New cabin type/category just added to Horizon

Just a heads up- these were not open when we first booked a few weeks ago and suddenly show as available now. They are being called FO class- "Family Harbor Aft-View Extended Balcony", and are in the family cove area. On the Vista these were just aft facing ocean views but looks like they have decided to add balconies.

Anyone stay in one of the corner rooms on Vista? Specifically the odd shaped rooms 2482 and 2497? I realize they didn't have balconies but assuming everything else is the same and would like to know if they felt bigger or smaller than a standard shaped cabin. TY!

Interesting. You can see the difference when you compare the ships. The Vista is on the left, and you can see how the very aft part of deck two isn't being used for anything. Whereas on the Horizon you can see the new balconies. They actually look pretty nice, even if you can't look down and see the water. Definitely enclosed and private. Smart move on Carnival's part to utilize that dead space.

fd593e9ed5f36412cf81cc87fff979c8.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Edited by bakersdozen12

Hope they don't make the same mistake twice in the main theatre on the Horizon as on the Vista.

There are poles blocking the view of the stage. I hope they listen to all the complaints....suggestions!

We were in 2497 on Vista in January. The cabin size is awesome but it only has 2 closets instead of 3. That is the only thing I would change inside the cabin. Please be aware that it is "Family Harbor". On our cruise that meant lots of unruly, unsupervised kids taking over the area...including the FH Lounge which could have been wonderful...but it wasn't.

Hope they don't make the same mistake twice in the main theatre on the Horizon as on the Vista.

There are poles blocking the view of the stage. I hope they listen to all the complaints....suggestions!

I haven't been on any Carnival ships that didn't have support poles blocking the views in the main theaters. Part of ship design for structure support I suppose. Are there any without the poles?

On our cruise that meant lots of unruly, unsupervised kids taking over the area...including the FH Lounge which could have been wonderful...but it wasn't.

Yup, this is the exact reason why I'm not doing the FH area again. Even with young kids.

I haven't been on any Carnival ships that didn't have support poles blocking the views in the main theaters. Part of ship design for structure support I suppose. Are there any without the poles?

We've been on 30+ Carnival cruises on all the classes of ships. As you state, they all have some poles, but we have NEVER had the obstructed views as we did on the Vista -- even John Heald said, "This is unacceptable something must be done". In addition to the limited view, the seats are basically folding chairs---moved aside after the last performance to change the "theater" into the night club. I have to admit that this isn't stopping us from a Mediterranean, transatlantic B2B on the Horizon, though.

We are okay with the kids as we don't plan to hang in the lounge, our daughter is 17 so not a big draw for her. I AM excited we can just go grab breakfast and coffee and bring back to our cabin though, rather than dealing with the Lido crowds.

Being in an aft facing cabin we will hopefully avoid some of the frequent foot traffic.

Thanks for sharing this information. I booked a FH, I sure hope I didn't make a mistake after reading some of the comments above. Were there just kids running down the hall or were they doing other things?

We were in 2497 on Vista in January. The cabin size is awesome but it only has 2 closets instead of 3. That is the only thing I would change inside the cabin. Please be aware that it is "Family Harbor". On our cruise that meant lots of unruly, unsupervised kids taking over the area...including the FH Lounge which could have been wonderful...but it wasn't.

They really should have seen that coming and try to curb it somehow...

• 3 weeks later...

Thank you for the pics bakersdozen12! Puts a lot more clarity to the deck 2 aft cabins.

I've switched our booking to 2482 too JaniceB. Not sure what the thing is on the balcony on the diagram/floor plan. My guess it is what we see in between the 2 cabins on the right in the pic. Time will tell.

We'll be on the TA from Barcelona so I don't think the kid issue should be too big of a problem. FH was a bit of a zoo on the Vista Repo, but then that cruise was over the Thanksgiving holiday. I bet not too many families will be flying kids to Barcelona to cruise back to NYC....we may see more European families. Again...we'll wait and see.

Interesting. You can see the difference when you compare the ships. The Vista is on the left, and you can see how the very aft part of deck two isn't being used for anything. Whereas on the Horizon you can see the new balconies. They actually look pretty nice, even if you can't look down and see the water. Definitely enclosed and private. Smart move on Carnival's part to utilize that dead space.

fd593e9ed5f36412cf81cc87fff979c8.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I decided to try one of these cabins. I saw that 2482 was available and changed my cabin to it. I hope I made a good choice. I can't wait to see what it looks like when finished.

I would love a large room but want to be as far away as anything labeled "family" as possible while on vacation. I wonder how bad it would be in February?

Lol I was just looking at some Dream pictures and thinking "I am surprised Carnival hasn't added more expensive balconies at the back of deck 2 yet" and here they come!

There has to be some awful vibration but the wake will be very nice.

• 10 months later...

I'm next door to 2497 in SEPT, disappointed that I can't see the ocean, are you allowed to climb over the balcony rail to get closer to the water? Trying to switch to regular cove balcony...but they are booked, hoping one opens up...also the dining room is directly above, that sounds like a nightmare? Please let me know your thoughts... thanks so much!

Thanks for the info...Vista would have been ocean view I believe. The Horizon turned those into cove balconies...

Did you get noise from being under the dining room? I'm hoping not a lot of kids take off from school for this 2 day cruise on Horizon (sept 20th)... Thanks for the warning though.

I'm next door to 2497 in SEPT, disappointed that I can't see the ocean, are you allowed to climb over the balcony rail to get closer to the water? Trying to switch to regular cove balcony...but they are booked, hoping one opens up...also the dining room is directly above, that sounds like a nightmare? Please let me know your thoughts... thanks so much!

The Vista theatre/disco is absolutely the worst area of any ship I've been on in 24 cruises. It's a terrible design. The change was likely done to maximize profit by combining venues so they can add venues that have an extra charge = nickel and diming.

On all other ships the poles were there but not as many as on the vista. The show lounge is very small on two decks instead of 3. No tables for putting your drinks on. Seating is very compact. Your knees hit the chair in front of you

The Vista theatre/disco is absolutely the worst area of any ship I've been on in 24 cruises. It's a terrible design. The change was likely done to maximize profit by combining venues so they can add venues that have an extra charge = nickel and diming.

Pigs will have wings when Carnival is the leader in nickel and diming. NCL is king and your beloved Royal is way in front of Carnival at number 2. Wondering how a new type cabin thread turns into Carnival bashing...

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Pigs will have wings when Carnival is the leader in nickel and diming. NCL is king and your beloved Royal is way in front of Carnival at number 2. Wondering how a new type cabin thread turns into Carnival bashing...

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Turned into conversation on new class of Carnival and problems people see with it. Would not really call it bashing just critiquing.

Did you get noise from being under the dining room? I'm hoping not a lot of kids take off from school for this 2 day cruise on Horizon (sept 20th)... Thanks for the warning though.

No noise from above. It might be different if it is under the galley but we were happy with the quietness of the dining room.

• 4 weeks later...

No noise from the dining room, but you will have noise from below. Under the aft cabin on deck 2 is where the lines are stowed for docking and anchoring. For us, we were fine because we like ship noises! But if you don't, you may be disappointed.

• 4 weeks later...
No noise from the dining room, but you will have noise from below. Under the aft cabin on deck 2 is where the lines are stowed for docking and anchoring. For us, we were fine because we like ship noises! But if you don't, you may be disappointed.

Was this on the Horizon? Curious about the extra bit of ship extending out from the balcony. What did you think? Was it annoying, or did you still get to enjoy the view of the water & wake? We have 2486 booked. I've only ever had a regular balcony, so I've got a whole bunch of nerves and excitement over this pick lol But I'm traveling with my parents & my 4yo, so I thought having access to the FH lounge would be a perk, and I thought this was a better option than a cove under the galley. lol

Was this on the Horizon? Curious about the extra bit of ship extending out from the balcony. What did you think? Was it annoying, or did you still get to enjoy the view of the water & wake? We have 2486 booked. I've only ever had a regular balcony, so I've got a whole bunch of nerves and excitement over this pick lol But I'm traveling with my parents & my 4yo, so I thought having access to the FH lounge would be a perk, and I thought this was a better option than a cove under the galley. lol

I didn't mind the extra space extending out from the balcony. You are so close to the water it didn't make that much of a difference. A cove is next on our list of cabins to try! However, I will try to stay away from the galley if at all possible. With the FH aft balcony I like the fact that there is nothing overhead of you. If you like the sun, you will like it too. Keep an eye on your little one! The balcony railings will be easy for them to climb. That would be my one biggest fear with the aft balcony. The FH lounge was a really nice perk. Super easy to grab some breakfast and bring back to the room to enjoy on the balcony. Have fun!!