Havana on Sky or Sun

2tnts

Has anyone sailed to Cuba on the Sky (or Sun)? How is the ship? Would this be a good cruise for a family reunion?We are looking to go somewhere different (than the usual Bahamas) for a short cruise.

Honest feedback.....

• 2 months later...

I went on the Sky and we enjoyed it. The Sun and the Sky are both the same class of ship, so I wouldn't expect there to be too much difference. While the Sky was a small ship, we never felt crowded and there are plenty of lounges that your group could gather in. Our other port was Great Stirrup Cay, which would also be nice for your group. You tender off the boat and go strait to the beach, no need to coordinate plans-- a great stress-free day!

I went on the Sky and we enjoyed it. The Sun and the Sky are both the same class of ship, so I wouldn't expect there to be too much difference. While the Sky was a small ship, we never felt crowded and there are plenty of lounges that your group could gather in. Our other port was Great Stirrup Cay, which would also be nice for your group. You tender off the boat and go strait to the beach, no need to coordinate plans-- a great stress-free day!

I was only thinking of the Sun cause I read where the MDR was hot on the Sky as we will be cruising in the late summer I don't want to be hot at dinner. I'm thinking since the Sun will have just come out of dry-dock the A/C might work better. Just wishful thinking.. We're doing the Cuba trip

I was only thinking of the Sun cause I read where the MDR was hot on the Sky as we will be cruising in the late summer I don't want to be hot at dinner. I'm thinking since the Sun will have just come out of dry-dock the A/C might work better. Just wishful thinking.. We're doing the Cuba trip

We were in the Sky to Cuba in August and the Sun last month. I don’t recall any problems with A/C in the Sky MDR, but the Seven Seas MDR in the Sun is like a sauna at night. It was very hit on both our cruises. Both ships need an overhaul.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I've sailed on the Sun three times and the Sky once. I prefer the Sun - the rooms, the décor, the dining venues and the service. Both ships will be open bar. It is a "smaller" ship than the Epic or Getaway, and does not have all the amenities, but I love it just the same. We're doing the Sun to Cuba because it leaves out of Port Canaveral (shorter drive for us) and the stop in Key West - would much rather got there than the private island (which is a nice beach day, but I'm all about Hemingway on this trip, lol). The Sun does not get a true second day in Cuba - it leaves at 6:00 AM, so if that's important to you, you may want to keep that in mind.

Edited by bostongal965
typo

I just returned from Havana on the Sky yesterday. It was a WONDERFUL trip as Havana is a lovely city and very different from anywhere else in the region that cruise lines visit. It is nice have the 1/2 day on day two in Havana which the Sun will not have; Sky leaves at noon on day 2 whilst Sun leaves at 6am. Leaving at noon allows another short tour on the 2nd day or some shopping time in Habana Vieja. We missed GSC due to rough waves but I was not too disappointed about it. I agree that Key West is a better 2nd port than anywhere in the Bahamas but for this itinerary Cuba is the star so I would go with whichever has the most time there [as of now it is the Sky].

The ship is indeed old and the layout is odd in some areas but we found it to be in good repair. It was clean and I {kind of} liked the kitschy Hawaiian decor that was leftover from when she was Pride of Aloha. I've never sailed on the Sun so cannot compare. However, we had an inside stateroom on this trip and it was the SMALLEST inside stateroom I've ever been in, on any line. It was truly tiny. Only 2 closets instead of the usual 3; no sofa/loveseat or even arm chair...just the tiny desk chair and even that barely fit; and a very small circular shower stall that looked like a vintage Star Trek teleportation device. There was literally about 1.5 ft on each side of the bed when it was made into a "king" and thus about a yard in the center when the beds are split. I will post a review of the trip shortly with some photos.