Photo Review- 1st Timer on Journey: Questions Were Asked, Answers Were Learned!

Familygoboston

Thank you both. The information is most helpful. I also have a message into Changing Tides (the tour company) to advise them that we are docking, not tendering. Golfito will be our first port of call in Costa Rica on this cruise, so I may need to push back departure to accommodate for delays re: face to face meeting with CR officials as well as there possibly being a ship at our berth.

Familygoboston ... I like your blog and will be reading your past posts as time permits.

Thank you h2os4! I'll have to check out yours, polar cruising is high on our wander list, and it seems you've done quite a bit! As a matter of fact we are headed to Churchill this fall to see the polar bears! We really are anxious to go to Antarctica too, but hubby just took a new job and that one will wait till he decides to retire- I know we will need several weeks to enjoy it all plus South Georgia island! We have looked at the Azamara Norway (north polar) cruises, but I'm still reluctant to summer cruise and leave my own summer home! But one day we will do that too!

Thank you h2os4! I'll have to check out yours, polar cruising is high on our wander list, and it seems you've done quite a bit! As a matter of fact we are headed to Churchill this fall to see the polar bears! We really are anxious to go to Antarctica too, but hubby just took a new job and that one will wait till he decides to retire- I know we will need several weeks to enjoy it all plus South Georgia island! We have looked at the Azamara Norway (north polar) cruises, but I'm still reluctant to summer cruise and leave my own summer home! But one day we will do that too!

Polar cruising is in my blood ... but I have to put it aside for a while to see other parts of the world :-) Churchill is such a wonderful experience. We went in 2008 with Frontiers North, the operator of the Tundra Buggy. I'm sure some things have changed since then, but if you want to "armchair travel" I wrote about our experience and posted photos here.

Another Family masterpiece.....

Just FYI we have taken our obituary pics on an RCCL cruise and we are only 62.

Pays to be prepared and what use are more free RCCL pictures anyway?

• 1 month later...

Found this and loving reading. So far I've reached Colombia in the review. We did a PC transit on Princess last year and did a private tour with CC posters in Cartagena. And we had Dora the Explorer as our guide. :)

Found this and loving reading. So far I've reached Colombia in the review. We did a PC transit on Princess last year and did a private tour with CC posters in Cartagena. And we had Dora the Explorer as our guide. :)

Thanks Cinnamon! I had fun writing it! We really enjoyed our Azamara cruise, I am just about at the point of planning the next one (Adriatic on Quest in Oct 2017) hoping it's a "go" now that it's almost one year out. Dora was great, we enjoyed her tour, but I wish we had more time in port! Enjoy the rest, and follow us on Twitter, FB and our website, where we write about all our travels, not just the cruises!

Another Family masterpiece.....

Just FYI we have taken our obituary pics on an RCCL cruise and we are only 62.

Pays to be prepared and what use are more free RCCL pictures anyway?

Emdee! You found this! Yeah! You are too kind...thank you! Lol, I really had a good laugh over the obit pic comment, but in general I found the Azamara travelers to be the kind of people who were not waiting to kick the bucket before they polish off their bucket list...living each day like its the last! A pretty good philosophy, I think!

What are you up to next?

Thanks Cinnamon! I had fun writing it! We really enjoyed our Azamara cruise, I am just about at the point of planning the next one (Adriatic on Quest in Oct 2017) hoping it's a "go" now that it's almost one year out. Dora was great, we enjoyed her tour, but I wish we had more time in port! Enjoy the rest, and follow us on Twitter, FB and our website, where we write about all our travels, not just the cruises!

Just finished, a great read.

We love Azamara, having cruised twice on Quest, but unfortunately the prices are mostly too high for us. However, we are booked in an Outside cabin on a Repo, the Eastbound Transatlantic on April 2nd, our Ruby wedding Anniversary. Now just need to decide where to have dinner on the first evening onboard to celebrate.

• 2 weeks later...

Great review with lots of useful information. We were booked on this cruise and cancelled last year We are rebooked for Jan 15, 2017 on Quest for almost identical itinerary and planning our excursions again. Your info about the canal options was very helpful.

Great review with lots of useful information. We were booked on this cruise and cancelled last year We are rebooked for Jan 15, 2017 on Quest for almost identical itinerary and planning our excursions again. Your info about the canal options was very helpful.

Yes, I think I remember you folks from the RC...hopefully, this one is a "go"! Thanks for your kind words...I found the PC options to be confusing, I asked sooo many questions of the experts on the port boards and Trip advisor! I finally got it all sorted and picked the right stuff to make the most of our time and do exactly what we hoped to do while there. We had a great tour thanks to fellow passenger, Pam who found Rudi! But I think it was hard to even sort out exactly what each of the ships tours did and where they went. I'm glad my review of the options was helpful!

Have a great cruise!

• 8 months later...

Hello! We are cruising with Azamara for the first time this summer and I've been combing the boards for a good idea of what to expect --so happy I found your review! Looking forward to settling in and reading!! Thanks in advance!

Hi Familygoboston,

I noticed your other post, and I'm glad you're sharing your blog with us. I plan to post a reply in the other thread.... but please do not hesitate to use the alert triangle, if you feel anything requires my immediate attention.

A couple of interesting tidbits : Did you know that Azamara Quest's name when she belonged to Pullmantur (prior to Azamara), was Blue Moon ?

Looking forward to your future installments !

She was orginally the "R7" when part of the Renissance cruise line - bankrupt right after 9/11 We sailed on her sister "R2" in 2000

Hello! We are cruising with Azamara for the first time this summer and I've been combing the boards for a good idea of what to expect --so happy I found your review! Looking forward to settling in and reading!! Thanks in advance!

I do hope it's helpful! I know I like reading all about the ship before I sail, and it gives me a good idea about what to expect! Hope you enjoy your cruise!

I loved reading your review. We are going on this ship from Sydney next March and it was lovely to see and hear all about it. Thank you.

Thank you for reading! We have another cruise on Azamara Quest in the Adriatic in Oct and I plan to do another review! I think they are fun to write and they seem to helpful, seems people like reading, it as it keeps turning up every so often!! :D

Thank you for reading! We have another cruise on Azamara Quest in the Adriatic in Oct and I plan to do another review! I think they are fun to write and they seem to helpful, seems people like reading, it as it keeps turning up every so often!! :D

I enjoyed reading your review. We took our first Azamara cruise last month and I compared it to Celebrity here. http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2477526

Another cruiser suggested magnets to hold the shower curtain in place, which we will try on our next Azamara cruise.:)

I enjoyed reading your review. We took our first Azamara cruise last month and I compared it to Celebrity here. http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2477526

Another cruiser suggested magnets to hold the shower curtain in place, which we will try on our next Azamara cruise.:)

Magnets are very useful for securing invitations etc . . . unfortunately, about the only place they will stick and hold anything following the refurbishment is the main door of the stateroom because of the textured wallpaper. :(

Magnets are very useful for securing invitations etc . . . unfortunately, about the only place they will stick and hold anything following the refurbishment is the main door of the stateroom because of the textured wallpaper. :(

We used magnets on our cabin walls to hold our sunhats (Journey, Nov/Dec 2016). Very strong magnets, but worked great!

We used magnets on our cabin walls to hold our sunhats (Journey, Nov/Dec 2016). Very strong magnets, but worked great!

They must be super strong . . . we use Azamara magnets which are stronger than any others we have, but they slid down the wall.

• 1 month later...

Thanks for the great Journey review and especially for so many excellent photos to move the narrative along. I look forward to reading your October trip on the Quest.

I have a 5 day hold on an aft VX cabin (7116) on the Journey for a Cuba cruise in January 2019 and am reading as much as I can on Azamara and nothing is more helpful than photo reviews from a passenger, avoiding the hyperbole of the line's promos and TA videos with their merry jazz soundtracks and smooth voiceovers.

See you in October!

Norris

Thanks for the great Journey review and especially for so many excellent photos to move the narrative along. I look forward to reading your October trip on the Quest.

I have a 5 day hold on an aft VX cabin (7116) on the Journey for a Cuba cruise in January 2019 and am reading as much as I can on Azamara and nothing is more helpful than photo reviews from a passenger, avoiding the hyperbole of the line's promos and TA videos with their merry jazz soundtracks and smooth voiceovers.

See you in October!

Norris

Ya never know, I might add a jazz track to my next review:') That's why I write and hubby photographs; besides being a fun way to relive our travels, we find user reviews very helpful when planning our our trips, and enjoy paying it forward. Of course we will have a full review of our Oct trip in the Adriatic and Italy!

Now, onto your trip to Cuba- I think you will not regret booking. I was very impressed with the lecturer on board, admittedly a sample of one, but I felt well prepared for the destination, and you need some prep for Cuba. We did a land trip (detailed in several posts in our blog under Cuba if you want to learn more about the destination.) While the land trip was excellent and we went just shortly after Obama opened things up and there were not the numbers going that there are today, if I were to return, would cruise. I've discovered that since Cuba has opened to tourism, that food supplies for ordinary people have become unavailable and or unaffordable :( I feel recommend a cruise as one of the more responsible ways to see the island country because your food travels with you, and you won't be taking as much food from the island.

Also, as you'll see in my reports, Cuba is not set up with tourist infra structure the way other Caribbean islands would be, so depending on how comfortable with "roughing it" you are, (we lost power in the "best" hotel frequently) by cruising, you are assured all the comforts of the ship and can experience the culture and scenery.

Also, bring cash for art work and music, both are AMAZING, (as are rum and cigars, tho I didn't try them) rarely marketed outside of Cuba, and there are very few places (none I saw) that can accept a credit card. I have a whole section on the money....it hasn't changed too much, but I'm sure your port lecturer will give you the most current info. Bring cash, exchange to Cuban Convertible Currency, (special tourist dollars tied to the US dolllar) only what you need, there's no changing it back!

I hope you do book...I think you will have an experience of a lifetime.

See you "onboard"our Oct review! Thanks!

I loved your review of the Journey - alas I had to cancel a cruise on it after a third back operation!

But I looked at your Cuba adventures (and tips) as I think we will be there in November on the Quest - dependent on DT's speech tomorrow. This would be our third voyage on the Quest which we love!

Azamara did send out a message today about tomorrow's speech and that it is making contingent plans depending on what DT says.

Thanks again for your postings - really great!

I loved your review of the Journey - alas I had to cancel a cruise on it after a third back operation!

But I looked at your Cuba adventures (and tips) as I think we will be there in November on the Quest - dependent on DT's speech tomorrow. This would be our third voyage on the Quest which we love!

Azamara did send out a message today about tomorrow's speech and that it is making contingent plans depending on what DT says.

Thanks again for your postings - really great!

RC is a big company, with a big lobbying budget, im sure they got people on it. :') In any case, thanks for reading! Good luck with your cruise!

Ya never know, I might add a jazz track to my next review:') That's why I write and hubby photographs; besides being a fun way to relive our travels, we find user reviews very helpful when planning our our trips, and enjoy paying it forward. Of course we will have a full review of our Oct trip in the Adriatic and Italy!

Now, onto your trip to Cuba- I think you will not regret booking. I was very impressed with the lecturer on board, admittedly a sample of one, but I felt well prepared for the destination, and you need some prep for Cuba. We did a land trip (detailed in several posts in our blog under Cuba if you want to learn more about the destination.) While the land trip was excellent and we went just shortly after Obama opened things up and there were not the numbers going that there are today, if I were to return, would cruise. I've discovered that since Cuba has opened to tourism, that food supplies for ordinary people have become unavailable and or unaffordable :( I feel recommend a cruise as one of the more responsible ways to see the island country because your food travels with you, and you won't be taking as much food from the island.

Also, as you'll see in my reports, Cuba is not set up with tourist infra structure the way other Caribbean islands would be, so depending on how comfortable with "roughing it" you are, (we lost power in the "best" hotel frequently) by cruising, you are assured all the comforts of the ship and can experience the culture and scenery.

Also, bring cash for art work and music, both are AMAZING, (as are rum and cigars, tho I didn't try them) rarely marketed outside of Cuba, and there are very few places (none I saw) that can accept a credit card. I have a whole section on the money....it hasn't changed too much, but I'm sure your port lecturer will give you the most current info. Bring cash, exchange to Cuban Convertible Currency, (special tourist dollars tied to the US dolllar) only what you need, there's no changing it back!

I hope you do book...I think you will have an experience of a lifetime.

See you "onboard"our Oct review! Thanks!

Hi again. We waited until we had a clearer idea of the Trump plans and are going ahead with the booking as we are keen to see Cuba and want to expand on our current cruise line choices (both brilliant) of Princess and Celebrity.

We are happy with the food and service, entertainment-everything on those ships and also like the small ship experience as we've been on the Ocean Princess in an aft suite. Sorrento was the first place I saw an Azamara ship from our balcony on it's sister the Ocean Princess...

15662149032_09380b5314_b.jpg

We were just dropping anchor for the day, exploring Pompeii while she was lifting it after spending the night off shore. Hey! I want to do that! I hate leaving port when the lights go on. Let the other ships leave... I want dinner or a concert on shore!

Hence Azamara. Much research.

Cuba we were already interested in via the Buena Vista Social Club band and all the Cuban bands that came out of the woodwork and visited Chicago over the past 15 years or so. I'm not a cigar smoker although I love the smell of them but I am a rum drinker. Mainly I am just curious about a land where time and progress has stood still, so to speak, for 50 years,as exemplified in the classic American cars because they are driven through necessity as the supply was turned off so long ago. We feel it is somewhere that has to be seen and experienced and shared together.

Thank your husband for the photos! I do the writing and photography ( using 5 to 6 cameras and a few lenses) and she does the planning and relaxing. She (Carol) has only been aware of the name Azamara from reading my reviews where it often gets a mention as a "possible third option" and now that is to become reality and our curiosity satisfied. But it's over 500 days away and we have other cruises in the meantime. Land vacations too.

We will happily get CCCs and spend money ashore and take some Az excursions. Is that currency something you can get in your bank or has to be bought when in Cuba, do you know?

Thanks for your comments, advice and encouragement!

Norris, the grateful.

Hi Norris,

Sounds like you will have an amazing experience in Cuba then...I was pleased to hear that Azamara has received assurances it can go forwards with its itineraries. I just saw a copy of the text of an email from a friend who is booked. I felt we did help people by being there, buying CDs and art with money that has high value for them, and generally just spreading some hope for a different next 50 years! We saw so many young Cubans wearing American flags, they are anxious for something different!

As for CUC, they can only be purchased in Cuba. You can do it at the cruise terminal, or any place that offers official money exchange. Three points: 1- follow Azamaras instructions about where to exchange, black market exchanges are harshly dealt with (Americans will probably be ok, but its harsh for Cubans if caught) 2- there will be a hefty percentage charged by the government, but since all the exchange places are run by the government it's the same everywhere. 3- only change what you'll need, as you go along each day because it's worthless outside Cuba and to change it back (if you are allowed at all) they will charge you the same percentage AGAIN. As an idea, a bottle of water from a street vendor 1 CUC, a CD 10 CUC, artwork we bought silk screen posters for about 10-15 CUC each and small handiworks and art from locals for 3-8 CUC. dinner at one of the finest places- chicken dish with 4-6 breasts on it was 6 CUC, a beef dish was 8 CUC.

Hope this gives you an idea of costs so you know how much to exchange. Also, we brought toiletries from our hotels, pens and hair accessories to give away to people we met and chatted with as "gifts". These are hard to come by in Cuba, and I was happy to pass them along as gifts and telling them, "I can't take these with me on the plane, would you like them? "

Have a fun cruise!

Is that currency something you can get in your bank or has to be bought when in Cuba, do you know?

You get your tourist moneys only in Cuba (CUC) usually at the dock terminal. Great reading in CC - Carribean>Cuba section.