Azamara v Regent

capegirl

While we do love Azamara the Regent Seven Seas cruise we did on the Mariner was absolutely my favorite. Others may have other opinions but for me none of the cruises we have been on could compare to the Mariner. :D

While we do love Azamara the Regent Seven Seas cruise we did on the Mariner was absolutely my favorite. Others may have other opinions but for me none of the cruises we have been on could compare to the Mariner. :D

Interested to know what made it so special? Was it the itinerary or was there something special about life onboard

could you please give reasons. service,food, cabin, drinks etc. I know they have a smoking room but do they still allow smoking in the bar with the piano.

could you please give reasons. service,food, cabin, drinks etc. I know they have a smoking room but do they still allow smoking in the bar with the piano.

The smoking room on Navigator has been removed, thankfully. Navigator's captain would close his announcements with "see you around the ship" but the only place you could see him was the old smoking room. Guess you'd never see him now.

Regent ships have bigger staterooms. Other than that, nothing special about the cruise line. Spent seven weeks combined on Mariner and Navigator. Senior officers invisible and unresponsive. Won't go back.

The smoking room on Navigator has been removed, thankfully. Navigator's captain would close his announcements with "see you around the ship" but the only place you could see him was the old smoking room. Guess you'd never see him now.

Regent ships have bigger staterooms. Other than that, nothing special about the cruise line. Spent seven weeks combined on Mariner and Navigator. Senior officers invisible and unresponsive. Won't go back.

friend just did Regent for the ports in Greenland.. he had tours cancel but never a word about the food or shows.

I have found outside AZ the officers never are around or talk to you. on Celebrity i might see them get a coffee on deck 5.

I have done one Regent and one Oceania outside the cabin was like who cares.. thought Oceania food at the time over rated. regent i liked the cheese trolley and port. heard that is gone.

As a veteran Regent cruiser, we have not yet been on Mariner for some reason.

We will be in Jan/Feb of next year. And our first Azamara will be this September, in Rome. So next spring I can tell you, lol.

I do love Voyager, sister ship to Mariner. Love the big cabins. You need a suite on Azamara to start approximating that size--Mariner suites are a bit smaller, but still spacious. Although the ships are about the same size, the passenger to space ratio is better on Regent, I believe.

Ambience on the Regent ships is awesome--included alcohol of most kinds has helped with that a lot in recent years. I am hoping it will be relaxed and friendly on Azamara. We will see.

Edited by Wendy The Wanderer

I have found outside AZ the officers never are around or talk to you. on Celebrity i might see them get a coffee on deck 5.

I can understand this on a ship with 2000 to 5000 passengers but Navigator has fewer than 400, so no excuse.

You could have a conversation with the cruise director one day and the next she'd walk past you as if you weren't there. The hotel director would show up in a restaurant with one or two young women from his staff and eat and leave without acknowledging any passengers in the room.

We left a note for Navigator's hotel director with a suggestion to provide cold drinks and chilled towels upon return to the dock (in the steamy Amazon!) and never got drinks, towels, or a response until he was replaced in Manaus by a hotel director who usually worked on Oceania. We approached him in the specialty dining room to raise the subject, and for two or three ports were given drinks and towels...but then nothing after that.

The only person on board who consistently recognized us as individuals (it was a 24-day cruise, so plenty of time) was the maitre d' in the steakhouse who also was the host at lunch in the main dining room.

Don't get me started on their "included" flights. Connecting flights with a two-and-a-half hour layover on what should have been a three-hour direct flight between major cities. Six stars? I don't think so.

As a veteran Regent cruiser, we have not yet been on Mariner for some reason.

We will be in Jan/Feb of next year. And our first Azamara will be this September, in Rome. So next spring I can tell you, lol.

I do love Voyager, sister ship to Mariner. Love the big cabins. You need a suite on Azamara to start approximating that size--Mariner suites are a bit smaller, but still spacious. Although the ships are about the same size, the passenger to space ratio is better on Regent, I believe.

Ambience on the Regent ships is awesome--included alcohol of most kinds has helped with that a lot in recent years. I am hoping it will be relaxed and friendly on Azamara. We will see.

Azamara- the drinks on AZ are mostly well drinks.. i do not pay for a package -prefer to sign for the 2 or 3 drinks a day. somedays never around to drink. cabins are smaller.. the CC suite on paper is smaller than a PH on Regent. i done one regent cruise and i feel that the regent cabin was bigger. space in cabin or in general.

I can understand this on a ship with 2000 to 5000 passengers but Navigator has fewer than 400, so no excuse.

You could have a conversation with the cruise director one day and the next she'd walk past you as if you weren't there. The hotel director would show up in a restaurant with one or two young women from his staff and eat and leave without acknowledging any passengers in the room.

We left a note for Navigator's hotel director with a suggestion to provide cold drinks and chilled towels upon return to the dock (in the steamy Amazon!) and never got drinks, towels, or a response until he was replaced in Manaus by a hotel director who usually worked on Oceania. We approached him in the specialty dining room to raise the subject, and for two or three ports were given drinks and towels...but then nothing after that.

The only person on board who consistently recognized us as individuals (it was a 24-day cruise, so plenty of time) was the maitre d' in the steakhouse who also was the host at lunch in the main dining room.

Don't get me started on their "included" flights. Connecting flights with a two-and-a-half hour layover on what should have been a three-hour direct flight between major cities. Six stars? I don't think so.

I always pay for my own air. easier for me. how was the hotel they put you up in vs booking on your own?

I will post in 3 weeks time as we are taking our first Regebt cruise on Voyager next week

Thanks! They seem to have some interesting cruises i coming up. wish we had more info. used them years ago bit was the smaller ship with a smoking allowed near the piano in bar.

Not any one thing stands out to make me like Regent Seven Seas so much, but the over all experience was great.....maybe the food was a notch above Azamara. Do not get me wrong, I absolutely love Azamara. As you can see in my signature below, we have been on many different cruise lines.

I am easily pleased when it comes to wine..........as long as it is red and dry and does not taste like vinegar I can drink it. Can you say 'cheap date'. Well not really true, while I can drink the cheap stuff, I tend to have several glasses.

We have found that the Azamara officers are always out and about, often stopping to chat with passengers. Two that we especially like are Captain Carl and Captain Jose. A lot of times the cruise is what you make of it.