't eat it for several days? They would get extremely sick with food poisoning in both cases. So, I'm not really doubting that NCL DOES have concern about food safety.

LOL at a news article in USA Today being equal to "going viral". LOL

USA Today circulation: 4 million. Assume some % won't even read the article.

Psy's Gangham Style video: 2 BILLION, 334 Million views.

Or approximately 583 x the coverage in USA Today.

THAT's going viral.