Fitness activities on Azamara cruises?

Kingofcool1947

We are in our early 60's (healthy and without medical issues) and have only cruised with Princess and Celebrity. We are considering an Azamara 15 day TA. London to Quebec.

We enjoy fitness and excercise activites when cruising.

Does Azamara cruises offer Zumba, morning stretch workout program, have a walking/jogging track, and a well equipped fitness center? I enjoy lifting weights. Doe the fitness center have weights and fitness workout staff?

Does Azamara offer a daily "healthy choice" menu in their MDR?

Also, as non-smokers, and since smoking is allowed on Azamara balconies, is there much secondary smoke blowback on to other PAX balconies?

Edited by Kingofcool1947

We are in our early 60's (healthy and without medical issues) and have only cruised with Princess and Celebrity. We are considering an Azamara 15 day TA. London to Quebec.

Does Azamara cruises offer Zumba, morning stretch workout program, have a walking/jogging track, and a well equipped fitness center? I enjoy lifting weights. Doe the fitness center have weights and fitness workout staff?

Also, as non-smokers, and since smoking is allowed on Azamara balconies, is there much secondary smoke blowback on to other PAX balconies?

Hi,

The fitness center is small, but I can usually get a machine (treadmill, elliptical or stationary bike) without a wait, although I might not get my first choice. There are free weights, and several other exercise machines. There are classes. The schedule depend on your cruise (sea days vs. port days), but usually a morning stretch and afternoon Yoga, and spinning occasionally, no Zumba. Someone else can fill that in.

The outside track is very nice and just resurfaced. Many people use that throughout the day.

The new menu (as observed on my June cruise) has reduced selections, so it has dropped "the Healthy Choice" moniker that used to be displayed. There is always a fish, and the portions are small, which helps with eating smart.

OH and NO SMOKING on balconies. There is a one small starboard area near the pool bar that is the designated smoking. I usually walk on the port side and do not encounter any smoke.

I'm certain others can provide more detailed advice, but I can address a couple of your questions.

1/ Smoking is most definitely NOT allowed on the balconies. When we experienced that on our second last cruise the issue was expeditiously dealt with. There is a small smoking area on the pool deck and it has never been an issue to us nor very busy.

2/ There is a walking/jogging track, but obviously shorter than that of a larger ship.

3/ I would consider the fitness centre well-equipped, but others may differ. There is also some staffing of the area, but only at identified times.

4/ As for a daily "healthy choice" menu, if memory serves they do have items that would serve that purpose. They will also make a reasonable effort to meet your needs. For example, there is always a chicken or salmon dish which can be served without heavy sauces, and a vegetarian option.

Hope this helps and that others will clarify, correct or augment these comments.

Hi,

The fitness center is small, but I can usually get a machine (treadmill, elliptical or stationary bike) without a wait, although I might not get my first choice. There are free weights, and several other exercise machines. There are classes. The schedule depend on your cruise (sea days vs. port days), but usually a morning stretch and afternoon Yoga, and spinning occasionally, no Zumba. Someone else can fill that in.

The outside track is very nice and just resurfaced. Many people use that throughout the day.

OH and NO SMOKING on balconies. There is a one small starboard area near the pool bar that is the designated smoking. I usually walk on the port side and do not encounter any smoke.

In June they moved the smoking from the starboard side to the port. .so to go to the bathroom you either walk thru smoke or go in the other door and walk to the port side of the ship. . i hated it. .could smell more smoke in hallway as the crew uses the port side to get to the port side crew door. .just awful..

i use the track or treadmill depending on my mood and weather. the girl was around most of the day. .12 hour day so naturalyl she gets days off and time off.

The last 32 days I had on the Quest had a daily (at sea) Zumba class run by Jodie (activities staff) each day. I think it just depends who's onboard and if they can provide their specialty. Agreed with the other comments, the gym I think is quite good for the size of the ship. I always got the station that I was after without any issue.

Edited by aussie travel bird

I use the Fitness Center everyday while on board, mostly to ride the stationary bike. I've also used the free weights and their availability is comparable to most other cruise ships. There is generally a staff person on duty, plus others outside who work the spa but can come into the fitness center if needed. There are quite a few classes, stretching, etc. The Center is well-used, but generally far from full of people. It's one of my favorite things about AZ.

In June they moved the smoking from the starboard side to the port. .so to go to the bathroom you either walk thru smoke or go in the other door and walk to the port side of the ship. . i hated it. .could smell more smoke in hallway as the crew uses the port side to get to the port side crew door. .just awful..

i use the track or treadmill depending on my mood and weather. the girl was around most of the day. .12 hour day so naturalyl she gets days off and time off.

Just to tell the whole story, they moved the smoking area to the port side because of complaints by users of the Spa that the reception area being open plan smelled of smoke. It did. I commented on it. Once the smoking area was moved from starboard to port the spa didn't smell of smoke.

Phil

Edited by excitedofharpenden

Just to tell the whole story, they moved the smoking area to the port side because of complaints by users of the Spa that the reception area being open plan smelled of smoke. It did. I commented on it. Once the smoking area was moved from starboard to port the spa didn't smell of smoke.

Phil

Thanks Phil for the useful update - in the end of the day port or starboard does not really matter, they have to put it somewhere. As less guests go through the port side door the move they have made makes a lot of sense. It is a really minor inconvenience because it is so well contained on Azamara there only being one location anyway.

Edited by uktog

Phil

Thanks Phil for the useful update - in the end of the day port or starboard does not really matter, they have to put it somewhere. As less guests go through the port side door the move they have made makes a lot of sense. It is a really minor inconvenience because it is so well contained on Azamara there only being one location anyway.

Not sure what world you two live in but more people use the port doors as all the tiolets are port side on deck 9 but the handicap one.. i now use the starboard doors to walk to the bathroom or cabin.. not walking thru nasty smoke. nn, noiw more crew walk thru smoke too as they come and go to the crew door with bar supply's.. I feel for them. never smell smoke in the spa when I was there in March.

Problem is for non smokers, which we are, there is never going to be a right area and there is always going to be a compromise unless the whole ship is non smoking. Now while we wouldn't object to that I am sure many will, what the smoking area really needs is some form of extraction system and if memory serves me correctly there is already some form of ugly extraction ducting in that port side area or close by.

On a personal note for some reason we always use the starboard stairs up to deck 11 so moving smoking to the port side is ok with us.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Not sure what world you two live in but more people use the port doors as all the tiolets are port side on deck 9 but the handicap one.. i now use the starboard doors to walk to the bathroom or cabin.. not walking thru nasty smoke. nn, noiw more crew walk thru smoke too as they come and go to the crew door with bar supply's.. I feel for them. never smell smoke in the spa when I was there in March.

Sorry Robin. To say "not sure what world you two live in" is a very rude post. I was on the ship in April after the refurb and I smelled smoke in the spa. For the month I was on in May and June before the swap I smelled smoke. I spoke to the spa staff before the change and they said they had had complaints. After the swap I spoke to the crew and they said it was because of complaints about smoke in the spa reception area. There isn't much more I can do to explain it. A lot more people use the spa and spend time sitting in the reception area waiting for appointments than use the port side toilets and now for those wanting to avoid walking past the smoking area they walk starboard and across. The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few.

Phil

Hi, everyone. This thread reminds me I have been wanting to ask this question for a while: does anyone know whether the Pilates reformer is still available on the Journey (maybe the Quest has one too?) post refurb? I loved having that available to me and used it every morning.

The gym itself is good, has everything I think one would want for a workout: free weights, machines, cardio.

I just hope they didn't get rid of the reformer. It was old but still worked fine. I am on the Quest in September. I hope I find one!

Thanks in advance for any info.

Fern

I am a lifetime non smoker who really dislikes the smoking habit because of the health aspects.

However it does make me giggle when I see "militant non smokers" walk past a designated smoking area, pointedly coughing and flapping their hands to waft away that evil smoke in the very small designated smoking area.

Smoking really is not a problem on Azamara. No-one is allowed to smoke on their balcony....not so on other cruiselines.

I often think the "smoke police" are probably heading to a bar to drink a bottle of ouzo or wine or something similar....much more injurious to their health than quickly walking past a small group of smokers in the open air, who usually seem a rather happy and pleasant group of people. I should also add that I like a drink myself! :D

For me, I have always found the smoking group on Azamara to be polite, considerate of others and they follow the rules about where to smoke.

As for toilet access, well nowhere on Azamara is that far from a loo. 😄

If there is one place onboard that I would hope would NOT smell of smoke it is The Spa, so if the change in designated smoking location helps that happen, then that can only be good.

I must remember the new smoking deck location for the trivia quiz....it is often a question that is asked! 😄

I am a lifetime non smoker who really dislikes the smoking habit because of the health aspects.

However it does make me giggle when I see "militant non smokers" walk past a designated smoking area, pointedly coughing and flapping their hands to waft away that evil smoke in the very small designated smoking area.

Smoking really is not a problem on Azamara. No-one is allowed to smoke on their balcony....not so on other cruiselines.

I often think the "smoke police" are probably heading to a bar to drink a bottle of ouzo or wine or something similar....much more injurious to their health than quickly walking past a small group of smokers in the open air, who usually seem a rather happy and pleasant group of people. I should also add that I like a drink myself! :D

For me, I have always found the smoking group on Azamara to be polite, considerate of others and they follow the rules about where to smoke.

😄

Great points, especially about the rather congenial appearing and usually small group that uses the smoking area. We don't indulge, but glad to see they can enjoy their cruise. The infrequency of complaints of smoking elsewhere indicate their committment to being "good citizens" on board, despite the inconvenience.

If I may add, the smoking area and the art auction people are similar to us, in that we notice both momentarily upon boarding but very rarely afterwards.

Just to clarify, Princess, Celebrity, and Disney (just the ones I am aware of) do not allow smoking on balconies. (I'm not sure if you meant "all other cruiselines" or "some cruiselines.")

As for toilet access, well nowhere on Azamara is that far from a loo. 😄

If there is one place onboard that I would hope would NOT smell of smoke it is The Spa, so if the change in designated smoking location helps that happen, then that can only be good.

I must remember the new smoking deck location for the trivia quiz....it is often a question that is asked! 😄

Nice comments from Lottie, and I agree. The smokers on AZ are polite and unobtrusive, and they stay in the designated area with minimal smoke to disturb the other passengers. Sometimes they seem to be quite convivial and make up their own very social affinity group. Oh, and Lottie's reference to other cruise lines may be to Seabourn, which does allow smoking on stateroom balconies. Seabourn is somewhat of a competitor to AZ. Seabourn's liberal smoking policy (they also allow smoking in a beautiful observation lounge after 8 PM) is controversial and may be changed in the future.

Just to clarify, Princess, Celebrity, and Disney (just the ones I am aware of) do not allow smoking on balconies. (I'm not sure if you meant "all other cruiselines" or "some cruiselines.")

No, of course I did mean "some" other cruiselines.

Not wanting to hijack the OP's thread about fitness by meandering into a smoking thread, so I will be brief.

As far as I'm aware the cruiselines that allow smoking on balconies and some actually allow it in the cabin itself, are Holland America, Seabourn, Saga, Costa and Fred Olsen. Personally, I think Azamara has their policy just right.

Hi, everyone. This thread reminds me I have been wanting to ask this question for a while: does anyone know whether the Pilates reformer is still available on the Journey (maybe the Quest has one too?) post refurb? I loved having that available to me and used it every morning.

The gym itself is good, has everything I think one would want for a workout: free weights, machines, cardio.

I just hope they didn't get rid of the reformer. It was old but still worked fine. I am on the Quest in September. I hope I find one!

Thanks in advance for any info.

Fern

Hello fernem,

Yes there are still Pilates reformers on the ships, one on each.

Hi, Bonnie,

That is wonderful news! Having a Pilates reformer onboard was wonderful for me!

Thanks for letting me know. Now I am even more excited to take the Southampton to Montreal trip!