The two ship fleet forces me to another line :=(

cpgrneyes

A great itinerary is The Black Sea. We did this a few years ago & loved it. It is rather undiscovered by most Americans. We found it beautiful & oh, so interesting. Azamara, think about adding this at least once or twice a year.

We will be on our first Azamara TA in Sept. From London to Montreal. ️[emoji568][emoji715]

They did this for years and due to the [problems in Turkey etc it was long gone.. many of us were booked in 2015, 2016 and 2017 and found new cruises.. It is S America they need to go back to and do both coasts.. all i can think of is that with other cruiselines doing it -AZ felt they would not make money. i stil lsay LA to sydney since one ship keeps doing the canal each year.

Agreed and not every vacation needs to be on a cruise ship either.

Totally agree! We just did a three week land vacation in Italy and Paris which was fabulous, but not nearly as relaxing as a cruise.

Totally agree! We just did a three week land vacation in Italy and Paris which was fabulous, but not nearly as relaxing as a cruise.

Exactly, It is those tiring land vacations where you move around to several places that wear you out. It is a necessary way to travel, but it it makes us appreciate a relaxing cruise.:)

I think those who love Azamara, and we have been doing 3/4 a year since 2012, will disagree about being "fawned over" because that does not happen as all crew are pleasant, genuine and nice people who relate well to all passengers without the falseness created by looking for tips.

That is not to say that all is well with Azamara, as itineraries are now boring and repetitive, disrupted by lengthy charters, and accompanied by increasing fares and ageing ships which cumulatively are now making the line no longer attractive or competitive which is terribly sad.

As prices now approach the increasingly competitive "ultra luxury" cruise lines, devotion to Azamara becomes difficult, and as an example we have booked a lengthy cruise on such a line this autumn with a modern ship, roomy cabins, top shelf spirits, in room bar, no charge speciality restaurants, no tipping, etc., and at a cost significantly lower than the equivalent Azamara.

Come on Larry, time to revitalise your brand and distinguish Azamara as a market leader rather than trying to copy the established competition and chase prices.

********and abandon the "art" auctions******** they do not lie well with the Azamara ambience, and waste precious space.!!

As others have said, "lucky you". I've been to Tahiti 5 times and I tend to think that's quite a lot. But I could go back once a year if I could. Which brings me to my next comment below...

It's probably just like going back to a favourite resort over and over. You can treat the ship as the destination, not worry too much about excursions, relax in luxury for a week. And it's warm and sunny in the midst of a perhaps harsh winter. Not surprising at all. I go to my cottage (summer home) every year--I don't get tired of it.

Like button for Wendy!!

This is an interesting discussion! The wonderful travel blogger, Wendy Perrin blogged recently about the fact that Americans take vacations that can be restorative travel or relaxation travel. I loved that distinction, because some people are looking to restore, so of course familiar is relaxing! I use my summer home as my place to relax, others go to the same land resort or take a similar Caribbean or Med cruise each year.

Azamara advertises as "destination immersion" which to me means "exploration" rather than "relaxation"! I imagine that the repeats are meant to attract new cruisers to the line. People like me who might have an eye on an itinerary for more than a year before booking. I'm torn because The Venice to Rome itinerary I plan to do has been offered for years, and I've only been able to fit it in during 2017, so I'm glad it's still being offered! But once I've been somewhere, like others here, I'll either further explore on land, or try to go somewhere else. There are so many places I want to go, and limited time!

I do wish they would not offer itineraries until they have settled their charter schedule though. It's made me skittish about booking ahead and definitely causes me to spend more time shopping all the lines before booking.

This is an interesting discussion! The wonderful travel blogger, Wendy Perrin blogged recently about the fact that Americans take vacations that can be restorative travel or relaxation travel. I loved that distinction, because some people are looking to restore, so of course familiar is relaxing! I use my summer home as my place to relax, others go to the same land resort or take a similar Caribbean or Med cruise each year.

Azamara advertises as "destination immersion" which to me means "exploration" rather than "relaxation"! I imagine that the repeats are meant to attract new cruisers to the line. People like me who might have an eye on an itinerary for more than a year before booking. I'm torn because The Venice to Rome itinerary I plan to do has been offered for years, and I've only been able to fit it in during 2017, so I'm glad it's still being offered! But once I've been somewhere, like others here, I'll either further explore on land, or try to go somewhere else. There are so many places I want to go, and limited time!

I do wish they would not offer itineraries until they have settled their charter schedule though. It's made me skittish about booking ahead and definitely causes me to spend more time shopping all the lines before booking.

I just did a Rome to Venice cruise along with 2 others. some [ports were on each cruise.. others were once. a couple is;lands like Paros and others I could use more time in were offered once - Cofu not at all.. I can see going places twice but i do not need much more.. i am, doing the carribbean this cmas to be warm but then off to cuba and later fly to tahiti.

we need new ports.

I just did a Rome to Venice cruise along with 2 others. some [ports were on each cruise.. others were once. a couple is;lands like Paros and others I could use more time in were offered once - Cofu not at all.. I can see going places twice but i do not need much more.. i am, doing the carribbean this cmas to be warm but then off to cuba and later fly to tahiti.

we need new ports.

Can't wait to see Venice- this will be a first! We've just been to Cuba last spring and ive also been to FP- lots of photos on our website! Anyway, I'm always looking for unusual places to see!

• 2 weeks later...

Sadly, we too have "jumped ship" because of same old same old itineraries. We love Azamara and know that we'll likely not have the same on board experience with a different cruiseline. However, we travel to see new places and experience new things. So in 2017 we're off to Iceland and Greenland as part of a cruise and our friends (who often cruise with us) are off to the Amazon. Both these destinations would be perfect for a small ship such as Quest or Journey. Maybe we'll be ready for another Med cruise in a couple of years but would much rather see something new. We like to mix up our vacations...cruise sometimes and land other times. I hope that 2019 brings some real destination innovation.

Sadly, we too have "jumped ship" because of same old same old itineraries. We love Azamara and know that we'll likely not have the same on board experience with a different cruiseline. However, we travel to see new places and experience new things. So in 2017 we're off to Iceland and Greenland as part of a cruise and our friends (who often cruise with us) are off to the Amazon. Both these destinations would be perfect for a small ship such as Quest or Journey. Maybe we'll be ready for another Med cruise in a couple of years but would much rather see something new. We like to mix up our vacations...cruise sometimes and land other times. I hope that 2019 brings some real destination innovation.

Funny, you are going to Greenland as a friend just did a Regent. cruise that took him to Greenland- Iceland. I have a future cruise book on one that gives me several new ports in S America including the Amazon.

Seabourn just announced a new, restrictive, Smoking Policy that adds them to my list to check for future itineraries.

YEA! never been on them but after I heard someone complain she could not smoke on her balcony- i would love to see every cruiseline have one tiny spot to smoke and not near a door.

Seabourn just announced a new, restrictive, Smoking Policy that adds them to my list to check for future itineraries.

Yes that's great news. I don't think of them as an Azamara competitor though. Much more luxurious (every cabin has a tub and a shower, two sinks, walk in closet, etc.), more inclusive (premium wines and spirits) and more expensive :)

YEA! never been on them but after I heard someone complain she could not smoke on her balcony- i would love to see every cruiseline have one tiny spot to smoke and not near a door.

That is impossible!

1. If you stick it in the middle of a space you need a much larger area

2. A door limits smoke spread, and being fire retardant would play an important containment role if a problem arose

So taking Azamara as an example exactly where would you put it? I think they have it just right.

Yes that's great news. I don't think of them as an Azamara competitor though. Much more luxurious (every cabin has a tub and a shower, two sinks, walk in closet, etc.), more inclusive (premium wines and spirits) and more expensive :)

Price-wise, it just depends... we ended up on Seabourn May 2015 for Venice, Croatia, some lesser visited Greek ports and Athens. Why? Because the Seabourn cruise was actually cheaper-- not the identical ports, of course-- AZ had more in Croatia, which is what we'd wanted, but the Seabourn itinerary was good, too, although more of the 8am- 5pm port type stays. And yes, on Seabourn, we loved having a tub AND a shower and the two sinks, bigger closet, etc. When on AZ, we do get a Club Continent suite (nice to have more room and go to the specialty restaurants "gratis" -- and we specifically now book a suite that has the tub/shower combo. Will be on AZ Journey in Asia for this Christmas, looking forward to it. But will now always check both lines, as we like smaller ships. Seabourn has been discounting heavily.

As the OP here, I'm very happy to report that we're back to Azamara. They had to recent combinable promotions for a good itinerary that made the cost more more competitive. When I put together a spreadsheet comparing the AZ and O trips, we looked at them and both felt we liked the cost savings, but even more, we wanted to be back onboard with the fabulous team at AZ.

It's hard to put a value on things such as White Nights, Azamazing Evenings, smiling at the Captain as you regularly see him onboard - even the welcome homes from the security team.

The two promotions are likely due to the uncertainties people feel traveling to Europe, and I'll be closely watching prices to see if they drop further. I believe that more and more people will travel closer to home in the foreseeable future.

Funny, you are going to Greenland as a friend just did a Regent. cruise that took him to Greenland- Iceland. I have a future cruise book on one that gives me several new ports in S America including the Amazon.

How funny, Robin. Which cruiseline are you on for Amazon? Our friends are trying out Viking Ocean. Almost booked with them, but didn't want to be away during holiday season.

How funny, Robin. Which cruiseline are you on for Amazon? Our friends are trying out Viking Ocean. Almost booked with them, but didn't want to be away during holiday season.

This for 2018 but it is Regent. took it as it is RT Mia. easy flight home. will go down early due to a chance of snow. It all over both coasts and I never seen the other coast.

As the OP here, I'm very happy to report that we're back to Azamara. They had to recent combinable promotions for a good itinerary that made the cost more more competitive. When I put together a spreadsheet comparing the AZ and O trips, we looked at them and both felt we liked the cost savings, but even more, we wanted to be back onboard with the fabulous team at AZ.

It's hard to put a value on things such as White Nights, Azamazing Evenings, smiling at the Captain as you regularly see him onboard - even the welcome homes from the security team.

The two promotions are likely due to the uncertainties people feel traveling to Europe, and I'll be closely watching prices to see if they drop further. I believe that more and more people will travel closer to home in the foreseeable future.

I'm so happy to read this cpgrneyes! We are all happy you're coming home!

I think those who love Azamara, and we have been doing 3/4 a year since 2012, will disagree about being "fawned over" because that does not happen as all crew are pleasant, genuine and nice people who relate well to all passengers without the falseness created by looking for tips.

That is not to say that all is well with Azamara, as itineraries are now boring and repetitive, disrupted by lengthy charters, and accompanied by increasing fares and ageing ships which cumulatively are now making the line no longer attractive or competitive which is terribly sad.

As prices now approach the increasingly competitive "ultra luxury" cruise lines, devotion to Azamara becomes difficult, and as an example we have booked a lengthy cruise on such a line this autumn with a modern ship, roomy cabins, top shelf spirits, in room bar, no charge speciality restaurants, no tipping, etc., and at a cost significantly lower than the equivalent Azamara.

Come on Larry, time to revitalise your brand and distinguish Azamara as a market leader rather than trying to copy the established competition and chase prices.

********and abandon the "art" auctions******** they do not lie well with the Azamara ambience, and waste precious space.!!

I agree. I do love Azamara and will continue sailing with them as much I can but offers from other cruise lines which include unlimited free internet, more OBC and other extras plus new ports are catching our attention.

Looking at the Itineraries for 2017 and 2018, we have difficulties deciding to cruise again if we have been there many times already.

Oceania is going this year to the Amazon. We were about to book it from Rio to Miami but decided for other options.

The two ships are most problematic for me over Christmas and New Year's. That's when I book a cruise every year and by now I've seen the Eastern Caribbean circle and Hong Kong to Singapore route Azamara offers every year. I won't be back for Christmas and New Year's until Quest's New Year's Eve in Sydney cruise in December 2018.

Edited by florisdekort

I won't be back for Christmas and New Year's until Quest's New Year's Eve in Sydney cruise in December 2018.

We'll see you onboard for that one!

I agree, the Nov/Dec 2017 options for Azamara are very dull. We opted for a Crystal river cruise over that time period, because nothing was catching our interest. It's a shame that we've had to put a hold on Azamara now for 2 years because other cruise lines are offering much more innovative itineraries.

Michael