Jungle Mountain Trek

suen3boys

Sailing on POA on July 29th. Considering the Jungle Mountain Trek on Kauai and the Rainforest & Waterfall Hike on Maui. Two questions... how will my 7 and 9 year old boys fair on the hike. I know they're not old enough for the zipline. Both are heavily involved in sports so I think they'll be ok. The bigger question is my parents. Both are in they're mid 60's and have never really done any hiking. They are in average shape. How rough is the terraine for each of these excursions?

Sue, we went on the Kauai Jungle trek, wagon ride, zip line and had a wonderful time. I'm almost 50, not much of an athlete but do get to the ladies workout place 3-4 times a week usually, and carry some extra pounds but I found the hike very enjoyable and pretty easy paced because they stop and talk about the flora and fauna, etc. However, when you get to the part that goes down to the waterfall (after the river area stop where there is a small rope swing) it was more wet on the ground and the path got skinnier and steeper and then when you get down there you wade across this river that is over the knees. The guides all stand there across the river and guide you across very carefully but it is very slippery. I was one of the last to go back over when we left and by then most of the guides were already helping people back up the trail and so there was only one or two back down where I was. I ended up slipping right when I got in the river and sitting down on my butt and got a little extra wet *smile* but I didn't hurt anything. Then the guide held my hands and we "danced" across the water with him leading me walking backwards. He told me to just look in his eyes and pretend we were dancing and I did and made it across just fine.

Bring bug spray!

Emi

Archived