Unknown Credit card charges from cruise

The problem is your credit card statement might come a month after you get off the ship.This has happened several times to us usually for between 3 and 12 dollars.We rarely buy anything from the mini bar and i check my final invoice thoroughly before leaving ship but when i rang RC they said it was mini bar purchases.They reimbursed the small amount but the time you are on the phone (0844 number) it costs as much to phone as you get back and they won't entertain compensation for your expense just the amount overcharged.

Sent from my Kestrel using Forums mobile app

The problem is your credit card statement might come a month after you get off the ship. ...

This is why we check online right after we leave the ship. Funny, we don't have to do that with any other vendor.

I pay by credit card not associated with my bank where I can check on line.It seems regularly the price of 1 or 2 mini bar items which they probably think people will not miss.I call this theft when I have had my final invoice in dollars then more is added to my bill when they think they can get away with it.

In the OP's case, it appears that the issue isn't one of being dinged for a bottle or two of water but for credit card holds which will disappear.

Not only did the pending charges not drop off I got another charge for $10.70 that was not pending today 4 days after i got off ship. Customer service response was we are aware of this problem?????????

They should do something about it if they are aware. Maybe after people vacate cabin someone is taking the bottled water??? Some investigation should be done

Also should not have a credit card hold when I had a ZERO BALANCE. I EVEN HAD $2.09 CREDIT!!!!!!

VERY FRUSTRATING TO COME HOME AND HAVE TO CALL TO HAVE THESE CHARGES TAKEN CARE OF. AS OF NOW THEY DID NOT TAKD CHARGE OFF.

I WILL NEVER GIVE THEM MY CREDIT CARD AGAIN I WILL USE CASH!!!!!

My guess is that the mini bar attendants have been instructed to report a certain number of water bottles as missing/used and they are selecting cabins randomly. Or they are making their rounds very early and if you are still in your cabin when they are working your section, you are "it" for the charges.

BTW, if you've had over 30 cruises with RCCL, do you really think that they are going to set out to defraud you now?:confused:

Faulty logic. I doubt ones cruise history is even known to those generating the errors.

I don't expect RCCL sets out to defraud anyone. In fact I am pretty sure they do not. But it seems obvious from the multiple threads on the subject that adjustments made in staffing, reporting, and/or auditing procedures have lead to an uptick in erroneous charges.

If so the "fraud" characterization becomes debatable. I would argue that it is a primary responsibility of any company to have in place safeguards to minimize erroneous charges. Simply relying on consumers to report errors is not a reasonable approach. Companies must take a proactive approach to prevention.

Faulty logic. I doubt ones cruise history is even known to those generating the errors.

I don't expect RCCL sets out to defraud anyone. In fact I am pretty sure they do not. But it seems obvious from the multiple threads on the subject that adjustments made in staffing, reporting, and/or auditing procedures have lead to an uptick in erroneous charges.

If so the "fraud" characterization becomes debatable. I would argue that it is a primary responsibility of any company to have in place safeguards to minimize erroneous charges. Simply relying on consumers to report errors is not a reasonable approach. Companies must take a proactive approach to prevention.

Nothing faulty with my logic. If after dealing with a reputable company for years with no problems a minor accounting error occurs, the logical response would be to determine the facts and have the error corrected. Running around accusing the company of fraud, on the other hand, is totally illogical. Particularly as, in this case, it appears that there was no error on RCI's part, just the OP's misunderstanding of credit card transactions.

Nothing faulty with my logic. If after dealing with a reputable company for years with no problems a minor accounting error occurs, the logical response would be to determine the facts and have the error corrected. Running around accusing the company of fraud, on the other hand, is totally illogical. Particularly as, in this case, it appears that there was no error on RCI's part, just the OP's misunderstanding of credit card transactions.

This and a number of previous post by various cc members are no longer accurate when referring to the OP. The mods have now joined two separate threads and the OP of the combined thread is not the one to whom we are referring. Post #58 is the OP to which we refer.

Edited by Fouremco

You may wish to reread the OP's posts. I read nothing to suggest that the complaint was in fact a misunderstanding of the company's billing practices.

As I read the statement, the suggestion was that a company's propensity to commit fraud on a customer depends on the length of association.

After 8am on debarkation day a lot of cabin doors are left wide open so the potential is there for someone dishonest to help themselves and the unwitting previous occupants end up being charged.

The minibars are now left EMPTY. IMO this makes *so many* "mistakes" highly suspicious.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

The minibars are now left EMPTY. IMO this makes *so many* "mistakes" highly suspicious.

Carol - this happened to me on the Harmony TA in Oct and I was actually in the cabin when the guy checked the minibar. I spoke to him directly about the fact that the same two bottles of water were still there and I didn't expect any minbar charges. Two days later I had a $6.14 charge on my credit card. This was the 3rd or 4th time this has happened to me on recent cruises.

When? Ours always has bottled water,cans of soft drinks etc when we leave and after 42 cruises this has always been the case so who empties them?

When was your last cruise?

Not all ships started making it optional to have stuff in your refrigerator at the same time, but I'm guessing about five months ago.

Well, your Ventura experience would be irrelevant.

Harmony would be possibly different, being in Europe.

My refrigerator was empty on the Harmony in October on the Transatlantic.

Edited by Merion_Mom

We went on Harmony 26 may,26 June and 11 September and there was a selection of drinks each time.What is your problem with P&O Ventura? We had chrisps,soft drinks and beer in our fridge.We always book balcony or above,were you? as maybe some lower grade cabins might not have drinks in them

Well, your Ventura experience would be irrelevant.

Harmony would be possibly different, being in Europe.

My refrigerator was empty on the Harmony in October on the Transatlantic.

Agree, only 2 water bottles in my rooms on Royal last 2+ yrs over 200 nites on board. Nothing else in fridge, I never been charged either though not to say others haven't, What read on here it happens. Few times I was still in cabin morning getting off when they came around to see if water bottles missing, wonder if few came up missing after count on the passengers way out...

We went on Harmony 26 may,26 June and 11 September and there was a selection of drinks each time.What is your problem with P&O Ventura? We had chrisps,soft drinks and beer in our fridge.We always book balcony or above,were you? as maybe some lower grade cabins might not have drinks in them

Think she was referring to Royal Europe ships having stocked snacks, US not. Also irrelevant that discussion was on Royal not P&O.

I DO understand credit card transactions and today I had another charge on my credit card that was not pending for the mini bar water which I never drank.

I DO understand credit card transactions and today I had another charge on my credit card that was not pending for the mini bar water which I never drank.

Yet another charge? Clearly something's not right if they keep adding a series of charges after your disembarkation. Again, though, after your 30+ uneventful cruises, I would put this down to error, not fraud. Either way, the problem needs to be fixed and I hope you get satisfaction soon.

Not only did the pending charges not drop off I got another charge for $10.70 that was not pending today 4 days after i got off ship. Customer service response was we are aware of this problem?????????

They should do something about it if they are aware. Maybe after people vacate cabin someone is taking the bottled water??? Some investigation should be done

Also should not have a credit card hold when I had a ZERO BALANCE. I EVEN HAD $2.09 CREDIT!!!!!!

VERY FRUSTRATING TO COME HOME AND HAVE TO CALL TO HAVE THESE CHARGES TAKEN CARE OF. AS OF NOW THEY DID NOT TAKD CHARGE OFF.

I WILL NEVER GIVE THEM MY CREDIT CARD AGAIN I WILL USE CASH!!!!!

Suspiciously close to the magic $12 error. Did you get your $2 credit?

And who needs a newspaper? Royal Caribbean has a Facebook page and a twitter account (I'd guess) ask there what the deal is and why so many people are seeing this same charge over and over. Nothing like bad press on social media to get someone's attention.