Toiletries

I will be sailing on Serenade of the Seas this summer. It will be my first Royal Caribbean cruise. What toiletries, if any, are provided in the cabins? I imagine it will be just like a hotel room which usually provides shampoo, conditioner, soap and lotion. But I just want to make sure. Also do they restock these items throughout the cruise?

Oh and are there blow dryers in the cabin?

Thanks! Your answers will assist me with my packing. :)

Bring your own! I've heard that the toiletries provided with RCI are anything but nice, same with the hairdryer, they say to bring your own as well :)

UGH! Really??? That may mean one less pair of shoes in my suitcase if I have to bring the darned hair dryer! ;)

The lotion in the dispenser in the shower is a multi-purpose gel. For most men, it will serve as a soap and shampoo. For most women, it will not be sufficient. Most women will want to bring their own. The hair dryer is not super powerful but DW finds that it is sufficient and she does not bring her own.

No matter what cruise line or hotel, I always take my own toiletries. Same with the blow dryer. If the provided dryer turns out OK, then I leave mine packed into the stowed carry on. If it is less than adequate (and this has happened numerous times) I have mine. More often than not, the dryers auto shut down on me mid-way and I only take about 10-15 minutes to dry my hair.

RCI usually has fairly decent dryers, I cruised Princess and found theirs to be useless. I'm one of the few who actually likes the kind you have to hold the button down, but I style in sections. I have to continually lay the dryer down to use 2 hands to comb up the next section. I don't just blow air at my head :)

If you happen to be in a Junior Suite (or higher, I presume), you do get upgraded toiletries. This is what we had in our Serenade JS in December:

cca6167d.jpg

I am not picky about my shampoo and conditioner, but I do bring my own when not in a JS. I also bring my own hairdryer and straightener, for aforementioned reasons!

If you happen to be in a Junior Suite (or higher, I presume), you do get upgraded toiletries. This is what we had in our Serenade JS in December:

cca6167d.jpg

I am not picky about my shampoo and conditioner, but I do bring my own when not in a JS. I also bring my own hairdryer and straightener, for aforementioned reasons!

Interesting.........as of the last years plus cruises that we have had.......in full suites, Royal Caribbean supplies us with Gilchrist & Soames products........something that we also use at home.

What you see in the photo above........is something that should be available to anyone in any cabin, below a full suite.

However.........now that I think about it.......this product may be limited to the Junior suites. Not positive, and would love to have some feedback about what ammenities have been available to different tier levels. It might be that D and D+ get these goodies!

Rick

Since most of our cruises are for a week and in the Caribbean, I have a hard time freaking out about how my hair reacts to the shampoo provided. If my hair isn't perfect, so what, I'm not going for a job interview. If you have thick, coarse hair then I would suggest bringing your own blow dryer as the one provided is a light weight version. Okay for my thin fine hair but it would take way too long to dry and style thick, coarse, long hair.

I will be sailing on Serenade of the Seas this summer. It will be my first Royal Caribbean cruise. What toiletries, if any, are provided in the cabins? I imagine it will be just like a hotel room which usually provides shampoo, conditioner, soap and lotion. But I just want to make sure. Also do they restock these items throughout the cruise?

Oh and are there blow dryers in the cabin?

Thanks! Your answers will assist me with my packing. :)

Individual toiletries like you describe are generally only available in Junior Suites and higher. All other cabins have bar soap, and a liquid dispenser in the shower. Sometimes it's labeled "shampoo" and sometimes it's labeled "shampoo/conditioner." People say it can also serve as shower gel. Even if it is indeed a shampoo/conditioner combo, most women will find it really doesn't serve as conditioner, especially if you have long or color-treated hair. I'm not that picky about shampoo, but if I didn't bring my own conditioner (if not in a JS) I would never be able to get a comb through my hair after using just the mystery gel.

There are hair dryers in each cabin, but they are not as high powered as most people seem to be used to at home. They work, but it does take a little longer to get your hair dry.

Individual toiletries like you describe are generally only available in Junior Suites and higher. All other cabins have bar soap, and a liquid dispenser in the shower. Sometimes it's labeled "shampoo" and sometimes it's labeled "shampoo/conditioner." People say it can also serve as shower gel. Even if it is indeed a shampoo/conditioner combo, most women will find it really doesn't serve as conditioner, especially if you have long or color-treated hair. I'm not that picky about shampoo, but if I didn't bring my own conditioner (if not in a JS) I would never be able to get a comb through my hair after using just the mystery gel.

There are hair dryers in each cabin, but they are not as high powered as most people seem to be used to at home. They work, but it does take a little longer to get your hair dry.

I'm about to take my first RCI cruise. I have to say I'm surprised to find that

all cabins are not supplied with at least separate shampoo and conditioner -- versus the "mystery gel." Even cheap hotels do that. Lacks class. I hear they also do not supply robes for first time cruisers. Guess I should be glad I don't have to bring my own towels.:rolleyes:

UGH! Really??? That may mean one less pair of shoes in my suitcase if I have to bring the darned hair dryer! ;)

Lol! I sympathize with you.

I think I'll just use the ship's weak blowdryer so I won't have to sacrifice a pair of shoes. But I will bring my own toiletries, and forego the mystery gel. Thanks everyone for your help!

I was told that they supply the shampoo/conditioner because most women bring their own, we have had the Gilcrist Soames bottles a few times.

They also did away with the chocolates on pillow as 95% of them ended up in the trash can so they keep tabs on everything!

Stick the "nose" of your blowdryer into a pair of hubby's shoes ....or yours, for that matter! That way, it only takes up a bit of space! The provided hair dryers are those "snub-nosed" hotel-style dryers.....they simply don't BLOW like they're supposed to!

Interesting.........as of the last years plus cruises that we have had.......in full suites, Royal Caribbean supplies us with Gilchrist & Soames products........something that we also use at home.

What you see in the photo above........is something that should be available to anyone in any cabin, below a full suite.

However.........now that I think about it.......this product may be limited to the Junior suites. Not positive, and would love to have some feedback about what ammenities have been available to different tier levels. It might be that D and D+ get these goodies!

Rick

The last time I sailed in less than a JS we did not have any toiletries other than the bar soap & "mystery" jel in the shower dispenser...I was Diamond at the time & when I asked the cabin steward was told only JS or higher get the "good" stuff...guess he felt sorry for me cause later on he did bring me some lotion, shampoo & shower jel..

I am now D+ and will be in an outside in August..planning to just bring my own stuff from home...

cca6167d.jpg

I'm in a D1 ocean-view balcony on Oasis right now, and we have these toiletries!

Lol! I sympathize with you.

I think I'll just use the ship's weak blowdryer so I won't have to sacrifice a pair of shoes. But I will bring my own toiletries, and forego the mystery gel. Thanks everyone for your help!

I have found the ship's hairdryer quite up to the task, and would never take my own. No worries there.

I use small bottles of shampoo and such that I carry with me. It's no big deal to take your own lotions and shampoos. If you use 'em up, just throw out the bottles.

I'm in a D1 ocean-view balcony on Oasis right now, and we have these toiletries!

Oasis has been doing a lot of little things differently from the other ships. This, and EVERYONE still gets chocolates on the pillow at night!

The last time I sailed in less than a JS we did not have any toiletries other than the bar soap & "mystery" jel in the shower dispenser...I was Diamond at the time & when I asked the cabin steward was told only JS or higher get the "good" stuff...guess he felt sorry for me cause later on he did bring me some lotion, shampoo & shower jel..

I am now D+ and will be in an outside in August..planning to just bring my own stuff from home...

I have found that if the toiletries are not in our cabin (I may not use them but my son is not so picky ;)) when we arrive, after we ask, the steward brings them without hesitation and re-stocks whenever needed.

I have found that if the toiletries are not in our cabin (I may not use them but my son is not so picky ;)) when we arrive, after we ask, the steward brings them without hesitation and re-stocks whenever needed.

I think you are a Diamond Plus and the cruise line may supply better personal products to that level of the C&A program. Could that be an undocumented perk?

On our first few RCCL cruises I took my shampoo and conditioner. I used the "mystery pooditioner" a couple of times and it wasn't so bad. I don't take my own any more. I can put up with pooditioner for a week. As far as the hair dryer goes, I have thin hair and it doesn't take mine long to dry so I use the one supplied. The only thing that I don't like is that you have to hold the button down for it to operate. If you have to use it for very long it might get tiring on the thumb. Again, I have no problem with it and don't carry my own anymore.

Good to know...I don't care so much about the shampoo..but I always seem to forget lotion for some reason and when I am out on deck or in salt water a lot I really do need it...

Archived