Sun drink taxes

sarclar

I was wondering the same thing for my Alaskan cruise and asked on the NCL web site I tried to post the chat I had but it would not let me paste it. I told them I paid the have the adult beverage package promo and paid the 18% gratuity and service charge up front and asked if I would have to pay a tax if I ordered drinks in ports like Juneau and Skagway and she said I don't have to pay an additional tax . I have read contrary statements on here so I don't really know what to expect

c22ec317-b648-4b6c-bab4-aa2e3449390a

Edited by iKarenE

Do they charge taxes on drinks while the ship is in Vancouver or any of the Alaska ports? I know Alaska does not have a state sales tax.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Forums mobile app

Yes in Vancouver (both the 'state' and federal taxes for a total of 15% on drinks ordered in-port and while within Canadian exclusive territorial waters). For drink packages you won't get billed because it's prepaid (so the drink has not been sold locally, even if it is supplied locally) and we eventually figured out that the reason some drinks were taxed and others not was down to when the entry was made in the ship's system - so waiters using paper pads for orders that were punched in at the end of their shift had zero tax if the ship was out at sea, whereas drinks we ordered later in the day that were entered immediately DID get taxed!

So there's a grey area in practical terms whether you get charged or not - and if you bought your booze package as you embarked, before getting out to sea, in theory you could be billed our GST/PST on the whole thing! Best to play it safe, prepay for a booze package if you want one, or even better wait until day 2 (at sea) so you actually get a full day's drinking in for each day of the package...

• 4 months later...

How far in advance do you need to know this? How much preparing do you need to do? I mean, we are talking about a grand total of less than $10 if they do, and that's if you drink several drinks. I'll never understand why people are so concerned about this.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

How far in advance do you need to know this? How much preparing do you need to do? I mean, we are talking about a grand total of less than $10 if they do, and that's if you drink several drinks. I'll never understand why people are so concerned about this.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Good point.

And, if you did not have the package, you would be paying tax as well. If you want something to worry about, just turn on the news - LOL! LOL!

We just got off the Pearl. We had the drink package and paid 60 cents tax for 2 Diet Pepsi's while we were still docked in Seattle and paid around $1.32 for two Bahama Mamas while in Canidian waters heading to Victoria BC on the last day.

Don