Hair dryers

Jenna109

Thank you - no need to pack my own. I appreciate your help

Actually, if they are the same as previously..... take your own!!! They are the sort where you have to hold down the switch while you use it......or as some suggest fit a rubber band to hold down the switch......crap....why do they not supply a proper normal hairdryer.

It is 1 of my pet hates...hair dryers not fit for purpose when it costs no more to supply a decent hairdryer.

PACK your own!

No nozzles on them either, so if you need a strong hairdryer, take your own...:rolleyes:

But if it is a GHD dryer, the ships electrics do not support its power needs so you get a pathetic puff only

Actually, if they are the same as previously..... take your own!!! They are the sort where you have to hold down the switch while you use it......or as some suggest fit a rubber band to hold down the switch......crap....why do they not supply a proper normal hairdryer.

It is 1 of my pet hates...hair dryers not fit for purpose when it costs no more to supply a decent hairdryer.

PACK your own!

Thank you - change of plan - really hate having to hold the switch. I will take my own.

PACK your own!

Many European hotels have the same button kill switch. It's impossible to juggle the hairdryer and a brush. It seems as though the 220v dryers are not as powerful as the ones we are used to.

Let me start by saying I have a thing about hairdryers !!!!!!! It's 1 of the things I would want on a desert island....how sad is that??

I always take my own and I find that the European socket gives more power than the US style socket.

I have a travel hairdryer which has good power, the handle fold in and it is quite light....compact.

In a perfect world I would prefer not to have to take my own but the Az dryer for almost 3 weeks is a big no for me....and of course we are staying on in Montreal & Iceland afterwards.

If you aren't particularly bothered then the Az dryer will probably be ok for you.

Joyce

The hairdryer is fine, it's just slow if you have long hair. I would love them to have more powerful dryers but I believe it's also a ships electricity issue and not a Steiner conspiracy theory as one guest tried to argue with me last cruise.

But if it is a GHD dryer, the ships electrics do not support its power needs so you get a pathetic puff only

I have just found this out in my 4th June cruise.

It's the first time I have ever packed my own hair dryer, but I love my GHD one because it dries my hair so fast at home.

I plugged it in with great expectations, but alas! Just a pathetic puff, as you say.

Even the ships one dried my hair faster and that still took over an hour!

I don't think I will take my own again 😀

Let me start by saying I have a thing about hairdryers !!!!!!! It's 1 of the things I would want on a desert island....how sad is that??

I always take my own and I find that the European socket gives more power than the US style socket.

I have a travel hairdryer which has good power, the handle fold in and it is quite light....compact.

In a perfect world I would prefer not to have to take my own but the Az dryer for almost 3 weeks is a big no for me....and of course we are staying on in Montreal & Iceland afterwards.

If you aren't particularly bothered then the Az dryer will probably be ok for you.

Joyce

Hi Joyce,

Just noticed you are staying over in Iceland. We were there a couple of years ago on a Celebrity cruise. Just want to give you a couple of tips if you are going to the Blue Lagoon. Book your tickets on line if there are any cruise ships in port. I had loads of OBC so used it for ships tours - normally a no no for us. Thankfully we did, as Celebrity had booked all the tickets for that day and people without tickets were not being allowed in.

Do take care with the mud! One of our passengers damaged her eyes and there were serious concerns.

On saying all that we had a wonderful time. We also met a couple who are joining us on our 9th Sept cruise to Canada. I think you are also on this cruise - we can get together if you wish

Hi Joyce,

Just noticed you are staying over in Iceland. We were there a couple of years ago on a Celebrity cruise. Just want to give you a couple of tips if you are going to the Blue Lagoon. Book your tickets on line if there are any cruise ships in port. I had loads of OBC so used it for ships tours - normally a no no for us. Thankfully we did, as Celebrity had booked all the tickets for that day and people without tickets were not being allowed in.

Do take care with the mud! One of our passengers damaged her eyes and there were serious concerns.

On saying all that we had a wonderful time. We also met a couple who are joining us on our 9th Sept cruise to Canada. I think you are also on this cruise - we can get together if you wish

Hi Jenna, Thanks for that. Yes, it would be good to have a chat about Iceland. We have booked the full day Golden Circle tour and TUkTuk tour around Reykjavic . They were recommended by our apartment owner. We are there 2 nights. We decided we would be pushing it to do Blue Lagoon too especially after reading some negative reviews!

BYW, re hairdryers again(!) some folks take a rubber band and keep the switch down that way...don't know how well it works though.

What's GHD? I've never taken my own, and I don't want to start now, especially since I'd have to lug it around on land, and find a power converter for it. Are they really that bad?

GHD (short for Good Hair Day) is a brand of hair products. I have a straightener that I take everywhere. I found the Azamara dryer to be fine for drying my hair (it was located in the bathroom under the sink, but that was pre-drydock, so I imagine it would be found somewhere else now). It was light years ahead of the pathetic wall mounted one you'll find on a Princess ship. On those ships I bring my own.

• 4 weeks later...

Just returned from 2 BtoB on Quest. The hairdryer was a huge problem for me. The provided hair dryer has a small round button that requires about 10 to 15 pounds pressure to keep down and connected so the hairdryer can operate. I have arthritis in my hands and found this extremely painful to use.

As with many posters my own hairdryer would not operate on the ship system. I see a few posters have had success, please post your brand.

I did file a complaint with the ship and received a less than satisfactory "that's too bad, we'll tell corporate" response.

I have used hairdryers which require button hold down that were not painful to use as they required no pressure really to make the button operate, just the actual connect and the button was lozenge shaped which allows for you to use your finger around the handle to manage and maintain the connection.

For those of you who do not suffer from this disability, the use of pushing down with a finger is contraindicated, it does actually put a lot of pressure on the small joints of the hand.

As the cruises were around the UK, I managed with this periodic discomfort. If this had been a sunshine vacation where I used the pool daily I don't think I would have been able to manage.

Just returned from 2 BtoB on Quest. The hairdryer was a huge problem for me. The provided hair dryer has a small round button that requires about 10 to 15 pounds pressure to keep down and connected so the hairdryer can operate. I have arthritis in my hands and found this extremely painful to use.

As with many posters my own hairdryer would not operate on the ship system. I see a few posters have had success, please post your brand.

I did file a complaint with the ship and received a less than satisfactory "that's too bad, we'll tell corporate" response.

I have used hairdryers which require button hold down that were not painful to use as they required no pressure really to make the button operate, just the actual connect and the button was lozenge shaped which allows for you to use your finger around the handle to manage and maintain the connection.

For those of you who do not suffer from this disability, the use of pushing down with a finger is contraindicated, it does actually put a lot of pressure on the small joints of the hand.

As the cruises were around the UK, I managed with this periodic discomfort. If this had been a sunshine vacation where I used the pool daily I don't think I would have been able to manage.

Hi ccotting,

You make an interesting point. I have forwarded your comments to our shoreside Hotel Management.

I have a UK hairdryer with 3 pin plug that I take with me. If I Use use a European adaptor in the 2 pin round socket my hairdryer works great. I did try with the US socket and nothing at all!!

Is it possible to put a rubber band over the switch to hold it down?

That's what I've read here before, and subsequently put "thick rubber band" on my packing list :D

It's a pain in the butt, (or wrist/finger, as the case may be) however. I guess it's done to prevent overheating by a device unintentionally left on? Wonder what other solutions there might be....

Is it possible to put a rubber band over the switch to hold it down?

We certainly thought about using what we Canadians refer to as the 'Red Green' solution. Which is to say, duct taping the button on. Red Green is a Canadian comedian with many duct tape routines and something of a legend.

You do need a fair pressure to hold the button down, I am not sure if a rubber band would work well, duct tape would be effective though.

The button is mean't as a safety feature so the hairdryer can't be left on and the mere fact we are hearing that people actually plan in their packing to circumvent it means it isn't working....

I have cruised extensively and never had to worry about my hair dryer. This is the first ship where it didn't work. I have no problem with the ship attempting to ensure any provided electronics maximize safety but I do also think this is a disability access issue. If they are providing electronics, there should be something suitable for those of us with arthritis in the hands. There are a huge number of us in the post 55 age group.....

I was frustrated with the hair dryer but also extremely disappointed in the lack of empathy and effectiveness in guest service response.