Just Off Ecstasy August 19-25th - Review

Boston Mom

This review is going to be done in installments because I don't know how long I am going to be awake tonight, after yesterday's 18 hour drive back to Boston from Charleston. Here are my impressions of the cruise - and feel free to ask any questions, I will try to answer them if it's something I know.

OVERVIEW OF OPINION: This was our first time cruising Carnival (we have done several RC cruises over the past few years) and our first time cruising with our 3 teen children. We did hit what I would describe as a couple of minor "glitches" on our trip, but overall we all had a wonderful time and I would definitely cruise Carnival again, and would recommend the Ecstasy to anyone wanting a fun Bahamas cruise. I have to say that of all the ships we have sailed on, the Ecstasy overall had the best crew. Everywhere we went we saw workers cleaning, cleaning, cleaning, and they genuinely seemed to want their guests to have a good time. Not all of the bells and whistles of some of the RC cruises we have done, or what I imagine some of the newer and larger ships would have, but I would sail her again just for the crew members that we met that made our vacation more fun.

OUR BOOKING: We booked our vacation through a travel agent back in January 2017, rather than directly through Carnival. We got what I thought was a good deal, as the travel agency gave us a couple of good incentives, in the form of a gift card (which we promptly got from the travel agent), an early booking discount, and a cash on board credit. The "cash on board credit" was one of the few "glitches" that we experienced with Carnival. As our cruise approached I still couldn't see the credit showing up on our Carnival account. I called the travel agent, who told me that they did electronically send the credit over to Carnival weeks beforehand, and they gave me a transaction number. I called Carnival to verify it, and after talking to five different people and being bounced around, I was finally told that I should be talking to someone in the Fun Shop, as they handle travel agency account credits. I was transferred to person #6, who was someone named Ron in the Fun Shop. I would definitely say that Ron was most unpleasant, verging on being downright mean to me. The credit wasn't a small amount - it was an amount that would be significant for us to lose when paying for the cruise and an extended stay in Charleston for our family of five - and the whole attitude was "I don't know and I don't care and just go to Guest Services when you get on board". That was my first dealing with Carnival and it was a very unpleasant one. Luckily no Ron or anyone like him on the ship - the couple of times that we dealt with Guest Services everyone was wonderful. Our travel agent called Carnival again for us, got someone higher up, and assured us that the cash on board credit would be reprocessed to be applied to our account and that the travel agency would make sure it happened. And it did - a stop at Guest Services on Day #2 verified that the money was properly there for our use.

CHARLESTON: We got to Charleston two days before our sailing to spend a couple of days exploring the city, and we were very glad we did. We spent two nights at the Hampton Inn Mount Pleasant Isle of Palms, which we got for free with Hilton loyalty points. Definitely pays off to sign up for those programs, and to use them each time you stay in a hotel. We got an oversized room for the five of us. The hotel was clean and comfortable, and allowed us to park in their adjacent side lot for the duration of our cruise. We were wiped out from our 16 hour drive on our first day, and we spent much of that first day lounging on the beach at Isle of Palms Community Park. Definitely one of the nicest beaches I have ever been to, which is saying a lot. We went to dinner in Mount Pleasant at a place that another Cruise Critic poster had recommended - Paige's Okra Grill over by Shem Creek. Dinner was great, and we walked around some shops in the area that night. On day #2 we explored historical Charleston - we took the morning boat over to Fort Sumter and did the ranger led tour there. In the afternoon we did a walking tour of the French Quarter. There were a lot of people around the city, probably because of it being a prime viewing location for the upcoming solar eclipse, and it was extremely hot such that the kids lost interest before we did and wanted to go back to the hotel pool and swim. We ended up getting pizzas delivered to the hotel pool (Dough Re Me Pizzeria - also recommended by a Cruise Critic poster and very good pizza) and walking around the outdoor shopping mall adjacent to our hotel. We loved our two extra days in Charleston and want to go back and see more of it when hopefully it isn't so crowded.

TRANSPORTATION TO PIER: We drove from Massachusetts and left our car at the Hampton Inn, choosing to Uber over to the port. The Uber was very easy - for five of us and 6 large bags in an oversized mini van it was $30 over to the pier. I would definitely do the Uber again, he dropped us off right at the luggage drop and the porters took it right out of the Uber for us. No lines, no waiting, no parking hassle. The transportation there was much easier than our transportation home. We were off the ship by 7:15 on Friday, and the nearest oversized Uber was 40 minutes away. We opted to take a taxi - a Prestige Limousine van which was sitting right at the luggage tent. Not wanting to wait 40 minutes for the Uber, we decided to just take the Limo van, which quoted us a rate of $50 over to our Mount Pleasant hotel. When we got into the taxi and got onto the bridge the driver told us he had no idea where the hotel was, and he didn't have any sort of GPS in the taxi. Ugh. I had to pull up Waze on my phone and move up front to navigate the guy - who then asked for more money when we finally got to the hotel, as he said it was "further than he thought it was" when he quoted us $50. We ended up giving him $60 just to be done with it - lesson learned about making sure the driver knows exactly where the final destination is before getting into a cab - this is something we have never run into before in the many cities where we have taken cabs around.

EMBARKATION PROCESS: I have read nightmare stories on here about the Port of Charleston, but I have to say that for us the embarkation process ran as smoothly as it possibly could have gone. We didn't have to park, having been dropped off right at the luggage area in our Uber, and we were able to easily walk from that area over to the embarkation area with our small carry ons rather than waiting for the shuttle. We had purchased FTTF after having originally selected a 12:30 time slot (which was the earliest we could get). Our Uber dropped us off at the luggage tent at 10:30, and by 11 we were already on board. There was only one other group ahead of us in the priority line, and the agent we got was lightening quick and very pleasant. Our room was ready as soon as we got there, and we immediately dropped off our carry ons and started exploring the ship.

More to follow.......

I leave for Charleston Tuesday. Hope you feel like writing quickly! Can you just let us know what itinerary you had? We're going to Princess Cays and Freeport. Since the stop at Princess is new for Carnival, I haven't found any reports yet. Have read everything I could find from Princess cruisers, but wondering what differences there may be from Carnival.

I've sailed from Charleston several times. Loved dear, old Fantasy. Always felt like the Fantasy-class ships had great service and food. They just seem to run well and seem to have staff/crew that really care. The ships have been in service so long, they seem to have it down to a fine art.

Anyway, it's been 4 years since I've sailed from Charleston, and although I have over 50 nights total on various Fantasy-class ships, I haven't been on Ecstasy yet.

Love Charleston. Can't wait!

So glad you had a great cruise from Charleston and also got a chance to explore that great city! We have cruised several times over the years from this port as it is only a 3.5 hour drive for us and Charleston is one of our favorite go to cities for long weekends. When cruising we usually just go the night before and save the tourist stuff or eating at our fav restaurants for our long weekends.

We park right at port (do not want to deal with shuttles, taxi or uber) and have had good experiences doing so but have stayed at that same hotel a couple of times (if we wanted to be close to a beach but we live fairly close to the coast in NC so a beach hotel is not always a priority). Most times for a cruise we stay overnight in Summerville at a Marriott (Summerville is about a 20-25 minute drive to port early the next morning and a great place to stay (about $100 a night cheaper!)). So nice to have our car right there in lot when we leave the ship at end of cruise, load it up and off we go!

Here is the next installment:

STATEROOM: We had a deluxe ocean view room on the Empress deck (E211). When we first opened the door my first thought was, "OMG how are five of us going to stand being in that room together for six days?" After an experience we had with someone trying to break into our hotel room years ago, I guess I am now one of those paranoid mothers that want the kids in the same room with me for the night when we are traveling in an unfamiliar place. We had requested that the room be set up with double bunks utilizing the two top pull outs, and that a roll away bed be brought in for my older son each night. But when we got there it was set up with a king bed right in the middle of the room, with one opposite bunk pulled down, creating lots of wasted space beneath and leaving absolutely nowhere to walk inside the cabin. Literally there was no room for the five of us to stand inside the room, much less put in any luggage, carry ons, etc. It was so unpleasantly crowded that my husband and two boys went for a walk, and my daughter and I stayed in the stateroom to hopefully meet up with our room steward and get the bed situation fixed. Our steward, Yoyok, stopped by after about an hour. This encounter was one of the only service "glitches" that we encountered with any crew on board. I said (very nicely I thought) that there were going to be 5 of us in the stateroom and that we needed it set up as twin bunks with a rollaway. I gave him a sketch of how we wanted the room set up - and was kind of shocked when he kind of argued with me and said I had requested a king bed. Ummmm no, I had my Carnival documents right in hand which showed the request for twin bunks with rollaway - and in an industry that is 100% service based, IMO generally a better idea to just do what the customer wants if it is possible to do so, rather than argue with the customer. I insisted on the set up we wanted and he agreed to come back and do it. It wasn't fixed until about 9 pm - and for the duration of the cruise he never took away the rollaway and we had to maneuver around it - but at least we all had a bed and could walk around the middle of the room. He also asked me in that first encounter whether we wanted the room cleaned once or twice a day - and seemed to be steering me toward wanting it only once. To me if you are going to give the customer a choice between 1x or 2x, and the 2x is an option, then that is what you are going to do if the customer wants the 2x. We are generally pretty tidy ourselves and don't really need a full 2x service, so we asked that the room be cleaned 1x, in the morning, and that he come by with fresh towels every evening but not do a full clean at night. He was great about the morning cleaning, with the bathroom being really well scrubbed every morning, and we did get our fresh towels every night. The only conversation I ever had with our room steward was that first morning. My kids were a little disappointed as we didn't get the towel animals every day as most other cruisers did. But overall I would say that he was fine.

One thing that did impress me about the room itself was the amount of storage we had. There were 3 fairly spacious cupboards, one of which accommodated long hanging clothing and the other of which fit shorter hanging clothing and had room for folded clothing underneath. There was also a set of drawers under the desk, and two end table things. We packed fairly lightly and did have enough room for clothing for 5 people without being overly crowded. The bathroom was really tiny but we did fine with 5 of us using it. We brought along a hanging shoe organizer for the back of the door and were glad we did as there was only a very tiny shelf over the sink (basically just room for toothbrushes and toothpaste) and absolutely no shelving or anything else in the shower area itself. There was no hair dryer, so be sure to bring one. The one thing I wish I had brought and didn't was some other sort of hooks to hang wet bathing suits, as there was nowhere to dry them other than a tiny pull out clothes hanger in the shower area that only held two suits.

Next installment:

GUY'S BURGERS: I got Guy's Burgers twice - our first day and our last day - and enjoyed my burgers both times. The lines were fairly long but moved quickly, and the guys behind the counter were super pleasant and accommodating. Both times I had plain cheeseburgers and fries, and got toppings from the adjacent toppings bar which was always kept clean and well stocked. I thought the meat was of good quality and each time my burger tasted freshly cooked and was piping hot. They maybe could have been a little dry though, if eaten plain without toppings and condiments. My two boys were real fans of the burgers.

BLUE IGUANA: I got food from Blue Iguana once, and my kids did so a couple of additional times. We found the food fresh and tasty, although the signage was a little confusing. I wanted a taco salad and got in the line that said "Tacos Aqui" - there are separate lines for tacos and burritos - and when I got to the front of the line and wanted a taco salad bowl I was told that taco salads are only available in the burrito line. Huh???? I would have been kind of annoyed if I had to stand in a whole other line but the taco line guy told me to stand to the side front of the burrito line and I was able to get my taco salad fairly quickly by doing that. Apparently it happens a lot - a better sign or moving the taco salads over to the taco line would seem to fix the problem but for me all was well that ended well. The taco salad was really yummy and made to order. My kids absolutely loved the chicken tacos.

PIZZERIA: I never had the pizza personally but all three of my kids literally could not get enough of it. My husband, who is Italian and a bit of a pizza snob, liked it as well. It was piping hot, available 24/7, and they said flavorful without being greasy. It was a big hit.

LIDO BUFFET: We only ate there for breakfast on our port mornings, and ran in for yogurt cones and desserts from the pool a couple of times, so I can't speak as to the lunch and dinner entrees. But the breakfast was for the most part good - I really liked the availability of a lot of fresh fruits and yogurts so we could eat as healthy as possible on our cruise. I didn't try the eggs at all as I am generally not a fan of buffet scrambled eggs, but my kids did try them and pronounced them to be "okay". I did try the french toast and really enjoyed it, and also enjoyed the bacon (one day I thought the bacon was all a little undercooked so I skipped it and just had fresh fruit with my french toast). I never looked at the lunch and dinner entrees but I did check out the salad bar and was impressed by how clean and well stocked it was. We did enjoy the frozen yogurt and soft serve ice cream area although I was little grossed out by what a mess our fellow passengers made of this area - watch your kids people!!!! Same thing for the mess that some people seemed to make of their tables, and I commend the buffet staff for their considerable efforts to clear tables quickly and efficiently and to keep the whole area clean. I get it that people are on vacation and don't want to clear dishes - I didn't want to either - but so many people just let their kids spill all over the place and left dirty dishes everywhere when it would have taken 30 seconds to contain the spills and to stack the dirty dishes all in one place on the table. Kudos to the buffet room staff for dealing with the mess.

DELI: We went to the buffet deli once (turkey sandwich, reuben, and grilled cheese sandwich) and everything was cooked fresh and to order with a line that moved quickly.

SEA DAY BRUNCH: We went to the brunch on both sea days, and the experience was completely different each time.

On the first day we waited about 10 minutes for our table, and when we were seated the food and experience were completely flawless. I was impressed by the variety of foods on the menu; we were there early and decided to all have breakfast entrees. We were immediately offered coffee and juice, and were served nice banana bread and danish from a bread basket. Two of us had omelets (piping hot and cooked just as ordered) and the other three had pancakes with sides of bacon. Our waiter was very attentive and kept refilling coffee cups, water glasses, and juice. We did not have dessert as we were all too full from our breakfast; we left very full and satisfied.

The second day could be summed out with "Where in the heck is our waiter???" We were seated right away and then sat there for 15 minutes before anyone approached our table with coffee and water. Juice was never offered - we asked a couple of times and finally someone came over with orange juice. Neither coffee, juice, or water was ever refilled for the duration of our brunch even though we did ask for refills. We had the same breakfast entrees as our first day - two omelets, three pancakes. When the food finally came it was fine but we waited for 40 minutes between placing our order and the time it finally came. We had ordered toast with the omelets but that never came, and our waiter never returned to check on us so we never got the toast. When we finished eating nobody ever came back to see if we wanted dessert, so we just got up and left. I don't know if out waiter left for some reason and nobody else ever took over, but the service was a real disappointment after the excellent meal and service the first brunch day.

More to follow.....

Next Installment:

MAIN DINING ROOM: We ate in the main dining room every night of our 6 night cruise. We had the late (8:15 seating) in the Wind Song dining room. (Both of the assigned seating times are in the Wind Song, and the Any Time Dining is in the Wind Star. I liked the decor in the Wind Song better - in my opinion more "elegant" dining. My advice to anyone that has the late seating is to get there right for 8:15, not any earlier. It is a very tiny area outside the Wind Song, and they don't open the doors until precisely 8:15. The first day we got there at 8:05 as we weren't positive where we were supposed to be, and it was so crowded and people were literally pushing to get to the front of the pack. I didn't get why they needed to be up front as everyone had their table reservation anyway, and there is nothing whatsoever to be gained by getting there first. Just show up right at 8:15, patiently wait for the doors to clear, and you will get served the same as if you were the first one in.

We were given a table for 10 - and weirdly the other 5 diners assigned to our table never showed up once. We thought maybe they gave us a table alone for some reason, but later in the week our wait staff told us that it was supposed to be full table for 10. Fine with us either way.

Probably the thing that most favorably surprised me about our first Carnival cruise was the excellence of our wait staff. Our regular head waiter was out for most of the week (we heard that he was ill - so glad that they didn't have anyone that was sick serving our food) and we were assigned a substitute head water. Deena, Adrian, and Ikuit (sp?) made an absolutely fantastic team. They got each and every order right, kept the water glasses constantly refilled, were very knowledgeable about the menu, and were a pleasure to deal with on any level. One night my daughter wasn't feeling well and missed dinner - they all inquired about her absence and suggested that they could send her something to go, or that we could get toast from room service (which we ended up doing - room service was great that one time we used it). Another night my younger son was full from eating Guy's Burgers and pizza at the pool and didn't want to order an entree; they offered him half portions or the kids' menu if he wanted something small. They were thoroughly impressive on every level, and the dining room was impeccably clean at all times. I enjoyed each and every meal there, as did my husband and kids (who were initially reluctant to dress up for dinner).

MDR Attire: I know that much has been posted about this on Cruise Critic, and am just sharing my observations on what I saw, not offering any opinions on what does or does not constitute "appropriate attire" in the MDR. I would say that the first night and the last night were the most casual, as some people did not have their luggage for the first night, and others had already packed up before the second night. I saw pretty much the whole gamut, from a couple that wore swimsuits to the MDR on a couple of occasions, to another couple where the lady wore a floor length gown and the man had on a tuxedo. Overall I would say that the most common outfit for the cruise casual nights were a sundress or dressy pants outfit for the women, and dressier khakis and polo shirts for the men. For the formal nights the most common outfit for women was a short cocktail type dress or shift dress, with the men mostly in dress pants with button down shirts and a tie. I didn't see many long dresses on the women or jackets on the men, although my husband did wear a jacket. I didn't see anyone turned away from the MDR, which sort of surprised me as there were a few people in jean shorts and graphic print T shirts even on formal night. I guess at Carnival anything goes. We were supposed to have two formal nights on our cruise but on what was supposed to be our second formal night there was a misprint in the Fun Times and it said cruise casual dress. I would say that about half went with the formal dress and the other half did cruise casual.

As for the food, overall I thought the MDR food was of very good quality, attractively presented and served at the temperture it should be served at, which is quite impressive considering how many people the kitchen is feeding on any given night. The portions were for me just right to have one appetizer, one entree, and one dessert, although I was struggling to finish on a couple of nights and had to have my teenage boys with their big appetites help me out. The wait staff was very accommodating about ordering half portions, or double portions, or mixing two entrees together. We enjoyed each and every appetizer and dessert that we had, and the entrees for the most part. I will try to summarize what we ate and what we liked for each course.

APPETIZERS

Romaine caesar salad - I love a good caesar salad and we had these most nights. The lettuce was really fresh and crisp, and I liked the dressing and the fresh ground cheese on top.

Shrimp cocktail - I think my younger son had this literally every night. It is a small portion - a couple of times he ordered double - but the shrimp was fresh tasting and had no fishy odor to it whatsoever.

Baked French onion soup - piping hot and full of onions and cheese. Yum

Conch fritters - very small portion - only one fritter - but it was full of conch meat and I liked the dipping sauce it came with.

Spaghetti carbonara - technially an entree but I got it for my appetizer one night and it was delicious.

Barbecue chicken flatbread - a big hit with my two boys, they wished it had been on the menu more than once.

Italian wedding soup - my husband really enjoyed it. Chock full of veggies and pasta and little meatballs.

Caprese salad - my husband really enjoyed it.

Four season salad - my daughter liked it but thought the romaine caesar was better.

ENTREE

Salmon filet - my favorite entree on the cruise - I actually ordered it three times and enjoyed it each time.

Fusilli with mushroom cream sauce - my husband's favorite meal, as well as my daughter's. Hot and creamy and loaded with mushrooms.

Pork chop - my two boys found the pork chops at the end of our cruise and ended up eating them the last two nights. Large chops, well seasoned, and they got a barbecue sauce with their pork chops that they said was so yummy.

Filet mignon - I was glad that our waiter took it upon himself to bring us two filets, as what would have been one filet was extremely small and would not have filled my husband at all. The meat was very tender, and we enjoyed the bernaise sauce that we ordered with it.

Riccotta ravioli - my husband and daughter enjoyed the ravioli and the red sauce, although my husband found the sauce a little bland and the portion kind of small.

Lobster tail - my boys were disappointed at how tiny the portion was and ended up splitting an order of chicken nuggets afterwards as they were both still hungry. If you get the lobster, consider having something else with it or having a larger appetizer. They also did not think it had a lot of taste.

Prime Rib - I was disappointed in this one, as the piece I got was quite fatty. I did see other prime rib plates going to other tables that were not such and think this just happened to be the piece I got.

Short ribs - the only true disappointment of anything we ordered. My husband and son both thought it tasted like "gross beef stew" and didn't eat it at all after the first bite.

DESSERTS

Chocolate melting cake - pure heaven. I ordered this four nights out of the six, and my family also had it most nights. It makes me hungry just thinking about it. A couple of nights I took the suggestion of other Cruise Critic posters and ordered it with a side of peanut butter. Amazing.

Vanilla creme brulee - almost as wonderful as the chocolate melting cake, and I wish they had had it on the menu more than once.

White chocolate banana bread pudding - I tried this one night and found both the pudding and custard sauce yummy.

Cherry pie with vanilla ice cream - they had a different pie every night. The cherry was the only one that my boys tried and they really enjoyed it.

FASTER TO THE FUN: I thought the $70 that we paid for FTTF was well worth it, at least for us. Embarkation was a breeze, with a priority line with only 1 group in front of us. Our room was ready the moment we got on the ship - and since there was a problem with the set up of our room I felt like the problem got addressed faster because we were able to get in the room earlier and speak up as to how we wanted the beds configured. It made a huge difference for us in Half Moon Cay, as we didn't have to get up super early to get a higher number for a tender over to the beach. We just went to Guest Services and were escorted to a waiting area to get onto the next tender over. Piece of cake. We did go to Guest Services twice and never had more than one person ahead of us in the priority line, whereas the regular line was both times kind of long. It helped us a little with debarkation too, although we chose to self disembark and the disembarkation process was kind of chaotic (I will write more about that later). I considered it money well spent but everyone has different priorities.

HALF MOON CAY: We were able to get on a tender quickly and easily since we had FTTF, although I did find the tender unpleasantly crowded - and was kind of surprised to be alongside some crew members that had seats, when some of the passengers - including a couple of older ladies - were standing. We didn't have seats either or I would have instantly given up my seat, as I was always raised to give up your seat for an elderly person or anyone that needs help. It was young male crew members that were taking up the seats - to me not the most customer focused decision and a little lacking in manners. Once we got to the beach it was absolutely beautiful. Crystal clear water, soft sand, plenty of comfortable lounge chairs, and clean rest rooms. If I had one suggestion to make it would be to have some chairs in the shade, as they all seemed to be right out in the hot sun with the only other options being to rent a cabana, or sit in the eating areas under the covered pavilions. I would suggest bringing your own pop up clam shell or canopy if you want shade, as there really wasn't any. I was very favorably impressed by the lunch buffet on the island. They had hamburgers, hot dogs, and jerk chicken, as well as a bunch of salads and other side dishes. We all had burgers and they were really good, as was the potato salad and garden salad that I tried. We easily got back over to the ship with no waiting; a lot of people went back early because it got very hot on the beach. We did not do any of the excursions on HMC, we just took it as an enjoyable beach day.

We had a deluxe ocean view room on the Empress deck (E211).

The bathroom was really tiny but we did fine with 5 of us using it. We brought along a hanging shoe organizer for the back of the door and were glad we did as there was only a very tiny shelf over the sink (basically just room for toothbrushes and toothpaste) and absolutely no shelving or anything else in the shower area itself.

You mentioned that you had a deluxe OV cabin (do the fantasy ships have that type of cabin?)? I do not see anything mentioned about the 2nd bathroom setup (junior bath with sink and tub)? Did you maybe have a regular OV cabin with the regular bath only(although for 5 people the deluxe OV would be ideal I think)? :confused:

Edited by Drazil65

[

You mentioned that you had a deluxe OV cabin (do the fantasy ships have that type of cabin?)? I do not see anything mentioned about the 2nd bathroom setup (junior bath with sink and tub)? Did you maybe have a regular OV cabin with the regular bath only(although for 5 people the deluxe OV would be ideal I think)? :confused:

/QUOTE]

No idea what else the ship does and does not have for bathroom set up in rooms other than what we had. I have my booking confirmation right here and for E211 it says "deluxe ocean view cabin" but we had only the one bathroom. And it was pretty small for the five of us. My husband and boys would usually shower quick and then go somewhere else so my daughter and I could get ready. If they did have a one and a half bath option they must have been all booked before we booked our room, or I would have gotten one of those.

Next installment:

NASSAU: We had booked an all inclusive resort day at Breezes through Bookatourcaribbean.com. Breezes was a great day and I would definitely consider going there again if we ever do another Nassau cruise port. I think we paid $80 each, with a $60 deposit for all five of us and the balance due when we got to the resort. We were able to walk right off the ship with no lines, no waiting and walked a bit down the street to find the #10 bus to take us over to Cable Beach. A bargain at only $1.25 each (no change given) and the driver let us know when we were at Breezes to get off. Quick and easy check in with paying our balance, getting wrist bands, picking up towels, and heading over to the pool. Everything was very clean - pool, beach, bar area, poolside restaurant - and the staff was very friendly with no differentiation between resort guests and the day pass people. We divided our time between the pool and the beach, and our boys took out paddle boards which was fun. We ate lunch inside at the buffet to get out of the sun a bit and we all enjoyed the food. The #10 bus right outside the resort got us back to the ship in plenty of time after a fun day at Breezes.