"LIVE"-Rhapsody of the Seas-14 Jan 2017-Exploring the Yucatán Peninsula

PCWalton1

Hello everyone. It has been unseasonably cold here in the Seattle area (overnight 20s is cold for us :eek:) and my birthday is coming up so time to get out of town and head for warmer climates. Tomorrow morning we board our Alaska Airlines flight to Tampa and then seven gloriously warm days and nights on Rhapsody of the Sea. If you are interested, come along. :D

32153598471_34acb7a0a0_b.jpg

We are in JS cabin 8598. The last time we were fortunate to have an aft balcony was this exact cabin for our Hawaii cruise is 2014. I remember the view was terrific in the Pacific, hoping its just as good in the Gulf of Mexico. :D

31462945363_63bfa762a5_b.jpg

September 2014

0094e323f921b2515a8b6c72539961de.jpg

Looking forward to this Bill. We're on the same cruise two weeks after you, so this review will be very interesting to me.

We are also looking to sail this ship/itinerary to get our points for the next level.

Thank you for the invite!!:):):)

I like this itinerary, we have beach days for 3 of the 4 ports

OMG

Well it is about time!!!!!!!!

No really, I do miss your posts and pictures and by the way...

How is Marie? Waiting for that smile of hers.

Cannot wait to see more dialogue and pictures.

Safe travels

And thanks for taking us along.

Sea Ya

Thanks Sue you are right. It's about time.

Boarding day is going to be different for us. The Seahawks will be playing Atlanta around sail away time. Hoping they show the game on the poolside screen.

99cfe7c47ed89a50be373ff48805d659.jpg

Sent from my Galaxy S7 Edge using Tapatalk

The book I loaded on my Kindle looks to be a good history lesson of the area.

32155789081_11502cd576_o.jpg

In 1839, rumors of extraordinary yet baffling stone ruins buried within the unmapped jungles of Central America reached two of the world’s most intrepid travelers. Seized by the reports, American diplomat John Lloyd Stephens and British artist Frederick Catherwood—both already celebrated for their adventures in Egypt, the Holy Land, Greece, and Rome—sailed together out of New York Harbor on an expedition into the forbidding rainforests of present-day Honduras, Guatemala, and Mexico. What they found would upend the West’s understanding of human history.

In the tradition of Lost City of Z and In the Kingdom of Ice, former San Francisco Chronicle journalist and Pulitzer Prize finalist William Carlsen reveals the remarkable story of the discovery of the ancient Maya. Enduring disease, war, and the torments of nature and terrain, Stephens and Catherwood meticulously uncovered and documented the remains of an astonishing civilization that had flourished in the Americas at the same time as classic Greece and Rome—and had been its rival in art, architecture, and power. Their masterful book about the experience, written by Stephens and illustrated by Catherwood, became a sensation, hailed by Edgar Allan Poe as “perhaps the most interesting book of travel ever published” and recognized today as the birth of American archaeology. Most important, Stephens and Catherwood were the first to grasp the significance of the Maya remains, understanding that their antiquity and sophistication overturned the West’s assumptions about the development of civilization.

OK, is there a reason I should be concerned about that particular port?

Rhapsody wasn't able to dock yesterday due to high winds and the Empress the day before yesterday. NCL docked however yesterday and today.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Edited by DisneyDatknee

Since the topic of what we will do in the ports has come up I will post that.

First stop is Roatan and we will be spending the day at Little French Key.

Little French Key is a private Island Resort with various fun activities for day visitors only, and includes horse back swimming, interaction with various animals, massages, manicure and pedicure. Little French Key is located on the south shore/windward side of the beautiful Island of Roatan, in the Bay Islands chains of Honduras. This cozy paradise houses a private zoo with a private collection of exotic animals which mostly been rescued and are attended to with most loving care.

LFK also offers several white sand beaches, numerous bars, including a swim-up bar in the clear Caribbean Sea, three restaurants, two on the water and one on the white sand beach, two Jump platform for your enjoyment; all created with utmost respect for the environment and the wildlife that is part of this amazing place.The-Perfect-Setting-for-your-Celebration

Adjacent to the second largest coral reef in the world and surrounded by crystal clear, warm and turquoise water, Little French Key is the perfect setting for a day full of fun and adventure; where the sound of the sea and the coolness of the Caribbean breeze blends in perfect harmony to create an atmosphere of peace and tranquility.

32275155155_a08e89f3f4_b.jpg

31898926840_779f128f10_b.jpg

Next stop is Belize City and that is where we will be taking our only ship's excursion. The tour we are taking is the Altun Ha and River Wallace. We have never seen Mayan ruins before so we are looking forward to this opportunity.

Your exhilarating boat ride glides along the city's scenic and historic coast before entering the Rio Wallace River. Lookout for crocodiles, iguanas, howler monkeys and even a feeding manatee or dolphin may appear during your 2-hour tour. You'll stop at the Iguana Stop for 30-45 minutes to browse the gift shops or buy a delicious local lunch. Your adventure continues by bus to the ancient city of Altun Ha, the Mayan ceremonial center comprising of two plazas and thriteen structures one of which is the Temple of the Sun, a vital trade center during the Classic Period (250-900 AD).

32275155465_fa7bc404c0_b.jpg

32275156425_e645948bb8_b.jpg

Next stop is Costa Maya and our day will be spent at Maya Chan Beach.

Maya Chan Beach Resort is located four miles south of the busy Port of Costa Maya. We are a small oasis far from the hustle and bustle of tourism, and the hectic open restaurants and bars of the local village of Mahahual. Our all-inclusive beach break has been designed for the discerning cruiser who might not want to adhere to the strict regimen of a shore excursion. There is no need to rush off the ship to secure a spot in the shade, as this Costa Maya location reserves your spot ahead of time and holds it for you until you arrive. Our glass bottom kayaks are available for use all day, as well as our complimentary snorkel gear. Lunch is served fresh and hot off the grill, when you are ready to eat, not on a preplanned schedule. It’s YOUR vacation. Own It.

32275154905_af9d1901a1_b.jpg

31898926630_4b8dbff12c_b.jpg

Last but not least we will be in Cozumel and we will be heading back to the Cozumel Nachicocom Beach Club. We visited here for my birthday cruise two years ago and had a terrific time.

Make your cruise visit to Cozumel the most enjoyable and memorable Caribbean Cruise experience you’ve ever had. Take advantage of the All-inclusive Beach Break Package, offers for families, couples, and friends.

Open Monday to Saturday. Opening Hours from 9:00 AM to 5:00 P.M. (Cozumel Local Time). For cruise ship passengers arriving after noon to port we remain open until 6:30pm.

Nachi Cocom Beach Club also offers activities: Snorkel, Massage, Banana Boat Ride, etc; & Towels.

32277633245_ece97015ae_b.jpg

31898927780_cab5fa1706_b.jpg

31465155103_1b7e7ba678_z.jpg

We are in JS cabin 8598. The last time we were fortunate to have an aft balcony was this exact cabin for our Hawaii cruise is 2014. I remember the view was terrific in the Pacific, hoping its just as good in the Gulf of Mexico. :D

31462945363_63bfa762a5_b.jpg

September 2014

0094e323f921b2515a8b6c72539961de.jpg

We've been thinking about an aft junior suite on rhapsody for 2018 so I would be very interested in your thoughts and maybe a few pics? (Never stayed in an aft cabin - always midship )

I wonder what the balcony on the corner aft beside you is like?

Very interested in your general thoughts and comments on rhapsody.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Yay, Bill! Thanks for taking us along!

As always, I am looking forward to your fabulous photos :D Just reserved Nachi for our Navigator sailing next month, and your photo reminds me that I must order the grilled shrimp again, which was fabulous!

Chris