Tell me all about the Port of Charleston and the Ecstasy,

Ocean Dancer

• 1 month later...

We just got off Ecstacy on Wednesday. We have handicap placard. Somehow we missed the tent lineup for dropping off our luggage. We pulled right up to the warehouse and they motioned us in. Didn't put a tag on our windshield, didn't check anything. Just told us where to park. After parking, we asked an attendant, Gary, what we were supposed to do with our luggage! (We noticed others pulling in had no luggage). He told us not to worry about it and he'd call a shuttle van to pick it up. Said he did it all the time. And in a matter of minutes, the van took our luggage. The shuttle to take us to port arrived in a few minutes and actually pulled into the warehouse. We arrived at Port, went thru security, etc and was in our room in 30 minutes!

We had stayed at the Wyndham in Mount Pleasant the night before and dined at Ruth's Chris. Best meal we had all week. Debark was just as easy. Collected our luggage, walked to the shuttle, they loaded our luggage and they pulled back into the warehouse and dropped us off. Easiest port ever. And very nice people!

Seems like a positive experience. We have had all the bells and whistles of another line and just looking for a relaxing slower pace cruise with wonderful people.:DWe have late dinner, but is the nightly buffet a dinning experience, or just an extension of lunch? Different foods than the MDR?

We are aware of the politics. Why can't a new port be built near Mt Pleasant or near by?

Well, there's the commercial ports, with the big container ships. Otherwise there is no land available. Waterfront real estate is a super hot commodity

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Charleston is the worse port ever. Pull up they want your bags and I needed to arrange some things, we were rushed and somethings got missed then ride the stupid bus when I can walk across dang street. So annoying

Charleston is the worse port ever. Pull up they want your bags and I needed to arrange some things, we were rushed and somethings got missed then ride the stupid bus when I can walk across dang street. So annoying

Sorry you had a bad time, when things go bad they can go bad quickly. I have had both and here's hoping that in Nov 2017 it's a great one. It will be on the Sunshine which does not park in the warehouse (as the cars are there from the Ecstasy) so a bit different on places and shuttles. I have a HC placard but am thinking I will just get family to take us (I live about 15 minutes from the port) and not park.

So your lack of organizational skills and getting on a shuttle instead of walking is the ports fault? people are truly amazing!

I live about 15 minutes from the port, have for 30 years. Seen it host several Cruise lines that have come and gone but Carnival has stuck it out even with the awful treatment of some people downtown. The "new" terminal/port was supposed to be up and running several years ago but due to a few well connected people and their lawyers things have been sidetracked with lawsuits. It seems once all the objections have been exhausted on one thing the lawyers move to some other thing and string it along.

I think there hope is that Carnival will just go away, and maybe Celebrity or something better than Celebrity will homeport in Charleston and then suddenly there will be no objections.... sad really. I think Carnival is doing just fine with what they have and are going nowhere anytime soon!

We took a carriage ride and I remember seeing the signs in every other window..........I think the signs were more annoying then the cruise ships.

Sad but true, you go anywhere outside downtown (and really in a mile or so radius) and it's the opposite. And as you see many are directed specifically at Carnival. One is about them using their onboard engines to power the ship rather than land based power. It's not easy to shut down those engines and then power up 8 hours later....

We took a carriage ride and I remember seeing the signs in every other window..........I think the signs were more annoying then the cruise ships.

I see these banners every Sunday when I run downtown as well. The thing is, only a handful of Charleston residents feel that way- and most of them happen to live in the South of Broad neighborhoods where the carriage tours go. Most residents like the cruise ships or have no opinions against them, and if you cruise from Charleston, a lot of locals will be on board. So many of my friends and neighbors cruise from Charleston and enjoy it, and I'm looking forward to my 2nd cruise from here in a few weeks too.

I assume it has been awhile since you cruised out of Charleston. The requirement to ride the "stupid bus" was eliminated over a year ago. Guest may now take the shuttle into the terminal if they want, or you may simply walk over.

I assume it has been awhile since you cruised out of Charleston. The requirement to ride the "stupid bus" was eliminated over a year ago. Guest may now take the shuttle into the terminal if they want, or you may simply walk over.

But I like the stupid bus! (not really) - We did the first cruise of the Ecstasy out of Charleston as well as the first time Sunshine cruised out of Charleston last year. At that time both required the shuttle... AND both cruises were delayed big time. we sat on a "bus" for more than 3 hours for Sunshine... actually moved to a different bus as the one we were on over-heated.

BUT I am ready to try it again in Nov. and will happily "hoof" it over to the terminal!