Just back: Pros, cons and tips

wendilyn5

We truly enjoyed our first cruise on Azamara! I will write a detailed review later. Here are some quick tips:

Book 3 nights at speciality restaurants, they were truly wonderful! You can go directly to the restaurant to squeeze in, and even eat at bar in Prime C!

Eat at the Patio for lunch or dinner!

They will save a bottle of wine for next night if you don't finish.

Coffee station is open 24hours in windows cafe!

Pool is salt water (no problems, just fyi)

If you have pictures taken, be sure to check them right away, we had some take on the second to last night and they were gone from system the last full day and we never got to see them!:confused::mad:

Land excursions: we booked the one big tour we wanted for the last full day in port, (Saturday). On Wednesday night we were notified it was cancelled. Thursday was a day in port, but by the time the desk opened, it was too late to book a tour for that day. This left only an option to book a different tour in Venice; none of the options we what we wanted. I tried to have them give me some sort of credit due to the late change and us now having to use our own funds to arrange for the tour we wanted. But, I was not successful. I understand it was a credit just for tours, but this was there fault, not mine. We booked the "like package" to get the $400 credit and would have used it on another port, but due to late cancelation were not able too!

I just wanted to warn others of this possiblity.

Overall it was really wonderful, the service, cleanliness, food quality, and cabin confort (except shower) equalled Disney!

Oh ya! Thanks for sharing this info!

In Windows and the Sunset bar the included sparkling water was Crystalline, the same make as the bottled water you are normally supplied by the gangway and in your staterooms. I suspect the make may vary as the ship gets supplies in different locations, just don't expect any 'posh' makes like Perrier.

In Windows and the Sunset bar the included sparkling water was Crystalline, the same make as the bottled water you are normally supplied by the gangway and in your staterooms. I suspect the make may vary as the ship gets supplies in different locations, just don't expect any 'posh' makes like Perrier.

Ideal choice, was never expecting Perrier - to be honest I often cannot tell the difference.

Land excursions: we booked the one big tour we wanted for the last full day in port, (Saturday). On Wednesday night we were notified it was cancelled. Thursday was a day in port, but by the time the desk opened, it was too late to book a tour for that day. This left only an option to book a different tour in Venice; none of the options we what we wanted. I tried to have them give me some sort of credit due to the late change and us now having to use our own funds to arrange for the tour we wanted. But, I was not successful. I understand it was a credit just for tours, but this was there fault, not mine. We booked the "like package" to get the $400 credit and would have used it on another port, but due to late cancelation were not able too!

I just wanted to warn others of this possiblity.

Overall it was really wonderful, the service, cleanliness, food quality, and cabin confort (except shower) equalled Disney!

Thanks for the info about the land excursion credit - we are also going on our first Azamara cruise and also have the 'LIKE' package.

I know I would be very annoyed if they cancelled my 'free excursion' so late and didn't offer me something for my credit. Keeping my fingers crossed [emoji6]

Sounds like a good cruise overall! I would have felt that was a bit "bait and switchy" had it happened to me! So it was at the end and there was no opportunity to book something else? Departure day tours aren't a real option, what if you had to leave town right away? Or had your own arrangements made already? Frankly, it surprises me they would sell a package, not be able to deliver a package component and not compensate you somehow. I'll be opting out of the packages myself, as in most cases with travel "packages" they either aren't worth the components sold separately or if you can't use a component you are overpaying. Thanks for your review!

I'm confused by this excursion cancellation stuff. Is this problem only if you have booked some kind of excursion package? If I book and pay for an excursion with Azamara and it gets cancelled onboard, surely I get a refund?

Yes you can get a refund if you paid for the excursion.

I believe OP's issue is that they had a promotion where the "free" OBC given could only be used for shore excursions, so it was use it or lose it non-refundable ("non-paid") OBC. Nothing was paid, so nothing to refund if the excursion is cancelled.

It's unfortunate but it looks like a risk that has to be taken into consideration when booking an excursion for near the end of a cruise.

Edited by ShopperfiendTO

Yes you can get a refund if you paid for the excursion.

I believe OP's issue is that they had a promotion where the "free" OBC given could only be used for shore excursions, so it was use it or lose it non-refundable ("non-paid") OBC. Nothing was paid, so nothing to refund if the excursion is cancelled.

It's unfortunate but it looks like a risk that has to be taken into consideration when booking an excursion for near the end of a cruise.

Very well said. You could also take one of the other excursions in order to use that OBC, something the OP chose not to do.

Very well said. You could also take one of the other excursions in order to use that OBC, something the OP chose not to do.

Right--- On my June cruise when two excursions were cancelled I received the following..."the excursion to the beach was cancelled..how about going to the mountains". Others told me of similar notes..."we know you booked the boat tour but how about a walking tour"

If I had wanted to go to the mountains I probably would have booked it originally.

I think there is justifiable concern with excursions being cancelled. I know on my upcoming cruise with $1100 OBC I will book my excursion early (as soon as I am onboard). It would even be nicer if I was allowed to use it on the expensive tour to Ankor Wat that must be booked 30 days prior to the cruise.

Providing a credit that can only be used for shore excursions, but which is restricted to only be allowed to be used once onboard, is a ridiculous policy. The sooner that Azamara can get their technology to allow for these to be prebooked the better (Larry Pimentel recently expressed hope that this will be possible sometime in 2017).

Literally anything else that I would use onboard credit for I don't need to prebook (or actually cannot prebook). The one thing which should be prebooked, that is the one thing that Azamara decides to create the credit for...:confused: