Celebrity Solstice - Alaska - Wifi

Monster2028

We are going on the Celebrity Solstice in June from Seattle to Alaska. Can anyone share their experience with the wifi aboard the ship, days at sea, and in ports. We have apple devices and need to log into a VPN via a laptop computer. How often did you have access to your phones and internet? We have AT&T USA service. Please include if you were using the new Xcelerate wifi.

We were on the Solstice last October, and the wifi was easy to connect to and not terribly slow. We did most of the access while at sea, since we usually could find free wifi on shore. The one time we connected in port on the ship, the speed seemed about the same. We were connecting with an iPhone and iPad.

We are Android on Verizon, but I expect our experience will be similar. We had decent internet connection onboard most of the time - not as good as at home but better than it used to be. We had absolutely no trouble getting reception on our cell phones in port, for voice or data.

I am on the Solstice, right now, in the South Pacific. Internet has been good. Early morning better than mid day

Thank you for your reply. Can you switch devices easily for example between phone and laptop? Is it fast enough to stream video or facetime?

Thank you for your reply. Can you switch devices easily for example between phone and laptop? Is it fast enough to stream video or facetime?

I have not tried switching devices, nor FaceTime. As we have crossed Equator into northern hemisphere the wifi is much slower. But it usable.

• 3 months later...
phoenix_dream were you on the Xcelerate wifi in Alaska? Are there any days / times it did not work at all?

Sorry, I have not been on this thread in awhile. No, we never had any issues with it not working at all and all they have now is Xcelerate. There are no choices other than number of minutes if you are buying a package.

Sorry, I have not been on this thread in awhile. No, we never had any issues with it not working at all and all they have now is Xcelerate. There are no choices other than number of minutes if you are buying a package.

Phoenix Dream, it sounds very similar to Voom on RC. Is this accurate? I can surf, stream, upload etc all with the greatest of ease with Voom on RC. Hopefully Xcelerate is the same product, only with the "X" catchy name.

I am asking due to work and doing live reviews here on CC, specifically for Alaska.

Phoenix Dream, it sounds very similar to Voom on RC. Is this accurate? I can surf, stream, upload etc all with the greatest of ease with Voom on RC. Hopefully Xcelerate is the same product, only with the "X" catchy name.

I am asking due to work and doing live reviews here on CC, specifically for Alaska.

Can't say for sure but I am guessing so, although I am not sure about the streaming part. I haven't tried that much but have not had much luck - not sure of other's experience. I use the Hangouts app to video call my family back home and that works well most of the time. Your best bet is to try to use the internet at the less busy times, which would be early morning or late at night, or when you are in port (particularly a popular one). Worst times are during the day on sea days and in the late afternoon and early evening.

Can't say for sure but I am guessing so, although I am not sure about the streaming part. I haven't tried that much but have not had much luck - not sure of other's experience. I use the Hangouts app to video call my family back home and that works well most of the time. Your best bet is to try to use the internet at the less busy times, which would be early morning or late at night, or when you are in port (particularly a popular one). Worst times are during the day on sea days and in the late afternoon and early evening.

Thanks for the added feed back. It is appreciated. We are leaning heavily to Solstice for Alaska in July of 2018. Wifi is needed for my work and I also love to do live reviews here on CC. At that rate most of my internet use will be in the evening and early morning so it should be all good.

Thanks again,

Andrew