Condition of the Norwegian Sun

marc moonraker

There are quite a few posts here that include cruises on the Sun. There is a link on the right side of my screen where I can select posts about the various NCL ships.

My last cruise on the Sun was in 2015 before the refurb in 2016 so based on my inability to remember what I had for breakfast AND the refurb that has happened since, anything I remember probably isn't valid. I do remember liking that it is a fairly small ship and has a forward observation area. There are only two elevator areas/stairwells rather than three on most of the larger/newer ships but with the smaller capacity that wasn't an issue.

I think it doesn't have a "Haven" but, since I've never been in a Haven nor will I probably ever be, perhaps someone else will provide some info on that.

You can see a layout at: www.ncl.com/sites/default/files/Pocket-Guide-Sun-092216.pdf

its very tiny. the showers in the balcony rooms are the tiniest at sea ive ever seen. you touch teh walls and curtain constantly during your shower (and we are average size people). if you are very overweight you will have hard time showering. that was our only complaint about the Sun.

Just off the SUN (8/14-8/21 northbound). Honestly was a bit disappointed after reading many really positive reviews. Stayed in mid ship balcony. On the positive the room seemed really large, except for the shower. Balcony was good size, we had 4 chairs sitting out during one of the glacier visits. Bed was comfortable but you could see the age and wear on the sofa.

I think the big problem for us was more with the layout. The ship is small, seemed really narrow. Maybe the weather had a effect, cold and rainy left the outside areas pretty much unused. Had a hard time finding comfortable areas to lounge. Observation lounge was nice, but at multiple times had 1/2 the seating roped off. Main Buffet area was really small and a few days we could not find seating. Didn't have any issues with seating in the main Dinning Areas.

Overall the ship was OK. Seemed small, really narrow. Wouldn't avoid it but seemed much better suited for a port intensive itinerary.

My husband and I just finished an Alaskan cruise on the Sun a couple of weeks ago. We loved it. We had an aft balcony which is I think is a little smaller than regular balcony rooms but it was plenty big for us with more than enough storage. The furnishings were fine and didn't show any wear. The bathrooms are small as on other ships but we didn't have any problems with the space. My husband is 6'3'' and was fine with the round shower although it was small. The only place I found that could have used a little update was the Stardust Lounge where the seats show some wear. I wouldn't hesitate to book a cruise on the Sun. We found all areas very clean, the food was really good and we didn't use any of the "pay" restaurants because we are very happy with what was included. We also found the entertainment very good and we had a great time. The staff was awesome, very friendly and personable. We had other friends on the same cruise with both inside rooms and window view rooms and they were very pleased with their rooms too. I would book a cruise on the Sun again without question!

Can you tell me who the captain was on the Sun when you sailed?

My husband and I just finished an Alaskan cruise on the Sun a couple of weeks ago. We loved it. We had an aft balcony which is I think is a little smaller than regular balcony rooms but it was plenty big for us with more than enough storage. The furnishings were fine and didn't show any wear. The bathrooms are small as on other ships but we didn't have any problems with the space. My husband is 6'3'' and was fine with the round shower although it was small. The only place I found that could have used a little update was the Stardust Lounge where the seats show some wear. I wouldn't hesitate to book a cruise on the Sun. We found all areas very clean, the food was really good and we didn't use any of the "pay" restaurants because we are very happy with what was included. We also found the entertainment very good and we had a great time. The staff was awesome, very friendly and personable. We had other friends on the same cruise with both inside rooms and window view rooms and they were very pleased with their rooms too. I would book a cruise on the Sun again without question!

its very tiny. the showers in the balcony rooms are the tiniest at sea ive ever seen. you touch teh walls and curtain constantly during your shower (and we are average size people). if you are very overweight you will have hard time showering. that was our only complaint about the Sun.

wow I must have forgotten that. We haven't sailed her for about 4 years I guess,but I have been on the Sun 4 times . She is a great ship, the perfect size in my opinion but maybe I just have forgotten the showers. Now, the Spirit, that is the ship that was not designed for us plump people. ;)

I have sailed on the Sun over 15 times in the last four years. All in Alaska. The ship from the outside looks great. The staff is fantastic. And She offered a great Alaskan cruise itinerary. I will be taking her last cruise in Alaska cruise in two weeks. My fifth this season. That being said, the Sun is falling apart on the inside. AC problems. Carpets being soaked from who knows where. Sewage odors. Beverage stations down. Out of order signs on restrooms. And who knows what next. You just hope to not have a cabin that experiences these things. And another dry dock will not help. She had one I think before the Alaska cruise season a couple years ago. The Sun next year will be in Cuba. CUBA???? Why do you think so. Great destination? Wonderful history? Cigars? In my opinion NCL is getting ready to sell the old girl. She is still good enough to use but is it time NCL sell her and get what they can. And not invest more time in this "money pit". They have more ships coming out. So pretty her enough to make her presentable. A little makeup always helps to hide imperfections. And duct tape always works behind closed doors. Her Alaskan itinerary next year will go to the Jewel and the new ship Bliss will be the third ship in Alaska. Looking forward to cruising on different ship in Alaska next year. I will not miss the ship but I will miss the wonderful customer service I have received from the crew. And since I have cruise with Sun so often, the crew are not only my friends they are my family. I actually do see the crew more often than I do my own family during the course of a year. So to go back to the OP's question, if you are a cruiser who likes bells and whistles the Sun is not for you. But if you cruise for itinerary (even Cuba) and excellent customer service then the Sun is the right ship for you.

Just off the SUN (8/14-8/21 northbound). Honestly was a bit disappointed after reading many really positive reviews. Stayed in mid ship balcony. On the positive the room seemed really large, except for the shower. Balcony was good size, we had 4 chairs sitting out during one of the glacier visits. Bed was comfortable but you could see the age and wear on the sofa.

I think the big problem for us was more with the layout. The ship is small, seemed really narrow. Maybe the weather had a effect, cold and rainy left the outside areas pretty much unused. Had a hard time finding comfortable areas to lounge. Observation lounge was nice, but at multiple times had 1/2 the seating roped off. Main Buffet area was really small and a few days we could not find seating. Didn't have any issues with seating in the main Dinning Areas.

Overall the ship was OK. Seemed small, really narrow. Wouldn't avoid it but seemed much better suited for a port intensive itinerary.

Bad wweather can play hell on a cruise. both our mega iship cruises have been burdened with bad weather and it led us to know like big ships. You get 4000 plus on a ship, especially during spring break when the weather sucks and talk about crowded, man or man. I agree with you about the buffet on the Sun, it is really small. I do smile when you say it seems so small: when it went into the water in 2001 is fell into the large ship catagory. :cool:

I chuckle when I see the Sun referred to as "small".

Our first cruises were on ships that carried 650 to 800 passengers.

Me too; guess it gives us an idea when people started cruising doesn't? I remember being on a ship that held about 1000 and spotting the Celebrity ship next to us that was s Huge. I believed someone said it could hold 2000. :D

I cruised in a deluxe Owners Suite on Epic in March and loved it. But my heart belongs to my corner aft penthouse on the Sun which I have cruised in twice. To me, the Sun is perfect. Add in Brian Walters hotel director and I would choose this every time.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We were on the Sun in May of this year. Having only sailed the "Jewel Class" ships prior to the Sun, IMO it is a small ship to me. The bathrooms are small, especially the shower (I'm 6'3"). Not a lot of room to move around in them. We didn't experience any of the smells, or water issues that have been mentioned around the ship.

But the crew, as we have always experienced, was great!

Sailed the Sun out of Tampa a couple of years ago! Have sailed the Pearl, Jewel, Dawn , Getaway and Escape with NCL. I absolutely loved it. To date ,she is my FAVORITE. Loved the Great Outdoors dining

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thank you very much for the thorough report! We are contemplating booking on the Sun for the South America/Cape Horn cruise on 5th January 2018 - our cruising to date has been on older, smaller British ships (850-1400 passenger capacities) and I am a wee bit concerned that we may be overwhelmed by the size of the cruise operation/ship! Do you know approximately how many passengers the ship carries and is embarkation etc quietly civilised or is 2,000 (or more) all running for the gangway like a football crowd?! We're accustomed to a very relaxed and quite gentle pace - because there's always tomorrow - or the day after (and in some cases, it'll be the middle of next week ... ;p;p). I would appreciate any information/advice or tips that you can provide. Thanks. Steve.