Tips

capegirl

I like to give tips to waiters who bring breakfast etc to our cabin. However am never sure if I should give sterling coins, in other words does the ship ever come to UK so the sterling can be used. I am aware they can change notes to other currencies, but I prefer to give coins.

I like to give tips to waiters who bring breakfast etc to our cabin. However am never sure if I should give sterling coins, in other words does the ship ever come to UK so the sterling can be used. I am aware they can change notes to other currencies, but I prefer to give coins.

I've always used $ bills for breakfast tips, the crew much prefer it.

I usually tip breakfast waiters with dollars and occasionally with euros but have never given them sterling coins.

The ships do come to UK ports but rather infrequently

Edited by Spursgirl

If I am in Europe and I am giving small tips I tip in Euros as I know the crew prefer that (many have told me so) as it gives them port spends without having to change money. I would not tip in Euros towards the end of the season in Europe though in case they are not likely to go ashore much before the ship moves.

I would never give them coin

If I am in Europe and I am giving small tips I tip in Euros as I know the crew prefer that (many have told me so) as it gives them port spends without having to change money. I would not tip in Euros towards the end of the season in Europe though in case they are not likely to go ashore much before the ship moves.

I would never give them coin

a coin is 2 Euros- not enough of a tip. my opinon.

I'd avoid coins because bulky carrying them round and if the crew want to change them rather than spend them the rate is awful if they can exchange them at all. If the ship us in Europe they are always appreciated because they can spend them off the ship for the hours off. The smallest €uro note is €5. USDs are appreciated as well.

Phil

a coin is 2 Euros- not enough of a tip. my opinon.

Lets not get into a tipping debate as to what is enough if indeed a tip is needed for a particular activity but if you are talking about a £1 coin, it is 1.2 Euros and there are in Europe the most common coin is 1 Euro coins which in shape and size are very like £ coins but they are not interchangeable as people can think.

As has been said coin exchange rate is awful if indeed you can change them, most Forex wont do them

Edited by uktog

Lets not get into a tipping debate as to what is enough if indeed a tip is needed for a particular activity but if you are talking about a £1 coin, it is 1.2 Euros and there are in Europe the most common coin is 1 Euro coins which in shape and size are very like £ coins but they are not interchangeable as people can think.

As has been said coin exchange rate is awful if indeed you can change them, most Forex wont do them

Yes, but two coins = €4.

Phil

do not want a tipping debate. just was concern when poster used the term "coin".. i know i most countries outside the state a coin is around a dollar. so i am am just saying I do not use coins..

also I found being in Ireland last year confusing as Northern Ireland is different than the pound you use. my English friends at the airport are using up coins as they never know when thy will be back.

I save mine for future trips. The smallest Euro is five and i always carry them so i would get less change

everytime i go to Europe i look for change in house and always find something i can use.

I find Euros easy to use and never knew until today that crew prefer Euros to $$. .i give $$ in case thy are saving the money or going home.

to the others many people do not tip extra- not needed too-other people tip extra.. personal choice.

We have never tipped anyone on Azamara - the tips are included and we take that at its word!

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Absolutely and when this subject has come up before Bonnie, the Azamara Chief Blogging Officer here has confirmed just that and that it isn't expected. It's a personal thing and the OP expressed that she liked to tip extra so was giving advice based on that.

Phil

also I found being in Ireland last year confusing as Northern Ireland is different than the pound you use. my English friends at the airport are using up coins as they never know when thy will be back.

I save mine for future trips. The smallest Euro is five and i always carry them so i would get less change

Someone was winding you up, Northern Ireland is part of the UK and their coins are equally valid, there are various designs of pound coins, a Scottish one, an English one, Welsh ones, Northern Ireland one. As I recall there are currently 23 different pound coin designs in circulation.

Southern Ireland uses the Euro, that certainly can confuse visitors traveling between the two parts

Presume the smallest Euro you are referring to is the 5 Euro note, just as our £5 is the smallest note we have

Giving to the Crew Welfare Fund is a much-appreciated alternative to tipping individual crew members. Can be done easily at the guest services desk.

The comments below are IF you want to give more, there is NO obligation to do so

Thanks I meant to say that, that is what we often do rather than small individual amounts- it is a really sensible thing to do if you are repeat cruisers, back to back and more. One lump sum rather than 3 x individual cruises extras would make a big difference to all. This fund pays for crew parties, stocks the dvd library they can borrow from, subsidises shore excursions etc and can be enjoyed by everyone on board. I find with the bar staff it is so hard to know who to give to individually they all look after us. Who would we tip.

Someone was winding you up, Northern Ireland is part of the UK and their coins are equally valid, there are various designs of pound coins, a Scottish one, an English one, Welsh ones, Northern Ireland one. As I recall there are currently 23 different pound coin designs in circulation.

Southern Ireland uses the Euro, that certainly can confuse visitors traveling between the two parts

Presume the smallest Euro you are referring to is the 5 Euro note, just as our £5 is the smallest note we have

I think the states in the only country i can remember that still has $1 vs a coin.. I get the notes down in most places. the coins by the time i have it down i moved on. this summer was easy as we used Euros. but i did go to Turkey and then mix up the Turkish one coin with the two Euro.. same size and just had both on me one day.

when I leave a country in Europe and I have coins of a different currency that I know I will probably not go to again ( krona in Baltics) If the ship is coming back to those ports, I give the "coins" to my waiters.

Not as a "tip" but because they may be able to use them....... Nobody has ever turned me down.

Money is money........ and as my Mommy always says, "its with coins that you make dollars".

I would not tip in Euros towards the end of the season in Europe though in case they are not likely to go ashore much before the ship moves.

Thanks for this reminder. Hadn't really thought about that.

Absolutely and when this subject has come up before Bonnie, the Azamara Chief Blogging Officer here has confirmed just that and that it isn't expected. It's a personal thing and the OP expressed that she liked to tip extra so was giving advice based on that.

Phil

This is true...tipping is included in the cruise fare.

But if someone wants to tip or gift an individual, I'm sure whatever is given will be accepted with surprise, and hopefully grace. And contributing to the crew welfare fund is always appreciated. They look out for one another so sometimes besides being used for recreation the fund can be used to help a crew member in need.

Thank for tell us about the crew welfare fund. Last year we had outstanding service from many, many staff and whilst it was easy to add extra in the Resturant and for our butler etc we would have been delighted to give a donation to a fund.

What is a customary tip in Aqualina and Prime C? At the end of the meal, we are presented with a bill with a line for a tip even though there are no charges. We haven't eaten in the MDR in several years so I don't know if that is also the procedure there. When we were on Oceania, we were not presented with a bill in the specialty restaurants when there were no charges.

What is a customary tip in Aqualina and Prime C? At the end of the meal, we are presented with a bill with a line for a tip even though there are no charges. We haven't eaten in the MDR in several years so I don't know if that is also the procedure there. When we were on Oceania, we were not presented with a bill in the specialty restaurants when there were no charges.

I think you will find that Bonnie's reply holds good for Aqualina and Prime C as well.

Our view is that although tips are included if someone stands out then we will give extra, but only at the end of the cruise. Although reading this thread making a contribution to the crew welfare fund seems a very fair way to reward Azamara's excellent staff.

Sent from my iPad using Forums