No Red Frog Pub on Horizon

LJN22

If it's not there, I see a whole lot of fired up threads in our future. :o Personally, I'd like to see them do different things on more ships. Even those in the same class. We sailed Conquest last year and are currently booked for Glory. I can't say that I'm into the whole "cookie cutter" nature of many ship amenities. Except for Guy's Burgers, put those babies on every ship. :D

Regardless of all the talk and opinion and conjecture, that ship is due to sail it just over 6 months. Why the hell can't Carnival come forward and say definitively, yes, there will be a RFP, or no, there won't be, but here's what there will be instead. Ridiculous to be so secretive or not forthcoming with what the ship will have. Really poor on their part.
Poor? I don't think so. It's marketing. Building anticipation leading up to "the big reveal!" What's wrong with leaving some things to be a surprise for customers? Companies love to open the curtain and show off their new toys. Oooh! Ahhh! :)

Personally, I'd like to see them do different things on more ships. Even those in the same class.

Me too... maybe something different than just more bars. Just dreaming. I know THAT isn't going to happen. :D On second thought, a non-alcohol bar, that designs smoothies and other fruit based concoctions (a la "Alchemy") would interest me... probably not a lot of other folks though. :(

He supplements his living by cruising. He sells overpriced excursions. My rough math has him pocketing thousands per cruise. It's a great gig until one of his excursion misses the ship or is involved in some misfortune. Then I have to wonder who is going to be responsible for cleaning up.

He truly is a one armed bandit.

I wonder if they are not making a deal to sell branding for the space and the advertiser is not read to reveal their sponsorship. (pun intended)

Interesting, I assume you mean it will still be a RFB but be sponsored by some company?

Sent from my iPad using Forums

The only time I spent in the RFP on Vista was for the brewery tour. If there's anything going on in there, it gets so incredibly loud that my brain hurts. I'm a fan of beer but tend not to drink much while cruising simply because I consume so many calories with the food available. Beer's just too filling.

I honestly don't understand why people get so worked up about this sort of thing, though. I personally wouldn't mind if every single ship was different. What's the point in sailing on different ships if they're all basically clones?

And this obsession with obsessing about everything before it happens. Are people not going to book Horizon if there's no RFP? Really?

I'm just happy that there's draft beer available. As long as I can get a Thirsty Frog when I board (that's my Official start-of-my-cruise drink), I'll be happy.

Me too... maybe something different than just more bars. Just dreaming. I know THAT isn't going to happen. :D On second thought, a non-alcohol bar, that designs smoothies and other fruit based concoctions (a la "Alchemy") would interest me... probably not a lot of other folks though. :(

For years I've been wondering how Carnival hasn't created a smoothie/juice bar. It seems like such sn obvious move and it would fit in perfectly in Sports Square. I love cocktails as much as the next person but how many places do you need selling the exact same things??

I thought it might happen with Vista alongside the new salad place in Serenity, but nope.

We're not big drinkers, just some social drinking now and again with friends or family. I did enough drinking in my younger years to last me. :p So the bars ain't for us. Your smoothie bar isn't a bad idea. I'm not into fruit smoothies myself, but I think a lot of people are. It could end up one of those "If you build it, they will come" kind of things. They can test it out on a very small scale to see how it goes over, even if it were just a little kiosk. Can you currently get a smoothie (not a frozen daiquiri) in any of the bars? If so, they would have the stats to see how popular they are (or aren't) and may already know serving them from an existing bar will suffice.

When we first started looking into cruises, we knew nothing of it prior to that and I just assumed that the ships were different. Different amenities & entertainment. I thought the lure of trying different ships with different on board activities and such was what attracted people back. It wasn't until after doing a little more research and looking at the other ships that I realized just how "cookie cutter" they actually are. I'm guessing that's a cost management technique for cruise lines :confused: and yeah, there are some variations between ships, but it was still a bit surprising to me.

If you could point us to wwhere one of those videos where John said that it would be appreciated

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

It was on his Facebook page. It was either a video or an answer on his visitors posts, I honestly don't remember. He's said it or responded more than once. So if you get bored you can look through all of that.

It was on his Facebook page. It was either a video or an answer on his visitors posts, I honestly don't remember. He's said it or responded more than once. So if you get bored you can look through all of that.

LOL, no....I will wait. He did mention that he was asked about the new and exciting things on the Horizon and that news would be coming "in the time ahead".

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We're not big drinkers, just some social drinking now and again with friends or family. I did enough drinking in my younger years to last me. :p So the bars ain't for us. Your smoothie bar isn't a bad idea. I'm not into fruit smoothies myself, but I think a lot of people are. It could end up one of those "If you build it, they will come" kind of things. They can test it out on a very small scale to see how it goes over, even if it were just a little kiosk. Can you currently get a smoothie (not a frozen daiquiri) in any of the bars? If so, they would have the stats to see how popular they are (or aren't) and may already know serving them from an existing bar will suffice. So we are both in the minority among cruisers not being all that interested in drinking.

When we first started looking into cruises, we knew nothing of it prior to that and I just assumed that the ships were different. Different amenities & entertainment. I thought the lure of trying different ships with different on board activities and such was what attracted people back. It wasn't until after doing a little more research and looking at the other ships that I realized just how "cookie cutter" they actually are. I'm guessing that's a cost management technique for cruise lines :confused: and yeah, there are some variations between ships, but it was still a bit surprising to me.

So we are both in the minority among cruisers not being all that interested in drinking it seems. The smoothie bar idea was just the first thing that popped into my head as an alternative to RFP. There are probably other options that would appeal to a greater number of people. Most anything new that would be appealing to non-drinkers and light drinkers would be welcomed by me. I WOULD enjoy a designated bar where one can get smoothies and/or real fruit juices though. As for getting a fruit smoothie from one of the regular bars, I don't know. But I imagine it would carry the same price tag as a mixed drink, so I've never checked into it. I guess I should ask next cruise. Nothing ventured, nothing gained. Thanks for your response.

Regardless of all the talk and opinion and conjecture, that ship is due to sail it just over 6 months. Why the hell can't Carnival come forward and say definitively, yes, there will be a RFP, or no, there won't be, but here's what there will be instead. Ridiculous to be so secretive or not forthcoming with what the ship will have. Really poor on their part.

I mean, they're designing a ship for pleasure cruises, not a floating U.S. naval harbor that's going to be supporting the next D-Day.

Funny how time changes things. All of the Spirit class ships launched with a "Juice Bar" pool side that did fresh squeezed juices and fruit smoothies. They didn't get alot of traffic or sales. Have they announced the Hibachi restaurant yet on Horizon?

Funny how time changes things. All of the Spirit class ships launched with a "Juice Bar" pool side that did fresh squeezed juices and fruit smoothies. They didn't get alot of traffic or sales. Have they announced the Hibachi restaurant yet on Horizon?
I guess most cruisers aren't interested in a drink that doesn't alter their state of consciousness. Me, I like my state of consciousness just fine. :D Had I been on a Spirit class ship during that time, I would have kept them in business all by myself.;)

So we are both in the minority among cruisers not being all that interested in drinking it seems. The smoothie bar idea was just the first thing that popped into my head as an alternative to RFP. There are probably other options that would appeal to a greater number of people. Most anything new that would be appealing to non-drinkers and light drinkers would be welcomed by me. I WOULD enjoy a designated bar where one can get smoothies and/or real fruit juices though. As for getting a fruit smoothie from one of the regular bars, I don't know. But I imagine it would carry the same price tag as a mixed drink, so I've never checked into it. I guess I should ask next cruise. Nothing ventured, nothing gained. Thanks for your response.

I enjoy a "mango madness" non alcoholic drink, usually at the comedy club or the seaday brunch. It's not a smoothie, and it probably has more sugar than fruit juice, but it can be ordered at any bar or gathering like the past guest party.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
Last week I had the opportunity to ask some management types and got it confirmed that the Horizon will def NOT have a RFP. Better use of space is what I was told....:(

Well, it seems that has been a forgone conclusion, but thanks for the confirmation. But I think what’s been most annoying is “rumors” particularly those by the brand ambassador, are suggesting “something new and exciting” will be in that “better use of space”......but Carnival will not come forth with details.

We’ve had to cancel the Horizon TA for next May, so my care meter has dropped to about zero, but my curiosity meter is still at about 50%.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk