Just back from Antarctica on the Explorer: Jan 29-Feb 7 2015

One other possibility is this: well prior to the start of the season, the expedition companies divvy up the Peninsula "touring" area amongst themselves, agreeing on which ship will be where for what window of time. The goal is to give each ship and their guests some "alone time" at each spot, making things appear as remote and devoid of human presence as possible (and of course not have too many people ashore). In your case, you may have needed to get out of where you were because you were about to intrude on another ship's block of time.

I found it fascinating when our expedition leader explained this whole process to us.

We heard this as well in Nov 2014.

One morning we missed a scheduled landing due to weather. Our expedition leader fortunately was able to find an alternate place to visit.

At recap that evening, the expedition leader explained the process for changing an itinerary. Before the start of the season, the expedition companies (IAATO members) select their landing spots. The schedule is shared among IAATO members. If a ship wants to visit an alternate landing, and the schedule shows no one has said they are going there at that time, the ship can simply announce it will go to that location. But if the schedule says another ship will go there, our ship would would have to inquire if they still planned to do so.

This system works well to preserve "alone time." After our morning visit to Palmer Station, on the zodiac ride back to the ship we saw an anchored ship waiting for it's time slot for its guests to visit the station.

Woody

Ah, yes - the good old days! Our first Antarctic trip was in 1997 on the original "Lindblad Explorer" - now, sadly, resting at the bottom of Antarctic waters. We never saw another ship or were limited in our landings at any time. I wonder if the Orion with its 106 passenger complement is freed from the 100 pax limits. We were not limited on our 2nd visit in '03 on Endeavour.

That is very interesting. I honestly didn't even think about other ships being there!

So how cold does it feel when you are on all that ice? I know when we just cruised by the glaciers in Alaska it was freezing (although I definitely will have warmer clothes with us for Antarctica).

It felt a lot warmer in Antarctica in early Feb then it did for those living in the US Mid-Atlantic region of the U.S. During sunny afternoons, the temp sometimes rose to the low 40's. It was so "balmy", that quite a few hikers shed their parkas and walked around in just a base layer.

Other days it was colder of course, but nothing like the frigid teens (and lower) I experienced when returning home. From a weather perspective, we had it all: rain, snow, sun, clouds, wind, calm, and sometimes all of that within an hour's duration. Naturally the windier it is the colder you feel. But I was never uncomfortablly cold or hot during the entire journey. When talking about weather - it brings to mind a very memorable moment when I stood bending/peering over the bow of the ship in some pretty heavy, wind-driven snow watching orca whales dart alongside the ship. It was dream-like, and I remember pinching myself and quietly mumbling "Am I really here seeing this?".

That sounds amazing!! It would make my trip to see Orcas in their natural habitat.

Sounds like we need to be prepared for every type of weather. I plan on following the packing list, but still can't figure out how I'm going to get it all to fit in a suitcase!

Actually, while we dressed warmly (in layers), we were seldom aware of freezing temperatures. The only memorable experience was moving against the katabatic winds while approaching Elephant Island - it was REALLY cold!

That sounds amazing!! It would make my trip to see Orcas in their natural habitat.

FWIW, we had two of the world's leading killer whale researchers on board with us, and they never, ever called the whales "orcas," only killer whales.

How much time do you have between the time they announce a landing and the zodiacs leaving? It took me almost 15 minutes to put all my stuff on!

You will have plenty of time. Relax! :)

One suggestion: make up a checklist of the stuff you are taking on the landings with you. It will help ensure you don't forget something.