Queen Victoria Best Post Refit Video yet...

Solent Richard

Personally do not think that this video is as professional to Cunard Standards in its narrative as others

I agree but keep in mind it was done live and was interactive with questions and replies. None the less it falls short when it comes to production value. At the very least the presenter should never be walking backwards. The camera crew walks backwards and the presenter towards them. That alone would have eliminated much of the awkwardness. I'll say this, the presenter sure has down all his Cunard catch phrases. He must be from Marketing. LOL

Perhaps the restructuring of Cunard UK PR has it's effects?

http://www.seatrade-cruise.com/news/news-headlines/cunard-is-restructuring-its-uk-pr-operation.html

Yes I already read about this and it wouldn't surprise me. Firing the one person who knew more than anyone at the company about the history of Cunard was a mistake. After all, the entire Cunard brand is marketed around its history and tradition.

I still love Cunard and have two future crossings booked on QM2, but I fear more and more Cunard is just becoming an arm of the P&O operation. No dedicated President and I'm not even sure how many executives and staff are dedicated strictly to the Cunard brand. Time will tell, but hopefully the brand has more direction than just some young marketers out to change Cunard and make it more "relevant". Take away the tradition, formality, and structure and I might as well sail Celebrity or Princess.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Yes I already read about this and it wouldn't surprise me. Firing the one person who knew more than anyone at the company about the history of Cunard was a mistake. After all, the entire Cunard brand is marketed around its history and tradition.

I still love Cunard and have two future crossings booked on QM2, but I fear more and more Cunard is just becoming an arm of the P&O operation. No dedicated President and I'm not even sure how many executives and staff are dedicated strictly to the Cunard brand. Time will tell, but hopefully the brand has more direction than just some young marketers out to change Cunard and make it more "relevant". Take away the tradition, formality, and structure and I might as well sail Celebrity or Princess.

Completely agree.

So he did.

My excuse is that the Youtube link was hidden behind another link to his blog - hence not recognised.

The good news is that there have been 572 views since I placed it and a number of new comments.

We Are Cunard

8094293036_675ee29fe5_z.jpg

I'm not sure that loosing an historian from the organisation will dramatically alter the 'tradition, formality and structure of Cunard.

After all, Cunard has a niche market in the world of cruising. More cruisers 'aspire' to sail with the brand than for any other line.

Meanwhile the world does move on and I am the first to acknowledge that the world of IT moves even faster. Twenty years in position must go down as some sort of record but its no guarantee of remaining in perpetuity.

There was a time, not so many years ago, when we would clock up three Cunard cruises/voyages a year. But going round the same old, same old buoy, year in year out no longer appeals and, of around 5 cruises a year, we now return to Cunard maybe once every 12 months.

As the old P&O slogan used to spell out, 'There is a world out there'.

So he did.

My excuse is that the Youtube link was hidden behind another link to his blog - hence not recognised.

My apologies, the reason I did that was because I thought that we were unable to post advertising URLs on this board which I thought the video was ..... possibly..

Just trying not to upset any rules...

On another note... did anyone else notice that the reason the "presenter" tripped was because the piano has now been squeezed into a space between the mezzanine and the wall creating a very awkward pathway...

I'm not sure that loosing an historian from the organisation will dramatically alter the 'tradition, formality and structure of Cunard.

After all, Cunard has a niche market in the world of cruising. More cruisers 'aspire' to sail with the brand than for any other line.

Meanwhile the world does move on and I am the first to acknowledge that the world of IT moves even faster. Twenty years in position must go down as some sort of record but its no guarantee of remaining in perpetuity.

There was a time, not so many years ago, when we would clock up three Cunard cruises/voyages a year. But going round the same old, same old buoy, year in year out no longer appeals and, of around 5 cruises a year, we now return to Cunard maybe once every 12 months.

As the old P&O slogan used to spell out, 'There is a world out there'.

Firing the historian in itself may not dramatically alter the brand, but it certainly could be a start. Personally I think it's a mistake for the reasons I already outlined.

If Cunard wants to "evolve" and go to open sitting dining, less structure, and a casual dress code so be it, but that would be eliminating many of the distinctions that make Cunard a unique brand. In that case I can sail on 30+ other cruise lines that essentially offer the same thing.

I certainly don't sail Cunard exclusively. In fact I probably sail more cruise lines than most people. I'm not loyal to any one brand and I enjoy variety. This being said, I do enjoy a traditional Cunard crossing and occasional Cunard cruise because of the Cunard distinctions. The tradition, formality, structure, and history. It's something I don't find on any other brand or cruise line.

As for Cunard being the brand most people aspire to sail, well that sounds like great PR and I'm fairly certain it's just that. Oh sure there are probably some surveys to back it up, but that doesn't hold much creditability in my book. If that many people truly aspire to sail Cunard what is stopping them? It's not like prices are higher than any other mid-range line. With all the discounting lately I can sail on Cunard sometimes less than Carnival. For now at least, Cunard has very limited popularity. Out of all the Carnival Corp. brands it has the least amount of growth and no growth on the horizon. That in itself concerns me as that is what will prompt substantial changes to the brand to increase popularity. If those changes include more dumbing down of the dress code and open sitting dining, I'll probably just sail on Celebrity, Princess, or any number of other lines when I want a more casual experience.

Firing the historian in itself may not dramatically alter the brand, but it certainly could be a start. Personally I think it's a mistake for the reasons I already outlined.

If Cunard wants to "evolve" and go to open sitting dining, less structure, and a casual dress code so be it, but that would be eliminating many of the distinctions that make Cunard a unique brand. In that case I can sail on 30+ other cruise lines that essentially offer the same thing.

I certainly don't sail Cunard exclusively. In fact I probably sail more cruise lines than most people. I'm not loyal to any one brand and I enjoy variety. This being said, I do enjoy a traditional Cunard crossing and occasional Cunard cruise because of the Cunard distinctions. The tradition, formality, structure, and history. It's something I don't find on any other brand or cruise line.

As for Cunard being the brand most people aspire to sail, well that sounds like great PR and I'm fairly certain it's just that. Oh sure there are probably some surveys to back it up, but that doesn't hold much creditability in my book. If that many people truly aspire to sail Cunard what is stopping them? It's not like prices are higher than any other mid-range line. With all the discounting lately I can sail on Cunard sometimes less than Carnival. For now at least, Cunard has very limited popularity. Out of all the Carnival Corp. brands it has the least amount of growth and no growth on the horizon. That in itself concerns me as that is what will prompt substantial changes to the brand to increase popularity. If those changes include more dumbing down of the dress code and open sitting dining, I'll probably just sail on Celebrity, Princess, or any number of other lines when I want a more casual experience.

Cunard has two choices: it can go seriously downmarket or go upmarket. There's too much middle ground in the cruise industry. Based on recent refits of QM2 and QV, management seem to be opting for upmarket (although decor will need to be matched with top notch service, food and beverages - things many complain is slipping in standard).

For me, I prefer to sail Cunard because of its tradition, formality, and beautiful ships. However, I don't sail with them nearly as much as I'd like because I live half a world away from where the ships are normally based (with the exception of the world cruise). I've said this many times before but I'll say it again. Cunard should consider redeploying one of its ships to other parts of the world throughout the year to offer a wider variety of itineraries.

Cunard also needs to look at updating its on board technology. Cruise lines like Princess and RCCL are updating their internet services and introducing more interactive customer experiences using smart technologies. My concern is that Cunard will be left behind, clinging to what I believe is a misguided belief that it's clientele, largely older people, are technologically illiterate.

This isn't the only area where Cunard falls behind in the innovation race. My recent cruise on a Princess ship featured broadway quality production shows, representing a huge improvement in what they previously offered. Entertainment is something that Cunard sometimes does well, but other times needs to up their game. Part of the cache of sailing Cunard is the connections to famous people. While Insights and Celebrity Speakers are part of the experience, I think that management should actively seek out a wider pool of talent in these areas. I notice each year the same faces on the Insights register and the same UK celebrities. Not that there's anything wrong with repeat talent, but I'd like to see Cunard chase some somewhat younger speakers known for more than ocean liner history or royal family intel, and more international celebrities.

Resting on its laurels nearly cost Cunard its entire business in the late 90s. Now, with what is always promoted as the youngest fleet in the world, surely it would be a huge mistake to keep doing same old in every respect and to ignore changing demands of the travelling public? I do worry that if Cunard fails to evolve (while maintaining its heritage) that it won't survive beyond the life of its current three beautiful ships.

Cunard has two choices: it can go seriously downmarket or go upmarket. There's too much middle ground in the cruise industry. Based on recent refits of QM2 and QV, management seem to be opting for upmarket (although decor will need to be matched with top notch service, food and beverages - things many complain is slipping in standard).

For me, I prefer to sail Cunard because of its tradition, formality, and beautiful ships. However, I don't sail with them nearly as much as I'd like because I live half a world away from where the ships are normally based (with the exception of the world cruise). I've said this many times before but I'll say it again. Cunard should consider redeploying one of its ships to other parts of the world throughout the year to offer a wider variety of itineraries.

Cunard also needs to look at updating its on board technology. Cruise lines like Princess and RCCL are updating their internet services and introducing more interactive customer experiences using smart technologies. My concern is that Cunard will be left behind, clinging to what I believe is a misguided belief that it's clientele, largely older people, are technologically illiterate.

This isn't the only area where Cunard falls behind in the innovation race. My recent cruise on a Princess ship featured broadway quality production shows, representing a huge improvement in what they previously offered. Entertainment is something that Cunard sometimes does well, but other times needs to up their game. Part of the cache of sailing Cunard is the connections to famous people. While Insights and Celebrity Speakers are part of the experience, I think that management should actively seek out a wider pool of talent in these areas. I notice each year the same faces on the Insights register and the same UK celebrities. Not that there's anything wrong with repeat talent, but I'd like to see Cunard chase some somewhat younger speakers known for more than ocean liner history or royal family intel, and more international celebrities.

Resting on its laurels nearly cost Cunard its entire business in the late 90s. Now, with what is always promoted as the youngest fleet in the world, surely it would be a huge mistake to keep doing same old in every respect and to ignore changing demands of the travelling public? I do worry that if Cunard fails to evolve (while maintaining its heritage) that it won't survive beyond the life of its current three beautiful ships.

Good afternoon Austcruiser.

You make some very valid points many of which I support.

Itineraries are important to me that's why my last Ocean cruise in March this year was an anti-clockwise circumnavigation of the South China Sea and my next but one later this year will also see me cruising in South East Asia.

Of course i would add that we 'armchair critics' don't always have the benefit of 'booking' figures hence I often have to place my trust in Cunard for their itinerary programming.

Hi Eroller and thank you for your response.

Reflecting on your central paragraph I can only say that you and I have a lot in common.

As for traditions, On my last Ocean cruise I returned to a cruise line that is also proud of its traditions, refused entry to the restaurants if jackets weren't warn and actively promoted their legacy.

That cruise line?

Hapag-Lloyd: they even claim to have invented cruising. :eek:

Hi Eroller and thank you for your response.

Reflecting on your central paragraph I can only say that you and I have a lot in common.

As for traditions, On my last Ocean cruise I returned to a cruise line that is also proud of its traditions, refused entry to the restaurants if jackets weren't warn and actively promoted their legacy.

That cruise line?

Hapag-Lloyd: they even claim to have invented cruising. :eek:

I haven't sailed Hapag-Lloyd. In the US they really only market the EUROPA 2. I suppose they consider her to be their "International" ship. I certainly wouldn't mind sailing on her, but prices are steep even when compared to other luxury lines like Silversea and Seabourn. I understand it's a great product.

My apologies, the reason I did that was because I thought that we were unable to post advertising URLs on this board which I thought the video was ..... possibly..

Just trying not to upset any rules...

On another note... did anyone else notice that the reason the "presenter" tripped was because the piano has now been squeezed into a space between the mezzanine and the wall creating a very awkward pathway...

Thanks Roscoe but as it's a Cunard video it's fine.

Going upmarket is a possibility, but as you mention it takes more than decor. Food and service have to match, and these days that also means a more inclusive experience. Not having to pull out that cruise card for every drink and onboard purchase. To be honest I'm surprised the Grills haven't already gone all-inclusive or at least semi-inclusive. They really should be.

I also love technology and I'm a bit of a techie. I'm not sure Cunard will ever be a tech lovers dream but it would be nice to see some advancements. Unfortunately that doesn't seem to be in the cards. Cunard had the perfect opportunity during QV's recent refit to outfit her with the technology required to support Carnival Corps. Ocean Medallion program, which will make its debut on Princess this fall. Nope didn't happen. For whatever reason Carnival Corp. decided that Cunard is not the next candidate of their brand portfolio to feature the Medallion program. Meanwhile MSC has developed their own similar program called "MSC For Me" and I will experience it on MSC SEASIDE in January when she makes her debut. Royal Caribbean/Celebrity are very busy working on their program and we will see that on the new CELEBRITY EDGE. I'm booked on her as well, and it will be interesting to compare to the two technology platforms.

Meanwhile Cunard doesn't even have interactive TV's. They did when QM2 made her debut and it worked quite well. It's long since been deactivated as Cunard decided it was too expensive to maintain and their passenger demographic didn't utilize it. Shame.

I haven't sailed Hapag-Lloyd. In the US they really only market the EUROPA 2. I suppose they consider her to be their "International" ship. I certainly wouldn't mind sailing on her, but prices are steep even when compared to other luxury lines like Silversea and Seabourn. I understand it's a great product.

Good morning Eroller.

It certainly is an amazing product...

https://solentrichardscruiseblog.com/2017/04/07/europa-2-asian-island-explorer/

And yes it has a cost but like most things in life, you get what you pay for.

Going upmarket is a possibility, but as you mention it takes more than decor. Food and service have to match, and these days that also means a more inclusive experience. Not having to pull out that cruise card for every drink and onboard purchase. To be honest I'm surprised the Grills haven't already gone all-inclusive or at least semi-inclusive. They really should be.

I also love technology and I'm a bit of a techie. I'm not sure Cunard will ever be a tech lovers dream but it would be nice to see some advancements. Unfortunately that doesn't seem to be in the cards. Cunard had the perfect opportunity during QV's recent refit to outfit her with the technology required to support Carnival Corps. Ocean Medallion program, which will make its debut on Princess this fall. Nope didn't happen. For whatever reason Carnival Corp. decided that Cunard is not the next candidate of their brand portfolio to feature the Medallion program. Meanwhile MSC has developed their own similar program called "MSC For Me" and I will experience it on MSC SEASIDE in January when she makes her debut. Royal Caribbean/Celebrity are very busy working on their program and we will see that on the new CELEBRITY EDGE. I'm booked on her as well, and it will be interesting to compare to the two technology platforms.

Meanwhile Cunard doesn't even have interactive TV's. They did when QM2 made her debut and it worked quite well. It's long since been deactivated as Cunard decided it was too expensive to maintain and their passenger demographic didn't utilize it. Shame.

Good morning again Eroller.

I too love technology. At the risk of taking this thread off topic could you give us a brief explanation on what the 'Ocean medallion Programme'?

Hello

On my two long sailings on the QV I very much enjoyed the live music in the Chart Room. Now it appears with the refit there is no piano in the room. The presenter in the video, however, alludes to Chart Room music from the strong quartet and a piano from the grand lobby.....exactly how will passengers in the Chart room be able to really listen to live music from such a distance??? Can anyone explain this to me? Thank you!

Deck Chair

Good morning again Eroller.

I too love technology. At the risk of taking this thread off topic could you give us a brief explanation on what the 'Ocean medallion Programme'?

Good morning! Rather than me trying to explain it, here is a link that will provide some insight.

http://www.princess.com/ships-and-experience/ocean-medallion-class/ocean-faq/

Basically it's a wearable device (or you can just carry it) that will personalize your cruise experience. From opening your cabin door just by walking up to it, to ordering drinks or food to be delivered anywhere you are on the ship (and paying for it), to having personalized advertisements directed at you from interactive screens around the ship. Yes it's a revenue producer make no mistake, but hopefully it will enhance the cruise experience in other ways. Carnival Corp. has started with some Princess Cruises ships to implement the program, but eventually it's supposed to go fleetwide to every Carnival Corp. ship. It takes quite a bit of retrofitting on the ship, with thousand of sensors that will detect the medallions and of course all new cabin door locks. Training as well for the crew. The medallions themselves use several technologies including NFC and BLE but store no personal information. They have be used in conjunction with an app to truly personalize the experience. The sensors around the ship are proximity and capacitive. Of course it's also a POS system to make paying for all your purchases that much easier.

Disney is truly the innovator behind this technology, and they developed a similar program with their "Magic Bands" used at the Walt Disney World resort in Orlando. Carnival Corp. actually hired the guy behind it all from Disney to develop their own program. The Ocean Medallion takes it even a step further than the Magic Bands.

MSC has developed a similar program called MSC For Me, although I'm not quite sure it has all the capabilities of the Ocean Medallion. It's being used for the first time right now on the new MSC MERAVIGLIA. Instead of a medallion it's a wristband.

Royal Caribbean already developed a wearable technology platform called the "Wow Bands" and they made their debut on QUANTUM OF THE SEAS. They open your door (not by proximity but touching them to the lock) and you can charge with them, but nothing else. So basically just a wearable cruise card. Royal Caribbean is developing a next generation interactive technology platform that will rival Carnival's Ocean Medallion, but I'm not sure when it will make its debut. It will be on the new CELEBRITY EDGE for sure. One big difference is that Royal Caribbean is not planning on using any wearable device. You will use your smart phone for everything. If you don't have a smart phone or don't want to use the technology, the old fashioned cruise card will still be available.

Well that is probably way more than you wanted to know! LOL. Anyway Carnival Corp. could have retrofitted QV during her recent dry dock but for whatever reason decided not to. It would have been the perfect opportunity, especially if they truly plan to extend the Ocean Medallion program to every ship in the Carnival Corp. fleet.

Good morning Eroller.

It certainly is an amazing product...

https://solentrichardscruiseblog.com/2017/04/07/europa-2-asian-island-explorer/

And yes it has a cost but like most things in life, you get what you pay for.

I'll enjoy reading your blog. I have the EUROPA 2 US brochure and it's stunning. Perhaps the most beautiful of any cruise line brochure. If the experience mirrors the brochure I know it's something special. Maybe someday!

Good morning! Rather than me trying to explain it, here is a link that will provide some insight.

http://www.princess.com/ships-and-experience/ocean-medallion-class/ocean-faq/

Basically it's a wearable device (or you can just carry it) that will personalize your cruise experience. From opening your cabin door just by walking up to it, to ordering drinks or food to be delivered anywhere you are on the ship (and paying for it), to having personalized advertisements directed at you from interactive screens around the ship. Yes it's a revenue producer make no mistake, but hopefully it will enhance the cruise experience in other ways. Carnival Corp. has started with some Princess Cruises ships to implement the program, but eventually it's supposed to go fleetwide to every Carnival Corp. ship. It takes quite a bit of retrofitting on the ship, with thousand of sensors that will detect the medallions and of course all new cabin door locks. Training as well for the crew. The medallions themselves use several technologies including NFC and BLE but store no personal information. They have be used in conjunction with an app to truly personalize the experience. The sensors around the ship are proximity and capacitive. Of course it's also a POS system to make paying for all your purchases that much easier.

Disney is truly the innovator behind this technology, and they developed a similar program with their "Magic Bands" used at the Walt Disney World resort in Orlando. Carnival Corp. actually hired the guy behind it all from Disney to develop their own program. The Ocean Medallion takes it even a step further than the Magic Bands.

MSC has developed a similar program called MSC For Me, although I'm not quite sure it has all the capabilities of the Ocean Medallion. It's being used for the first time right now on the new MSC MERAVIGLIA. Instead of a medallion it's a wristband.

Royal Caribbean already developed a wearable technology platform called the "Wow Bands" and they made their debut on QUANTUM OF THE SEAS. They open your door (not by proximity but touching them to the lock) and you can charge with them, but nothing else. So basically just a wearable cruise card. Royal Caribbean is developing a next generation interactive technology platform that will rival Carnival's Ocean Medallion, but I'm not sure when it will make its debut. It will be on the new CELEBRITY EDGE for sure. One big difference is that Royal Caribbean is not planning on using any wearable device. You will use your smart phone for everything. If you don't have a smart phone or don't want to use the technology, the old fashioned cruise card will still be available.

Well that is probably way more than you wanted to know! LOL. Anyway Carnival Corp. could have retrofitted QV during her recent dry dock but for whatever reason decided not to. It would have been the perfect opportunity, especially if they truly plan to extend the Ocean Medallion program to every ship in the Carnival Corp. fleet.

Thank you most kindly Sir.